Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
LOL Thats not a log file from my car not my knocks I grabbed something off the forum to test with.... I'm working on getting a bulk of those bluetooth interferaces once I'm certain they are "hackerproof" so I'll let you know when I have them available.

I think I found a developer board that can be integrated inside the UTEC chassis, I'll forward you TXS guys that info..

I should have a GUI snapshot up tonight.. Still need a giant log file with ALL The columns used that the UTEC uses (Shift-1 log through the txs tuner showing utec and tuner info)
Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh, I'll put a picture of the bluetooth hardware up in a few days, I'm waiting for a smaller version that looks prettier. (and fits without a cable)
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Wow.. just demonstrated the remote datalogging ability (and tuning ability) over the Internet to two users..

Imagine.. tuning on the dyno, with your TXS Guru in another state?
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good man, just ordered my utec today. I may be interested in a bluetooth package depending on price....
Old Apr 6, 2004, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Wow.. just demonstrated the remote datalogging ability (and tuning ability) over the Internet to two users..

Wow cool, impressive...

This is really exciting to hear!
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow remote tuning!! Very cool! I hadnt even thought about that! I got the OK from NI today to distribute the Lab View files for the logger Im working on! The first download is kind of big and I havent gotten as far as MJ has gotten. Mostly what I have right now is just a play back system for the logs you capture. I also dont have the WIdeband installed yet so I dont capture the AFR stuff but thats easy to add. Ill post a link later tonight for everyone to look at. Ill also post it in the thread I started so we can keep MJ's and my tools seperated!
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

PDX, a graphical playback with wideband would be awsome. Make it colorfull!!!! RRR
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks for the encouragement guys.. Ok.. I just revised the entire app.. Seperated the core listener from the dashboard for better performance, the listener can now handle multiple connections (several hyperterm plus several dashboards can run at the same time from the same data.. This should help more with remote tuning, but also makes data sharing easier.. working on smoothing the data transfer through telnet so its not bursty when playing on the Dashboard)

The Pocket PC version is also pretty much working, it is a GUI Dashboard and logger, and uses the serial port directly. (its based on core code from my earlier version)

The GUI is still ugly, but I want the core to work reliably and make sure it can handle terminal emulation and map uploads/downloads and logging without errors..

I've also revised the core components to cooperate with more than just the UTEC, the core can now listen to any serial device and I'll have a serial port emulator so applications that use serial devices, will now work (My scantool.net software and hardware also work on this setup) but the dashboard is UTEC specific.

So far the application works in most versions of windows (98,ME,NT,2K,XP) However they all need some form of networking installed. This is where I begin to make tactical decisions on the direction the app is taking.. so I'm relying on you guys input..

Next steps, the CORE will run as a service under Windows XP, NT, 2000..... there will be two dashboard versions, 1 which works with Windows 98,ME and PocketPC2002+, this one still uses serial port directly. There will also be a TCP-Dashboard which will connect to the core service over TCPIP (and works with all current windows versions)

Don't worry, I'll have everything clearly explained and labeled as I get my framework code completed and can build release code with the required features so it does whats expected.

So far ALL versions handle data rates of 115Kbps with very little latency, and will be preconfigured to work with the UTEC (19.2Kbps) by only selecting the serial port.

Hmm.. I think thats it so far..

Oh yeah.. the app is still under 200k, if you need the runtimes, its an additional 1.2mb (most updated versions of windows already have everything needed to run)

I picked up a few free modules for gauges and graphing, so playback and realtime display will start to work in a week or so.

ANYWAY, now that my proof of concept works, I'm going to rewrite the core code and have a alpha version for some of you folks to test out.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Almost 2 years ago when we released the UTEC to the WRX guys lots of people talked about doing something like this. It never happened.

I think it's very cool that you've jumped into this with both feet.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:41 AM

Very cool.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by nmyeti

Almost 2 years ago when we released the UTEC to the WRX guys lots of people talked about doing something like this. It never happened.

I think it's very cool that you've jumped into this with both feet.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com
The funny part is this was an unintended side effect of the method I chose so the dashboard and terminal emulator can run at the same time.. I am wondering how this would look over a cellular modem to an internet connection.. remote datalogging while driving.. can you guys forward me the dev kit info (PM me, did you get my e-mail?) Any possibility you guys can loan me a "nonfunctional" UTEC "Emulator" (not intended or functional for use in a car) so I can finish development? I know thats asking alot but I need a real UTEC terminal/user interface to set up the input conversations so it can transfer maps and set and parse the screens without taking mine out of my car every 20 minutes..
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:53 AM
EvoM Guru

hey Ray, Thank's for the log file! Looks like it'll work for what i'm doing at the moment!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

The funny part is this was an unintended side effect of the method I chose so the dashboard and terminal emulator can run at the same time.. I am wondering how this would look over a cellular modem to an internet connection.. remote datalogging while driving.. can you guys forward me the dev kit info (PM me, did you get my e-mail?) Any possibility you guys can loan me a "nonfunctional" UTEC "Emulator" (not intended or functional for use in a car) so I can finish development? I know thats asking alot but I need a real UTEC terminal/user interface to set up the input conversations so it can transfer maps and set and parse the screens without taking mine out of my car every 20 minutes..
I think I have an EVO UTEC here that I can loan you. The best bet at this point is to send me an email with shipping information. I'll send back the development pack and ship out a UTEC. I need to talk to Pete to see which board he wants me to send you so it might be a day or so before it will go out, but I’ll try to help you in anyway possible.

-Nathan
www.turboxs.com
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Thanks guys for all the help.. Attached is an image of ALPHA v0.0.300 (or so)

I basically scrapped my old code and started from scratch with a much better framework.

Notice that the RPM and AFR "Gauges" (Digital for the moment) works now.. the AFR will change color when its in a range.. blue for rich, yellow for "in the zone" (I need to know what safe values are for the "zone" though) red if its too lean, or off the scale

I'm "Almost there" also, in the picture you'll notice the telnet terminal session running at the same time! I just need to put some code to disregard extraneous input..

you can have several telnet sessions running at the exact same time.. heck, I could write a java client to update a webpage in real time if I needed it..

There are still a few quirks in the string handler (it needs to flush every so often when the UTEC Standard UI's are running since it rarely gets Linefeeds when refreshing a VT100 screen) I also need to filter some out of bounds characters that appear as placeholders in the log files..

anyway.. here it is..
Attached Thumbnails MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash-utecdemo_new.jpg  
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Don't worry.. I'll have a MUCH nicer layout for the instruments when I finally get all of them reading correctly..

Also, I plan on utilizing all of the "Shift logging" logs.. since there are some interesting alternative logging formats that I've seen..

Quick Reply: MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash