Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Where to start on tuning if i cant make a full throttle run?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what about cam angle sensor?.i had a problem with mine.would be driving freeway and all the sudden i would boost to pass and it would sputter pop.i thought plugs replaced them .ran fine real kwik then same problem.i was told cam angle sensor by a shop after i told them symptoms.so replaced it and no problem now..so may keep that in mind..but you would need a tune with boltons to get beneficial milage,power,a/f ratios etc..
does sound like boost cut in cold weather....but good luck...
Old Nov 28, 2010, 06:11 PM
JYD
Evolving Member

thought the sensor would throw a specific code. currently i just get p0300 and once p0304. they stay cleared if i stay out of boost.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 05:19 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
what gap are you setting your spark plugs at? Also you are going to need to find a way to measure boost, i recommend a JDM map sensor but you will need a tune for that to work. Either way with your mods you deff need a tune if you have any hope of getting this thing running right.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Dec 14, 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 10:47 AM
JYD
Evolving Member

the plugs are at .022. i cant get rid of this misfire and its driving me crazy!
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
disconnect the battery and let is sit for 30min...then reconnect start and drive--let the ECU relearn the changes, they may be small but enough to keep you from throwing codes and trying to run on an old fuel map. Worth a try.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this will sound weird but trust me, it has helped a few ppl with the same symptoms you have.

change your battery. put in a fresh new fully charged battery. if it doesnt work, you can return it. just say it wasnt needed or didnt fit or something like that.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:41 PM

Mine used to hiccup the same way... but it was.my spark plugs.. but u stated already that's not the ossue... gl with it man
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:09 PM
JYD
Evolving Member

now...pretty much @ around 12 psi, the car will misfire no matter what the weather...and when i say misfire....i mean like a rev limiter misfire. i dont know what the **** to do.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JYD
now...pretty much @ around 12 psi, the car will misfire no matter what the weather...and when i say misfire....i mean like a rev limiter misfire. i dont know what the **** to do.
What is the Revs going to at this point, I am having this issue with my SD setup. I will get to 3500 and its sounding like a 2 step but with the MAF I'm ok maybe we are the oppisite. I will see if my shop found my issue on monday and if they did I will share what it was with them.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

My friend had the same problem and couldn't figure it out for over a week. Then one day I was like wth, I let him borrow my MAF sensor and sure enough.... it fixes the issues. You can try to see if any of your friend can lend you their MAF sensor and see if that would help. GL!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

My tuner just emailedme, I had a corrupt rom file so freash tune here I come.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
IX Rs should be running an IX plug right?(MIVEC)> BPR's were VIII plugs i thought (non mivec)? Is your plug setup correct?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 08:36 PM
JYD
Evolving Member

im pretty sure the BPR plugs are ok for the IX.

i hope my mafs not ****ed up....i ran it for a while with no filter or airbox...but i have tried cleaning it with no change....very frustrating. i dont know anyone else nearby with an evo that i could borrow the maf from...
Old Dec 24, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JYD

i hope my mafs not ****ed up....i ran it for a while with no filter or airbox...but i have tried cleaning it with no change....very frustrating. i dont know anyone else nearby with an evo that i could borrow the maf from...
Well maybe its only a tune you need bad, as I stated earlier I just got notified that my rom had a corrupt file in it. I need a fresh Tune to correct it so maybe if you tune it that will solve your problem. If you lived closer I would let you borrow my MAF to test it to see.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JYD

Those plugs are for the 8 not the 9. Put the stock iridiums back in. The bpr8es are shorter than the 9 plugs.