Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Blown block due to bad tune???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Wow same here line was popped off. Question is was it the tune? Sounds like a yea. I mean that many miles and blew. You see people here say a tune Is to push your car to it's full potential but the point of doing it in a dyno is to push it and yet in a safe way. To know what going on. If that was the case I would just paid for street tune don't u think????

Originally Posted by iluvmydsm
We have very similar mods, had my car tuned made 407whp and 411wtq at 28psi on a dyno jet. Soon as I left the shop I did a 2nd to 3rd gear pull the car felt amazing so I continued on my 450 mile journey home, as I was cruising along 70-75mph on my phone talking away BOOM, car lost all power and smoke pouring out of the hood. Pulled over and found oil everywhere, so had the girl friend come down with a pickup and rented a u-haul and got the car back home. Tore down the engine and found #1 rod played peek ah boo continued to tear into the enigne trying to find answeres only to find out everything looked great bearings and everything looked fine. Only thing I found was my vacumn hose to my egr popped off so my conclusion was just too much torque for the stock rods. and that was with 24,000 miles on my Evo 8.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:23 AM

You are correct but people choose dyno tune for 2 reasons as u said full potential and your car running safe. If that was case I should just had paid for street tune. I've had a street tune before in my 240 and was happy with it. I'll understand if it blew 1 month or months later but the next day and heard of other people with same mods and more miles. Gives me a doubt. But every car is different.

Originally Posted by todd6027
catch 22

you went to your tuner to get the car mapped to its full potential and he did that, in fact he did it so well your rods wernt able for the torque.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post your timing map I think I know what it might be but I need to see the timing map first.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Saul what exactly happened to the block? Did you throw a rod? Blow a head gasket? You can have the best tune in the world, but if you have weak parts then you have weak parts. There's a reason they tell you for instance Wiseco rods are rated at 500hp, because they will most likely snap if you push them too hard.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:34 PM

Blew a rod. Stock bottom end. Never abused it only daily driven. Just thought it was time to step it up but took 20 steps back basic bolt ons nothing too aggressive.

Originally Posted by D-VO
Saul what exactly happened to the block? Did you throw a rod? Blow a head gasket? You can have the best tune in the world, but if you have weak parts then you have weak parts. There's a reason they tell you for instance Wiseco rods are rated at 500hp, because they will most likely snap if you push them too hard.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:37 PM

Don't have the map only actual dyno results. I will post tonight.

Originally Posted by C130flyer
Post your timing map I think I know what it might be but I need to see the timing map first.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 02:55 PM

I was planning on having a dyno tune with evo dynamics with e85, would like to see dyno results

Last edited by s2kKilla; Jan 1, 2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: none
Old Jan 1, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock rods, E85, and timing advance before peak torque (read "high load") equals shortened engine life span.

I would bet that his tune has too much timing at the onset of full boost AKA peak torque.

More tuners than you think tune this way with E85 and though it makes alot of torque it is extremely taxing to the rods and rod bearings.

I have even seen built motors fail prematurely because of this.

Post up that timing map, I would bet money that he has 2-4 degrees or more of timing advance between 3500 and 4500 rpm.

Last edited by C130flyer; Jan 2, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm surprised Kevin hasn't chimed in here...he's very well known and well respected in this community
Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:23 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so are you doing a 2.4? cheapest route!
im waiting for my built block to explode so i can do a 2.4
Old Jan 2, 2012, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by saulwitdaevo89
Blew a rod. Stock bottom end. Never abused it only daily driven. Just thought it was time to step it up but took 20 steps back basic bolt ons nothing too aggressive.
Damn thats crazy man! I wonder if it was an oil starvation issue. I've been running 26psi for a while and constanly blowing hoses off because I beat the crap out of it, however my bottom end is built. Was the bottom end ever taken apart for any reason? Also, what part of the rod broke? Did it break off from the cap, the pin, or was it bent in the middle? Any pics?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C130flyer
Stock rods, E85, and timing advance before peak torque (read "high load") equals shortened engine life span.

I would bet that his tune has too much timing at the onset of full boost AKA peak torque.

More tuners than you think tune this way with E85 and though it makes alot of torque it is extremely taxing to the rods and rod bearings.

I have even seen built motors fail prematurely because of this.

Post up that timing map, I would bet money that he has 2-4 degrees or more of timing advance between 4500 and 5500 rpm.
Lol...so you run less than 4* timing until 5500 on E85???
Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:35 PM
Former Sponsor

saul, your car made too much torque for your stock rods. that's it. the higher mileage doesn't help, but that's not the reason it failed. i've seen a bunch of motor failures, by tuners across the county including me with stock blocks. it's almost always the same, piston tops are clean, no pitting from detonation, gaskets ok, etc... rods just break in half. the logs from your tune showed no knock, i never let someone leave if i think it's an unsafe tune. i have tuned hundreds of cars on E85, and the timing is not "crazy aggressive". an E85 tune uses more timing then pump gas, that's how they make a lot more torque and power with the fuel. if you wanted it to be ultra safe, we should have stuck with pump gas and kept it around 350whp. i can't know the limit of each individual motor. some make 500whp, 400ftlb of torque for a hundred thousand miles, some make 390whp/390ftlb for a day and blow up. as bad as it sounds, if you don't want it to break under any circumstance, it's going to be slow.

i'm willing to help you in anyway i can (you messaged me two days ago, yesterday was a sunday). i've sent you prices for several different build options, and will work with you on price once we figure out what you want to do.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 04:06 PM

Found a great deal on a Evo 8 bottom en I'm just going to built that. I was thinking of doing the cheap route of a 2.4 the cheap route but with extra parts that have to be bought it's almost the same price. I really want to stay with what the car came with.

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
so are you doing a 2.4? cheapest route!
im waiting for my built block to explode so i can do a 2.4
Old Jan 3, 2012, 04:09 PM

Car is going to start being taking apart this weekend

Originally Posted by D-VO
Damn thats crazy man! I wonder if it was an oil starvation issue. I've been running 26psi for a while and constanly blowing hoses off because I beat the crap out of it, however my bottom end is built. Was the bottom end ever taken apart for any reason? Also, what part of the rod broke? Did it break off from the cap, the pin, or was it bent in the middle? Any pics?

Quick Reply: Blown block due to bad tune???