Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

How's my previous fuel map??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's my previous fuel map??

Ok so I was sent my previous fuel map to look at what it was like before. Not being a tuning guru I don't exactly know what I'm looking at here.

My question for anyone with knowledge is....just based on these values do you think it was worth a retune? I'm not sure if there was any other information that would be relevant ( I believe on the first road pull on this tune it exhibited 36 counts of knock).

The only reason I went with a retune is because the car was just driving terrible lately. It pulled ok, but daily driving was horrid. I was thinking it was a boost leak, but a blt didn't reveal anything. I have an exhaust leak around the test pipe and had one around the turbo flange gasket, but I replaced that one and it still didn't fix it.

Considering I was getting like 12mpg I wasn't happy with my mpg either. So could it have been my tune, or may there be something else wrong?? Everything I've checked so far looks normal, but I'm open to ideas.

On another note I was retuned (not completely as I only had lent PTE 880cc injectors at the time of the tune. Picking up a set of 1000's soon and going back for a retune) by the SpecOps guys. I will be posting the graph and full review when all is said and done. But in the mean time definitely impressed with their people skills and knowledge. They did everything in there power to answer all my questions and put forth the effort to make me happy. Even on an incomplete tune the car pulls SO much smoother.

Before 2-4 shifts were notchy and difficult. I thought it was more my transmission. With their tune I knocked out 2-4 pulls damn near effortlessly back to back.

Oh yeah and now i have Tephra too

Stay tuned for my full review.

Last edited by SRTRaceR04; Jul 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not at all an expert but it looks a little choppy. From what little I know about tuning you typically want smooth progressions both laterally and vertically. You don't usually want numbers going up and then down, and then back up again. Based on the choppiness of this map and the fact that you were getting poor gas mileage I'd say you made a good choice by getting it retuned. How does the car feel now?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

WAAAAAAAY smoother!! Like night and day. As of now it doesn't pull as hard through the RPM's (that'll happen when you're running 880's instead of 1000's and the tune isn't aggressive at all), but it feels so smooth.

I just like to try staying ahead of the curve so to speak. So if I can find out what issues could potentially cost me money, I like knowing if it's money well spent to correct them. Having your car tuned multiple times gets expensive.....and needless to say annoying.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Ok here is the virtual dyno graph. According to the tuner peak timing was 0* and 6* up top (again knowledgeable tuners might be able to understand this information more than I).

Again this is with 880s (car was tuned with 1000's before...which are effed up unfortunately). Nowhere near the finished tune. Oh yeah car is a 2.3 with a 50trim and full bolt-ons. The exhaust leak was giving problems dialing it in at full spool. But that will be taken care of before the real tune is complete.

Last edited by SRTRaceR04; Jul 26, 2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
Having your car tuned multiple times gets expensive.....and needless to say annoying.
Amen to that! That's why I went and had a wideband put it in and have a new map sensor on the way and have been learning to tune the car myself. It's taken a lot of time and study but I'm getting the hang of it. I've been trying to get the tune right on my car pretty much ever since I first bought it. I've had it in the shop twice now to be retuned and it's still not where it should be. And even though I'm only a little over an hour from AMS and Boomba, right now my wife is out of work and I don't have $400 to drop on a dyno tune, nor can I afford to spend the whole day at the shop so that they can get it right. I hope everything works out for you. Let us know how it goes.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ian0611
Amen to that! That's why I went and had a wideband put it in and have a new map sensor on the way and have been learning to tune the car myself. It's taken a lot of time and study but I'm getting the hang of it. I've been trying to get the tune right on my car pretty much ever since I first bought it. I've had it in the shop twice now to be retuned and it's still not where it should be. And even though I'm only a little over an hour from AMS and Boomba, right now my wife is out of work and I don't have $400 to drop on a dyno tune, nor can I afford to spend the whole day at the shop so that they can get it right. I hope everything works out for you. Let us know how it goes.
If you need some help feel free to pm us We have great pricing on E-Flash's which will be a great start for your car with very minimal, if any, adjustment.