Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

installed my UTEC today. Here is a preliminary review..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed my UTEC today. Here is a preliminary review..

O.K. So i took a vacation day today and installed my UTEC and tuner. Lets see, where to begin. I started with the UTEC. Very easy to install. Took about 30 minutes. Then went for a ride. It pulled a bit harder but i am getting a random miss under hard accelleration in the 5-7K RPM range. So i headed back to the shop to install the tuner. What a pain in the ***. Getting that fat harness through the hole on the passenger firewall was a hat trick, but i got it. Then the next PITA is where to mount the tuner module. Its big and heavy and lots of wires going to it. I decided to leave it in the glovebox for now. I had to cut out a square in the rear of the glove box and route the wires through. The muffler shop charged $15 to weld the bung on. The only thing i didnt get finished is the knock sensor. I cant find a place to mount it. There is a bolt i took out on the cam positioning sensor housing. The one closest to the water neck. Ill get a longer bolt and try that. If anyone knows a better place, please share. Its quite cool to see the A/F ratio when driving. The stock map under hard acelleration dipped down to 9.8-10.2. Map 1 held 11.1-11.5 with my mods. It seems that the supplied map fit me quite well. Cruise at 75-80 was a steady 14.6-14.7. I think i like the tuner. The red led would look nice on my dash though, instead of in the glovebox. I wonder if it could be disconnected and remote mounted. Oh well. I didnt get the laptop today. If you didnt get the remote map switch, i highly recommend it. Its quite nifty the way it works. If you have one you know what i mean. Ill get that mounted sunday. Now i have tuner questions!! What are some DO NOT EXEDE numbers??!! Oh and i cant believe ime not hitting any knock. Our cheap *** gas is really bad. But the check engine light never strobed. I did feel timing pull though. I gotta get that laptop. Now i need to figure out where to mount the tuner. I wish it was plastic!! I swear its machined out of a block of aluminum. Forget double sticky tape. REVIEW- its early. I need to play with it. Quality is first rate, almost over kill. Its nice to see a little workmanship once in a while. Instructions are marginal. They need updated or somthing. But i must have called TXS a half a dozen times and got a live person AND answers to all my questions!!! Anyone considering an ECU better check this one out. You wont be dissapointed. My biggest complaint is i cant see the LED with it in the glove box and its too big and weighs too much to put anywhere. BUT!!! i was told by TXS that the gameboy add on will display A/F ratio real time!! Now that i can mount somewhere. Too much coolness... Buy one, you will like it!! RRR
Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice to here they are live people to talk to, sounds like a nice tool. if i didn't have the AEM i would be all over this.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 01:15 AM

tuner

i didn't know they had a self tuning thing that u could get for this. how much extra is that? and where did u order your utec from
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Z1 Performance has them, Nino's Auto has them also..

And from what I can tell, there is no AutoTune.. But it does place the wideband O2 values in the same data logging and dashboard as the UTEC's info..
Old Mar 13, 2004, 06:22 AM
EvoM Guru

BTW Where did you finally run the wiring? getting ANYTHING through that firewall is a B**ch..
Old Mar 13, 2004, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

malibuJ, you are correct, no auto tune yet but is does list the A/F values on the utec logger. That is a huge help when tuning i hear. Here is how i ran the wires. Disassemble the serial cable housing. You are left with just the plug part. There are two screws and it comes apart. Then i took a 24" cold chissel. Looking down at the hole in the firewall with the rubber plug that is on the far passenger side behind the strut tower. There is a picture of it on the board somewhere. Thats how i found it awhile ago. I chiseled two slits in the metal edge of the circle. You can only chisel in about 3/8" then you hit the wheel well. But by making 2 slits as far apart as possible, i had about 1/2" between them, you can fold down that little piece (1/2") wide and that gave me enough room to fit the disected plug through the hole. I did NOT remove any wires from the plug, but had to bend them at a 90' angle and just push hard. Then fed them through a hole in the glovebox i cut. If my wife brings home the camera, i will post some pictures. RRR
Old Mar 13, 2004, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

I definitely need to see a picture of that.. I have an idea which plug your talking about, the one on the firewall itself, and not on the inner fender.. How did you actually reach in there to get everything through, it looks cramped.. (I haven't gotten the tuner yet obviously, but the exhaust shop welded a bung in my downpipe a while back for dyno tuning)
Old Mar 13, 2004, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Re: installed my UTEC today. Here is a preliminary review..

Originally posted by rraulston
O.K. So i took a vacation day today and installed my UTEC and tuner. RRR
Ray,
If you can log the car and send me copies of the logs from logger #1 in the UTEC, I can help you tune it via Email. I can also help you figure out your high RPM miss. I bet more then anything it has to do with either knock (and you didn't notice the CEL flash) or it's an ignition advance issue where you cross into a higher load site with less advance then drop back into a lower one with more ignition advance almost instantly.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com
Nathan@turboxs.com
Old Mar 13, 2004, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Nathan, you guys ROCK!!! God, ime so glad i bought this from a company willing to assist like this!! O.K. I bought a Dell today and everything is talking to each other. I will go do a log tomorrow (SUN). I need to know how to do it though. Do I do a 3rd gear full throttle to redline pull or what?? Can anyone help me out with how to do a proper log??? RRR
Old Mar 14, 2004, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Good stuff, I am glad you got everything working and you are pleased so far.

Basically if you want to make a datalog you will need to go to the the utec's main menu and select logger 1. That is the easiest way to do it. Then once your are done you can just replay it from the main menu. If you want to save it you must use the capture text option and save it as a filename you can remember what it refers to. Then slect the start option. Now when you are ready to make a log you can hit the number 1 logger in the main menu. I recommend you do a pull in 3th or 4th gear. From about 2k to redline. To stop the logger hit the the space bar. Now you can go back and stop the capture text option.

I am writing this post from my sidekick, so this is all from memory. If I am not mistaken if you hold the SHIFT + number 1 in the main menu your log will be saved in csv file output for you to analyze in excel. This is a decent feature we use all the time.

Also the capture text is a option on the hyper terminal menu bar.

Alright we hope you get some logs and let us know how you make out.

Any question you have right away you can email me at maine@tmail.com. I will respond fairly quick.

Have a nice weekend!

Jermaine~
Www.turboxs.com

Last edited by Imprezd; Mar 14, 2004 at 10:37 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

It's Shift +1 to make the .csv log, but otherwise I'd say Jermaine has got it. I recommend setting up the capture text command BEFORE you start the log. If you do it my way, the log will always have the headers in it.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com