Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

can we get an update on the MAP kit and Gameboy adapter..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2004, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can we get an update on the MAP kit and Gameboy adapter..

hey guys, just wondering when you will have a MAP kit done and the gameboy adapter ready to ship?????
Old Mar 29, 2004, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

The gameboy cables are in the final stages of production and testing. Expect them to be released soon

What do you mean by "map kit?"

If you are referring to the plug in MAP sensor that will allow you to change load references and use closed loop boost control on the UTEC, those sensor kits are running a little behind. We recommend using a standard GM3 bar sensor for now.

If you mean the MAF to MAP conversion, we have not set a target date on that conversion kit and have other upgrades that will take priority such as fuel cut elimination, raised rev-limits, and software support for a much larger hot-wire MAF.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the part #'s for the Map sensor, pigtail and Molex parts, I'll post the info for ya if its ok with the TXs guys.. It should take about 10 minutes to make the cable. You don't even have to drill/tap holes to mount the sensor, you can use HEAT/WEATHER resistent double sided tape to hold it up against the firewall in an out of the way place.

And if someone from TXS needs someone to test out the Gameboy interface, PM me, I have access to all the GBA hardware.. Not looking for a free product, just an opportunity to test out new stuff..
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
I have the part #'s for the Map sensor, pigtail and Molex parts, I'll post the info for ya if its ok with the TXs guys.. It should take about 10 minutes to make the cable. You don't even have to drill/tap holes to mount the sensor, you can use HEAT/WEATHER resistent double sided tape to hold it up against the firewall in an out of the way place.

And if someone from TXS needs someone to test out the Gameboy interface, PM me, I have access to all the GBA hardware.. Not looking for a free product, just an opportunity to test out new stuff..
Post up the part numbers and I’ll add them to the manual so people have access to this information.

I'll contact you about the gameboy testing when we actually have the smart-cables ready to go.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Molex 4 pin Recepticle housing # 39-01-2040
Molex receptacle crimps 18 to 24 AWG P/N 39-00-0039

Get these parts from www.mouser.com (small quantity purchases OK)

The UTEC map sensor Molex plug pin-out is as follows

Pin 1 +5V
Pin 2 MAP signal
Pin 3
Pin 4 0V
----------------------------------
(First Gen) Sensor - GM part # 16040749, Holley PN 538-23. The Echlin equivalent 3 bar sensor is PN

CRB219481
(First Gen)Pigtail GM part # 12085502

Replaced by (USE THESE PART #'s Instead)

Second Gen Sensor (3-bar) # 12223861
Second Gen Pigtail # 15305891

Get these parts from www.gmpartsdirect.com
----------------------------------------
MAP Sensor Pinout...

1 Bar MAP sensors are used on NA(naturally asperated) vehicles.
2 Bar MAP Sensors are used on forced induction vehicles(Turbo & Supercharged). They can measure up to 2x

the apmospheric pressure(29.4psi), so that means it can measure up to 14.7psi boost(the atmosphere is

14.7psi + 14.7psi from the turbo/supercharger).
3 Bar MAP sensors can measure up to 44.1psi, which translates to 29.7psi boost from a Turbo/supercharger.

They all share a common pinout, although the connector keying may be different:
Pin A -- Ground
Pin B -- Sensor output
Pin C -- +5 volts
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

If you guys want, I'll post up some photos of the connector and MAP sensor for visual reference (and how to make the cable) THe only difficulty you might have is finding a way to crimp the recepticles since the molex needs a decent crimping tool which I don't have, since its small, but I think you can do it with a needle nose pliers..

Oh, and for you CompuGeeks, the Molex connector is the same connector used on ATX+12 (The power supplies for the P4 processor) if you have a junk one laying around or aren't using it for your motherboard.. Its got 4 pins..

[pre]
+---||---+
| O O |
| |
| O O |
+--------+
[/pre]

(My best text rendering of what it kinda looks like.. you can't mistake it for a regular hard disk or floppy drive power connector)

Last edited by MalibuJack; Mar 29, 2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

I'll update the manual today with those part numbers and try to Jermaine to put it up on the site later this afternoon.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Agh, crud, you get my point.. its a square..
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

The update to the manual is now online with the proper part numbers.

Thanks for the information.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com
Old Apr 24, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

If you guys want, I'll post up some photos of the connector and MAP sensor for visual reference (and how to make the cable) THe only difficulty you might have is finding a way to crimp the recepticles since the molex needs a decent crimping tool which I don't have, since its small, but I think you can do it with a needle nose pliers..

Oh, and for you CompuGeeks, the Molex connector is the same connector used on ATX+12 (The power supplies for the P4 processor) if you have a junk one laying around or aren't using it for your motherboard.. Its got 4 pins..

[pre]
+---||---+
| O O |
| |
| O O |
+--------+
[/pre]

(My best text rendering of what it kinda looks like.. you can't mistake it for a regular hard disk or floppy drive power connector)
Hi Jack,

Do you have photos for the MAP sensor and the connector?

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Hmm.. I'll have to take a picture of it already installed in my car.. I spent alot of time "Stealthing" everything I've installed that Its hard to see what is stock and what is added on.. But I'll try to snap a few tomorrow and post them.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm.. I'll have to take a picture of it already installed in my car.. I spent alot of time "Stealthing" everything I've installed that Its hard to see what is stock and what is added on.. But I'll try to snap a few tomorrow and post them.
Thanks!