Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Pump gas - high boost - help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pump gas - high boost - help

I have a built 2.0L with a BBK full turbo. I would like to make the most power I can on 93 pump gas which pretty much means something close to 30psi.

Problem is I don't know what kind of timing to start with. The BBK spools to 30psi just before 4k rpm and even with timing around 3* I still see some knock. Running less than 3* seems abnormal to me. I was hoping some of you would share your knowledge to steer me in the right direction.

I'm not asking for a copy of your tune, though that would be very generous, rather just some rough numbers to start massaging to dial my tune in.

Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old Oct 5, 2014, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I would lower timing where it knocks by a degree to start with (how much knock are you seeing?). Less than 3 degrees might be okay at peak torque on pump at 30psi. If you have to keep it less than 3 degrees as rpm rises further then I would say your boost is too high for the setup you have. I would also see if lower boost allows you to run more timing such that you make more power. Also try richening up the AFR and see if that allows more timing such that you make more power (what AFRs are you running?).

You are going to need a dyno or virtual dyno under controlled conditions to find out what combination of boost, afr and timing works best.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2.4L w/ stock turbo knocks it's a$$ off. Even at 6600ft elevation. Mostly just around 3500 rpms... though it won't take a lot of timing anywhere else.. but in that area my timing dips into negative numbers. It's lame, but it's what I had to do to keep it happy (this is after adjusting knock sensitivity down .... i have noisy JE pistons).

The most power comes from the right combo of boost/timing/afrs as mentioned above.. more boost doesn't always mean more power- especially on pump fuel. Also, keep in mind that super rich afr's can induce knock as well. Probably don't want to go richer than 10.8. Shoot for 11-11.2
Old Oct 8, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have my timing at 1* between 4500-5000rpm where I hit peak load on 91 octane.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the input. I would love to see the timing map on a high boost bolt on pump gas stock turbo car.