Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

tephra tune start issue.. 1.5 years strong..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy tephra tune start issue.. 1.5 years strong..

ok guys... i have re-written my tephra v7 rom over a dozen times attempting to fix my weird starting issue with Tephra... i have posted, searched every last thing i can think of... i have transferred all data over to tephra. can flash the rom to my car start the car and runs perfect! problem is soon as i shut off the ignition most the time it will not fire back up again. cranks but acts like no fuel is reaching the engine... now sometimes i can start the car several times before i get locked out.. but it seems to be random every single time and cant find a single variable that would cause it not to start... sometimes it will last one start.. sometimes a dozen. i figured it had to do something with the immobilizer hex so i disabled the immobilizer all together, but had no better results.. only other thing i can think of is possibly voltage?? my ecu seems to be so pissy over the voltage regardless how new the battery is while trying to flash... has anyone had similar problems..
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

anyone? I also have no alternating signal for either my injectors or coil plug durring crank. so that makes me thing that its the immobilizer. but i have checked and double checked the immobilizer and hex.. i have even disabled the bits for the immobilizer and still have the same issue. I want to use Tephra already!!!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
are you sure it wont crank if you floor the gas pedal the 2nd time and its not injector/tune related? a lot of injectors have warm start issues.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

ive tried flooring it while cranking with no different results. when i test with a multi-probe i dont get a tack signal to either injectors or coils. ive never had issues with my tune, i have gone threw every single value in tephra and cant see anything out of place.. having no signal to injectors and coil makes me think immobilizer possibly? but at this point im just scratching my head confused
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:17 AM
Former Sponsor

possibly immobilizer malfunctioning ya.. thats a hard one. what about valet mode being kicked on maybe at to low of rpm to allow the car to idle and malfunctioning?

maybe check the car for any grounded out wires or something of that sort? what about a turbo timer? does the car have anything aftermarket hooked up at the ignition?

so many things can stop fuel supply.. lots of sensors, relays, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

i checked for valet mode and disabled it, also set the rpm limit to like 7k.. when im trying to crank it after im "locked out" the check engine light does not flash nor the security light. I do have a greddy turbo timer but i have everything off due to draw while tuning. i have quite a few things like autostart and such but have never had any electrical issues before. the first start after flashing i can drive around as long as i want and the car runs fine. soon as i shut down the first time is where the issue is.. having aftermarket equipment connected to ignition for key cylinder can cause issues with tephra?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

can the immobilizer hex for a 2006 usdm evo be anything other than 0068??
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gallas
i checked for valet mode and disabled it, also set the rpm limit to like 7k.. when im trying to crank it after im "locked out" the check engine light does not flash nor the security light. I do have a greddy turbo timer but i have everything off due to draw while tuning. i have quite a few things like autostart and such but have never had any electrical issues before. the first start after flashing i can drive around as long as i want and the car runs fine. soon as i shut down the first time is where the issue is.. having aftermarket equipment connected to ignition for key cylinder can cause issues with tephra?
no, im just trying to see if something is shorting out or something like that though.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gallas
can the immobilizer hex for a 2006 usdm evo be anything other than 0068??
its always 0x0068 from what i recall.