Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Do I need a re-tune going to an open dump tube?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a re-tune going to an open dump tube?

I have a recirculating dump tube now and I am thinking to modifying my set up (plugging the hole in the manifold + re-directing the dump tube) to an open dump tube.

can this be done without a re-tune?
any informed answers will help.
thanx.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you'd be taking air that is "supposed to be there" out of the system, the "tune" will be looking for it, so I'd imagine if you went that route you'd absolutely need a re-tune.

But I'm a noob?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 09:22 AM

I think he is talking about exhaust dump. If you just do an exhaust dump I would think you'd be just fine.

If you are talking about the intake for some reason, then yes you will need a retune.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by C3L1CA
I think he is talking about exhaust dump. If you just do an exhaust dump I would think you'd be just fine.

If you are talking about the intake for some reason, then yes you will need a retune.
Oh man... I need more coffee!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well ur best bet would be to datalog your vehicle, because the exhaust dump shouldnt necessarily affect the afr as much due to the main outlet out of the 02 housing having the 02 sensor in it, now your backpressure should be significantly reduced, therefore some dataloggin to make sure your afrs didnt change and your not knocking other then that. Id say youd be ok other then you goin deaf from the increase in noise haha
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dastallion951
well ur best bet would be to datalog your vehicle, because the exhaust dump shouldnt necessarily affect the afr as much due to the main outlet out of the 02 housing having the 02 sensor in it, now your backpressure should be significantly reduced, therefore some dataloggin to make sure your afrs didnt change and your not knocking other then that. Id say youd be ok other then you goin deaf from the increase in noise haha
thanks for all of the feedback. this one here sums up what I was thinking. I will do the open dump tube, then check my AFR's, then go deaf...in that order LOL!!