Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Injector firing issue?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Injector firing issue?

I am working on getting an evo 8 back on the road after an engine build. The back story as to why the engine was rebuilt:

The car was used for a couple hours at the road course. Upon driving home the vehicle decided to die. The owner thought it was due to possible over heating. So he had it shipped to my shop and we found it to be less than 20psi on all 4 cylinders. I pulled the head, and it was .020 warped. The odd thing is it was clear the engine wasn't severely over heated. The low end was in PERFECT shape, and the bearings looked almost new.

The engine was pulled and replaced with a 10:1 engine with a ported head. After installing the engine, the car does not start. I have checked crank position sensor, cam angle position sensor, AEM EMS, and cleaned the 1200cc injectors that had E85 sitting in them for 4 months.

The car is getting spark, and the double pumper set up is holding 40psi during cranking. The injectors show that they are firing on AEM, but we tested with a noid light, and it only blinks about 5 seconds after starting to crank, and then fades out after roughly 10 seconds of flashing.

I changed out the E85 starting map for a 91oct starting map to see if it was just not starting due to lower compression from the rings not being seated. The car pulls about 70psi, but keep in mind it's never been started. Some may say it's going to be a low compression problem, but this is basically the exact same motor I have built for a couple years (about 20 4g63s), and never once have I had a problem with no starting due to low compression.

The spark plugs were pulled from the holes, and there is no fuel on top of the piston crowns. There is hardly even the smell of fuel on the plugs so I know for a fact that they are not fouled. The car sounds like it wants to start for that small window of time when the injectors are actually firing.

Any ideas?
Old May 9, 2011, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you already hit the nail on the head possibly with an injector firing issue.

Ocilloscope time.

Last edited by autotechnica; May 9, 2011 at 02:17 PM.