Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Anyone using the ARC intake with the UTEC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2004, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone using the ARC intake with the UTEC

Do you have the ARC intake and the UTEC?
Old Mar 30, 2004, 01:27 PM

I've heard the utec is the schiznet but have not heard of one in an evo yet. I'm still waiting for turbo upgrade then I'll get the utec
Old Mar 30, 2004, 01:40 PM

The EVO UTEC has been available for some time now. I actually should re-ask the question as who has the ARC intake and maybe plans to install a UTEC.

I will explain the reason I am asking this based on the responces.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

We tuned one with the ARC intake. The map was weird, but not as bad as the one you guys did. It ran around 12.7:1 AFR on the stock ECU at totally stock boost.

As we turned up the boost the box seemed to read a little better, but we still were a far ways off from the stock stage 1 map.
-Nathan
Old Mar 31, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

I've got the UTEC in my EVO. The best that Ron @ Axis Power could get for A/F's w/ the HKS RS was high 12.5. I am putting my stock airbox on today!!!!!! I think that the intake is way to close to the MAS. The hot intake temps have got to be throwing it off. Just my thoughts.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by jerastan
I've got the UTEC in my EVO. The best that Ron @ Axis Power could get for A/F's w/ the HKS RS was high 12.5. I am putting my stock airbox on today!!!!!! I think that the intake is way to close to the MAS. The hot intake temps have got to be throwing it off. Just my thoughts.
Your intake has nothing to do with your a/f ratio. If your lean, which 12.5 is lean, then you need more fuel.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 08:00 PM

"ErnieT" you are of course correct. The issue with the ARC intake is that it does throw off the MAF sensor readings. This means that the TurboXS base map will not work correctly.

You can see the effect of the ARC intake by simply logging the short term and long term fuel trims via the OBDII port. With the ARC intake installed we saw these at +18%. The ECU was dumping in loads of fuel to compensate for it.

A UTEC map for this intake requires a completly different fuel map which also includes 0% fueling.

Nathan - Were you refering to the fueling or the timing. The timing was very conservative in our map. This was two fold, crappy 92 Octane gas and customer worry. I wanted to make sure they had no knock issues. Customers removed this intake now so I doubt I will get a chance to fine tune it. Shame really I like a challenge.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Mick,
The one we tuned was not as bad on the fuelling side as the one you tuned. It ran at richest 12.7:1 under stock ECU control. It would have been nasty with the basemap, but I knew what to expect since you had given me the heads up.

-Nathan
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ErnieT

Your intake has nothing to do with your a/f ratio. If your lean, which 12.5 is lean, then you need more fuel.
So, the fact that the HKS filter sits right on top of the MAS has nothing to do w/ A/F ratio? I put my stock air box back on tonight and had it re-tuned at http://www.axispwerracing.net and holy hell, what a difference. Same tuner, same fuel pump, different intake......?????? Am I wrong here? Please let me know.

tonights dyno hp / torque

boost and a/f

Peace,
Jeremy
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

has anyone thought of this......you put on a metal intake tube that runs right behind the radiator. Ime quite sure it gets hot under there. Real hot in AZ. so the intake air is heated up also. But the rubber intake is well rubber and will not transfer as much heat to the incomming air. Can this make a difference??? I am REALLY thinking about putting my stock airbox back on too..... RRR
Old Mar 31, 2004, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Well I had a very good tuner (Ron @ Axis) tell me to put the stocker back on, and I went from 258.9 whp to 287.4 whp. no other change than the intake and the appropriate tweeks because of the intake change. Hmmmmm?

Last edited by jerastan; Mar 31, 2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 05:05 AM

So, the fact that the HKS filter sits right on top of the MAS has nothing to do w/ A/F ratio? I put my stock air box back on tonight and had it re-tuned at http://www.axispwerracing.net and holy hell, what a difference. Same tuner, same fuel pump, different intake......?????? Am I wrong here? Please let me know.
Peace,
Jeremy
I wasn't trying to start a war. I've had a few fast cars in my day. My last was a 10sec RX7 daily driver, which has to be tuned perfectly or your lookin at a new motor. The HKS filter sitting so close to the MAF may give you some different readings and send your intake charge temps. a bit higher, but on a dyno, your not under load, so an intake is not going to make you run leaner or richer. Ask your tuner.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ErnieT

I wasn't trying to start a war. I've had a few fast cars in my day. My last was a 10sec RX7 daily driver, which has to be tuned perfectly or your lookin at a new motor. The HKS filter sitting so close to the MAF may give you some different readings and send your intake charge temps. a bit higher, but on a dyno, your not under load, so an intake is not going to make you run leaner or richer. Ask your tuner.
no war started. i'm just trying to learn about this stupid MAS. i understand what your saying about the load, but what gives? the difference was huge, in favor of the stocker?
jeremy
Old Apr 1, 2004, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

back to the stocker for me too........
Old Apr 1, 2004, 01:25 PM

no war started. i'm just trying to learn about this stupid MAS. i understand what your saying about the load, but what gives? the difference was huge, in favor of the stocker?
jeremy
After asking my tuner, I was informed I was wrong....I've never had to deal with mass air before. Total different ballgame than speed density, which is what Im used to with my RX7. I found out, yes your intake can and will make a difference with your airfuel ratios, depending all on how the mass air sensor is interpretting signals, airflow, etc......So your right, Im wrong!! lol......good to know before I spend $300 for a HKS intake when I can probably just put a drop in K&N to accomplish the same if not better results. Can't wait to get my Power FC.

Quick Reply: Anyone using the ARC intake with the UTEC