Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MY buddy needs help with his subaru! please help! Tunning related!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MY buddy needs help with his subaru! please help! Tuning related!

Hey guys,

yes i can already hear the comments, "should have bought an evo..." lol but hopefully you all can give me some insight to relay to my friend about a problem he is having with his car. i really dont know if i should be posting here but thought maybe you all could give a little more insight in this area.

He drive's an 02 WRX bugeye

he recently had all of these parts installed and tuned at a local shop "DK Goodrich" in Frankfort:

FP68HTA turbo
GT Spec up pipe
GT Spec Headers
Tial 38mm EWG
Gimmick motor sport turbo inlet
DW 750cc injectors
Hallman pro Manual Boost Controller
Forge Bypass valve
Perrin Short Ram Intake
NGK vpower plugs gaped at .028

Here is the problem. The tuner was able to tune his car and everything worked out great. however, once tuned, the car now, will die after the engine is started. When the engine is turned on, it will start up, but then will kind of "Hiccup" (almost like it is struggling for fuel) and then die out after about 5 or so seconds. Sometimes the car will stay on for a couple minutes other times, just a few seconds till it cuts out.

the tuner can tune Subaru's but doesnt know where to start to fix one. I was hoping that maybe someone on here would have some insight or suggestions on how to fix the car? any ideas on what might be causing the problem?

my buddy is thinking that some sort of electric connection has come loose or maybe something with the fuel system. any more ideas?

thanks guys!
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what is it tuned with? what happens when he hits the gas while its acting up? if its just burbling along struggling to idle its super rich.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car in question is my car unfortunately haha

We have it tuned with Open Source tuning. From what my tuner has told me sometimes when he turns it on it idles for a few seconds or minutes depending on luck and then it just hiccups and dies.

also no visible CELs
Old Nov 3, 2010, 03:07 PM

Hey, I'm actually here from the subaru world and can help you out a little. Not that an evo would respond any differently, as this is most likely a mechanical issue and not a tuning issue. I'm going to go ahead and bet that you have a vacuum leak somewhere. What's most likely happening is that you are ingesting more air than your MAF meter is measuring (post-MAF leak) and that's throwing your fuel trims way off. Probably so much so that they are beyond the 25% variance this ECU is capable of. My suggestion would be to do whatever you can to find that leak, as there are several ways to go about that. My personal favorite is a simple boost leak tester. You can find directions on how to make one yourself on the IWSTI forum if they don't have a how-to here. I didn't look. It's simple to make and you can use it anytime you change vacuum or intake components just to be safe. Always do something like that to make sure you don't have post-MAF leaks prior to a tune if you're still using MAF metering. This can prevent the tuner from either chasing their tail trying to dial in fueling, or botching the fueling all together. Both are a PITA to correct after the fact. Good Luck!
Old Nov 8, 2010, 07:42 PM

time for an update:

DK (my tuner) is alive and well and trying to tune my car. Today I got a message that he has the car "running" but we are still experiencing some issues...
He says the idle is a little weird at times swinging between 12 and 14 on the wideband. I think that could possibly be because the throttle body might be slightly out of adjustment? like slightly too tight where the cables thread into the throttle? causing it to be slightly open at times.

He also says the car is not building any boost currently. not even mechanical boost. I think there was a vacuum line that has come off?

as always. open to ideas..

I will be looking into how to make a boost leak tester
Old Nov 10, 2010, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

it looks like now the main problem is the car is not building any boost what so ever.

it will go to 0 but no higher. wierd thing was, is it was making boost untill the injector was fixed and now it is not building any at all.

could a vacume line of come undone or maybe the EWG stuck open or something of that nature? possibly a bad hook up of the SRI being taken off to fix the injector? i would guess it is a MAJOR boost leak somewhere since it built boost before but now wont at all.

I thought maybe a rag or something lodged in the IC? but that dosent explain how it was creating boost before and now not.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

alright guys we went down to DK today to check on the car. we did everything we possibly could to get this car sorted out and nothing came up.

checked all the couplings, no leaks (that we could find, even used carb cleaner to spray around to see if the rpms shot up or anything.) wastegate is not stuck open, injectors arn't leaking. checked the manual boost controller and bypass valve all working fine and not leaking. cleaned the idle control valve and maf sensor. everything we could think of we checked and nothing, any ideas?

we can hear the turbo spool when floored, it just wont create any boost and the throttle response is horrible. got to push the gas pedal at least half way to get the car to rev up, throttle response is really slow and sluggish.

DK put a map on it so we could get the car home for another guy to take a look at it. right now the map that's on the car is making the car run real rich. At idle, however with this map, the car almost sounds completely normal and sits at about 1000 rpms. still no codes at all. wideband is still all over the place to 10.00 blinking to 20

Lastly the car was creating boost until the injector was fixed the first time now it wont create any boost at all. goes up to zero and then stops no matter how much you are accelerating.

any ideas guys? we are running out!