Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

? about AL @ Dynoflash

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thebluesky
Wow, you are definitely in the minority here.
He came down to Colorado Springs once for a tuning trip to tune a few cars at Revolutions in 04, and holy **** was that a nightmare. He was consistently 2 hours or more late. He refused to do any dyno tuning as he felt the road tuning was better. He was a complete *** towards the owner from start to finish as well as to most of his customers. He treated everyone's car like **** and drove them dangerously through traffic almost wrecking multiple times. When a guy did throw his car on the dyno after his tune and showed Al it was too lean, he claimed the dyno was wrong and the owner didn't know what he was talking about. He even was a a complete douche in the parking lot and put his rental car up against a telephone pole to do burnouts with it.
The owner pretty much said the hell with Al and didn't open the shop for the rest of the tuning weekend on account of Al's douchiness and the fact that Al wasn't going to share one red cent with Revolutions for using the shop.
I remember this! That was about the time my Evo popped a ring land. We stood out in the rain waiting on his ***, forever! Then he took my Evo through the drive-thru @ McDonalds to stuff his face. I wasted so much money with that dick, but Warrtalon swore he was the 2nd coming of Christ.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by domyz
Exactly, IX idle is much smoother with upgraded cams vs a VIII.

Kaonashi, for your new map, its looking much more on target for your setup
Your timing could drop quicker on spoolup (120-200) it would help with knock and reduce spool time.
IMO well scaled and well tuned small maps can be enough smooth because interpolation will take care of the rest (if a car hits 300+ load, that's another story).
You should consider switching to V7 for easier to smooth big maps and especially for all the other settings and features.
No my idle issue is that the a/f is bouncing from 13.9-14.2 same with cruising a/f. I've tried ton's of things to fix it but I've had simular issue with this when the front o2 went out so im sure its that.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kaonashi
No my idle issue is that the a/f is bouncing from 13.9-14.2 same with cruising a/f. I've tried ton's of things to fix it but I've had simular issue with this when the front o2 went out so im sure its that.
(off topic sorry):
I wasn't refering to your idle issue, I was just giving you some advice that your spool up timing is still quite high. I don't know if you have knock on spoolup, but what I can say is that lower timing would give more energy to the turbine wheel. The engine cylinder pressure is weak by design before spool anyway. Not much torque to be gained from high timing. IMO it's better to trade some torque for this time and have a quicker spool. boost=torque. You could try to lower timing by overall 5 degree / dropping it faster from 120 load.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

(off topic sorry):
I wasn't refering to your idle issue, I was just giving you some advice that your spool up timing is still quite high. I don't know if you have knock on spoolup, but what I can say is that lower timing would give more energy to the turbine wheel. The engine cylinder pressure is weak by design before spool anyway. Not much torque to be gained from high timing. IMO it's better to trade some torque for this time and have a quicker spool. boost=torque. You could try to lower timing by overall 5 degree / dropping it faster from 120 load.
ahh
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bro crazy 8's bro
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Macaroni
Bro crazy 8's bro
it's magic number 9 here bro
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kinda feel bad for the guy but then again he did bring it upon himself.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

(off topic sorry):
Hmm what loads/timing would you suggest? I'm still learning all this still new to me, as far as knock on evoscan it is not recording any but I did have some spark blow out? around 3k about a week ago changed the plugs and it hasn't returned so i thought it was old plugs. I'm open to any opinions on how to fix it. since I'm trying to save what little bit of life is left in this motor.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm what loads/timing would you suggest? I'm still learning all this still new to me, as far as knock on evoscan it is not recording any but I did have some spark blow out? around 3k about a week ago changed the plugs and it hasn't returned so i thought it was old plugs. I'm open to any opinions on how to fix it. since I'm trying to save what little bit of life is left in this motor.
Example try to hit about 8* instead of 14* at 180/3500rpm. Go backward from there and raise timing smoothly to 100. I drop the timing even quicker, but it's a start.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

I also noticed that you rescaled the small maps, did you know that it affects some other maps scaling as well?
Definitely switch to tephra V7, you will love it. Fuel and timing big maps have their own scale. Copy/paste your actual maps to it and learn the funny new functions.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

I also noticed that you rescaled the small maps, did you know that it affects some other maps scaling as well?
Definitely switch to tephra V7, you will love it. Fuel and timing big maps have their own scale. Copy/paste your actual maps to it and learn the funny new functions.
I've been reading up on it, trying to understand how to convert it over trust me I would have if I had someone shown me already lol. It take's me longer learning by reading I'm a visual type learner.

What loads should i be looking @ since im on 26~psi

Somewhat like this?

Last edited by kaonashi; Nov 9, 2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

I've been reading up on it, trying to understand how to convert it over trust me I would have if I had someone shown me already lol. It take's me longer learning by reading I'm a visual type learner.

What loads should i be looking @ since im on 26~psi

Somewhat like this?
Switching to V7 is really easy mate. If you need help go to https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...hramod-v7.html
Ask you questions they'll be answered. (maybe by me )

At 26 psi I think you'd be good if your load goes up 320 max. You probably hit about 290-300 load anyway. Remember that this affect some other maps too:
Originally Posted by mrfred
The load axis for ignition advance is used for:

1) Ignition advance tables
2) EGR ignition advance trim table
3) low coolant temp ignition advance trim tables

The load axis for fuel is used for:

1) fuel tables

These tables (at least for the USDM Evo 9) should all be included in the latest version of ECUFlash. I think the only potential issue might be causing unintended ignition advance by changing the position of some of the EGR trim values to different load cells.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Egr is disabled, but i'll read up some more
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

In the vid where he beat the evo and talked all that ****, i wouldnt be suprised if all that evo had done was exhaust lol. Al even knows the evo is a better platform. I think he jumped ship because of the mess he made in the evo community. He admits in one of his vids that you CAN have a high hp street subaru, it just takes alot more money, time and effort to equal an evo. I had a free mail in flash done by him on my 03 evo back in 03 and the only difference i noticed was that my rev limiter was raised to 8k. The car actually lost some of its mid range ounch as well. Zero power improvements. he did a bunch of military members flashes for free for veterans day (very kind of him). I think al took on too much work for his one man army to habdle and got buried and started taking shortcuts. You can't shortcut a tune and not yield horrible resilts eventually. You notice he developed a good rep and then lost it at the peak of his popularity...TOO MUCH WORK FOR HIM TO HANDLE! Not making excuses for the con artist by any means but I think thats why he rose and fell.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Oh and ummm not sure if this is the same Al but it is in Stamford, CT....

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/06902-...n-1467937.html

looks like he made a booboo as a lawyer if this is him...this was in 2002 right when he started car tuning...may have switched professions for a reason???

Quick Reply: ? about AL @ Dynoflash