Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

user freindly tuning stand alone or factory ECU?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
user freindly tuning stand alone or factory ECU?

hi everyone i recently purchased a evo 8 that has been almost fully built, running a speed density setup with the APEXI power FC, top mount turbo kit 72 inlet and 82 outlet, tial wastegate and BOV, JMF intake, 1600cc injectors, stage 2 cylinder head 1mm over, stage 3 block, factory crank with balance shafts, aftermarket FMIC, ect, ect. the power FC doesnt seem very user friendly and logging is kind of a pain in the A**. anyways i would like to know what you are running as far as engine managment systems that may be more user friendly then the FC. any input is appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
stock ecu .. id go back to that.. there's lots of support on the forum for it and it does the job just fine.

aside from that id say the AEM interface is pretty nice and cut and dry.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:33 PM

sorry im still a noob to the tuning game which software do you use?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 01:05 AM
Former Sponsor

you'll need a programmer cable and evoscan to make it easy. I sell them both at http://tscomptuned.net/tuning.html if you scroll down.

also im not sure if you still have the stock ecu for your evo or not, but that will be required as well. once you learn how powerful the stock ecu is you will thank me for getting you involved with it.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:20 AM

have you ever used dsm link? if you have is evoscan anything like it?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 01:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IwantURevo
have you ever used dsm link? if you have is evoscan anything like it?
evoscan is the logging application, ecuflash is the programming/tuning interface for the stock ecu.

with that said, yes ive used dsmlink on my 1g and 2g dsm's and tuned dozens of other cars on it..

dsmlink is now called ecmlink and ecmlink is SORT of similar to ecuflash in a way. the old dsmlink was all slider based, ecmlink has the 2d mapping with load and rpm axis etc.

just get involved in ecuflash theres enough information on the forum for someone new to figure it out if they want to bad enough.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:31 PM

i really apperciate your help and if i do go that way you will def get my buisness.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:23 AM
Former Sponsor

no problem. glad i could help you.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the same situation, bought a built evo running an AEM standalone. Youll be amazed at the driveability of your evo once converting it back to stock ecu my evo is now a daily driver and is very smooth. Cant beat the stock ecu unless your going for crazy numbers.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Murderedout8
I was in the same situation, bought a built evo running an AEM standalone. Youll be amazed at the driveability of your evo once converting it back to stock ecu my evo is now a daily driver and is very smooth. Cant beat the stock ecu unless your going for crazy numbers.
With any ECU it needs to be tuned by a qualified tuner. I dont care if you are on the stock ecu or a full standalone, without a good tune they will both drive like crap. Now with the stock ECU it is much cheaper to get a good tune. Most standalones start at 800+ for a single map.

If you are not able to tune your own car and have to pay for it, I think the stock ECU wins every time. There are so many little things that need to be adjusted on the standalones that if you dont have the time to sit and adjust them, you will be fighting the ecu the whole time.

I am on an AEM EMS Series 1, and I love it. However it is not for everyone .