Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

WA State Emissions King County

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WA State Emissions King County

I just took my car in to get an emissions test done. I bought it about 4 days ago. Car runs great! Anyways I went into the emissions test and they told me I needed to drive the car more. Well I am pretty sure it has done 3 drive cycles already. I drive to work everyday for 38min each way. This car was also driven from pullman.

It was tuned by english racing. Has 300awhp. Intake, Greddy turbo back, and test pipe. There are some other modifications but I doubt they would even be a factor here.

Here in King County our emissions are an IM240.

So I'm not sure if they're saying it's not going into closed loop or if the test pipe is a factor or what ever. I am capable of getting my hands on a diagnostics tool and looking it over but I'm working this weekend so im SOL atm. Thankfully I was refunded my money.

Any ideas? Does anyone know why or what the reasoning is? I have the paper work but it didn't seem to be too detailed.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to see what the problem actually was before we canhelp you bro
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
You need to see what the problem actually was before we canhelp you bro

What do you mean? They told me that I needed to complete 3 drive cycles. They asked me if I recently flashed my ECU. Is there not enough information there?
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Let me grab my paper work.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Graphic
What do you mean? They told me that I needed to complete 3 drive cycles. They asked me if I recently flashed my ECU. Is there not enough information there?
Not really it could have failed for codes, or a specific OBDII test or something else...
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

This is what is written in hand writing on the bottom of the document:
Catalyst/Heated 02/02 Sensor

This is what is printed on the document:

On-Board Diagnostics System "Not Ready" for Testing.

The OBD system requires that after resetting or clearing the memory on the vehicles computer system the vehicle must complete a manufacturer drive cycle. During the drive cycle, the system performs a test of specific emissions control components and sets the readiness monitors to ready.

Normally, the OBD System checks the function of specific emissions control components during daily driving. If the vehicle was recently serviced or the vehicle's battery was disconnected or experienced low voltage (dead battery) then the vehicle may merely need to be driven a distance of 25 to 50 miles over a two to three day period. This normally allows the OBD System to complete its test and allows the vehicle to be "Ready for testing. Otherwise, you may need to checkw ith your dealer or repair facility.

A vehicle will be "Rejected" until the readiness monitors are set to ready. State regulation requires that while a 1996 to 2000 vehicle is running, if the check engine light is off and there are more than two readiness monitors "Not Ready," it cannot be tested. On at 2001 and newer model, the limit is no more than one readiness monitor.

Contact your dealer or repair facility if you have any questions about how to complete a drive cycle for your vehicle.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Turns out the guys from English racing were 15 min from my work here in WA They took care of my issues, test drove my car, answered my questions about any issues I was worried about. Turns out my cars in great shape and they did all that for only $40!! Great guys man! I'm very happy and excited to know my car is good and I can pass my emissions now. I will always take my car to them from here on out. Offered me a killer deal on my 60k as well! Looks like I'm gonna be taking a road trip down to Oregon