Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.
View Poll Results: Virtual Dyno programs as good as the real thing?
Yes they are!
24.19%
No way!
17.74%
They are good to a certain point but not the same.
58.06%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Are the Virtual Dynos as good as the real thing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
^^ excelent point. I think it could be taken a little further as in "Good for who" Dynos are great, but i dont have one. So they arent doing me a whole lot of good. So for those of us who want to tune ourselfs, but dont want to pony up 50k+ for a dyno the VDR is a great alternative. For the professional tuner a VD is not as practical as a dyno for alot of reasons. Different tools for different circumstances. I do believe that a VD is more versatile then an actual dyno as you can use a VD anywhere in any specific instance where as a dyno is a pretty fixed resource.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
lol.. or if they are going back and forth on the exact same road it can also be accurate.. afterall we are measuring the differences in power when adjusting the tune, we dont care about the overall numbers. you can give me a car that reads 2000whp on virtual dyno and if the outcome result is 2100whp then that is all that matters.. even if the car was only 200whp and now 300whp.. i do not care about how high the number is, although its nice to be able to showcase your capabilities on ones setup with a high trophy number.

if you wanna do a pull downhill with a virtual dyno and post the map up and say thats your numbers, thats fine.. you're only cheating yourself in the long run.

if you read what i said initially, i did say theres more variables to throw off a virtual dyno then a real dyno.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:14 PM

Also thought i would mention Dyno's are by no means above tampering. Ive seen things done with correction numbers and temperature sensors to get all kinds of results. Thats why i believe the best real test is th 1/4 mile. Its tamper proof. You might run slower because of an issue but nothing short of real performance is gonna get you that Trap and ET.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Also thought i would mention Dyno's are by no means above tampering. Ive seen things done with correction numbers and temperature sensors to get all kinds of results. Thats why i believe the best real test is th 1/4 mile. Its tamper proof. You might run slower because of an issue but nothing short of real performance is gonna get you that Trap and ET.
ya the evoM community is well aware of this due to a few shady retired/banned vendors that i wont mention on here.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with tscompusa to a point. There arent more factors to throw off a virtual dyno run than a regular dyno run. The real dynos can be manipulated just as much as road dynos can. Ive seen it happen in real life, for production numbers. That is the reason dynos (Virtual or real) arent meant for peak numbers. They are mean to be a tuning tool but we are fighting a losing battle trying to argue that. Joe Public doesnt get it.

Also its all dependent on the human operator in both cases ... which is where the cheating comes in.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tscompusa
ya the evoM community is well aware of this due to a few shady retired/banned vendors that i wont mention on here.
I was around for all that. He shall remain un-named haha
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would someone please PM me this story and who they are ... I have an idea but I want to see if Im right.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my car maks almost 500whp on the dynojet setting, so yes, i like it.. HHAHAHA

(420 whp on local physical dynojet)
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bbarnhill
Would someone please PM me this story and who they are ... I have an idea but I want to see if Im right.
IM me, Ill fill you in.

Originally Posted by meat_EVO

If you dont mind, can you send your logs, car info and real dynojet chart. Id like to run the logs though VD and check it against the real chart.

email is jay@boostedtuning.com
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by meat_EVO

next time dont log down hill.