Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2004, 09:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So what sort of GUI do you guys want? Gauges, Numeric? Peak hold functions? Peak "snapshot" functions? I happen to prefer numeric instrumentation with graphing so that is what I'm going to attempt first.. Though the graphing will be visible on a different form..

Interestingly enough, I was able to send the output over another COM port to a Matrix Orbital Vacuum Florescent display.. Not all that useful except it looks cool..

Next step is to port this new code (once the GUI is complete) to PocketPC 2002+ and you'll have a handheld datalogger/dashboard (the PPC Version won't have the TCPIP Features)
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
killer Jack, if you need another log let me know. Sorry for some of the >25. when you let off the gas the engine runs too lean. Ray
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh yeah, one more thing before I forget.. I've already sucessfully uploaded and downloaded maps through the TCP-IP interface.. one step closer to "Distance tuning"
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Jack, i think a nice digital gauge layout with all the pertinent info including boost, rpm, W/B, timing ect. Wide band reading green when safe red when lean yellow when rich maybe?? I too want to know the best W/B readings at any given load at any given rpm. And then have a scrolling chart that plots this info and does it real time??!!!! o.k. o.k. ill stop there.... Ray
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh.. I noticed something odd about that log you sent me.. the AFR column had no periods in it that time.. Odd eh? Keep sending me long log files, I'll stitch them together to get long playbacks through my emulator so I can get the playback feature.. The good news is I got the speed down that the file needs to be played back at in order to simulate real time playback.
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

o.k. the last one was 15K. Heck ill send you about 10 minutes worth........
Old Apr 7, 2004, 11:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally posted by rraulston
Jack, i think a nice digital gauge layout with all the pertinent info including boost, rpm, W/B, timing ect. Wide band reading green when safe red when lean yellow when rich maybe?? I too want to know the best W/B readings at any given load at any given rpm. And then have a scrolling chart that plots this info and does it real time??!!!! o.k. o.k. ill stop there.... Ray
Hey, at least your thinking along the exact same lines I have been.. I've always used green (blue) to represent rich, and red to represent lean, and yellow to show when its "in the zone" because your peripheral vision picks up yellow and red better than green.. (the same reason my shiftlight is yellow)

Ok.. now someone just needs to tell me the AFR ratio range that is "in the zone" for a good mixture on this car? from 11.xx to 12.xx?? I'll setup default traps for it, and then you guys can go and adjust it accordingly.. I can even set up the parameters to trigger an audible alarm if you want. and the RPM Display changes color to yellow as a shiftlight, and red when you go over 7000rpm.. Kinda pointless unless you plan on using this as part of an in-car computer display that you can see easily, or are doing remote realtime viewing or playback..

The scrolling graph WILL have some function by Sunday, I'm pondering the best way to scroll a EKG/Tickertape style graph.. I think I'll plot it against time so you can print out the "ribbons" on playback later and examine them..
Old Apr 8, 2004, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is just what I am after, great work!
MalibuJack, I bet no one has a grip on the best afr, everything has been about knock control. And, I suppose that is the best that we can expect unless one uses a water injection system.
From a post several weeks ago the utec guys were saying 11.5
iirc.

keep it up, for a guy on the east coast you do some late posting
Old Apr 8, 2004, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

haha, Yeah I'm a bit of a night owl.. I work from 4pm to midnight, and generally work on my projects from 1-3am
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Jack,

What you are doing is truly a GREAT tuning tool for this community. Once I get my UTEC in I will be glad to help you in any way, and with any updates or ideas you may need to further advance development.

RED 15.2-20:1 (decel)
YELLOW 14.1-15.1:1 (cruise)
BLUE 12.3-14.0:1 (onset)
GREEN 11.0-12.2:1 (WOT)

Even on 91 octane below 11:1 is just rich.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow.

The more I read, the more I wish to get the UTEC. Keep up the good work.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:43 PM
EvoM Guru

a quick update.. I tailored the Dashboard for use with an in-car computer.. all the digital dashboard will be done tomorrow, playback and graphing should be working by the end of the weekend.

More cool features to come (Peaks, snapshots, realtime playback, etc)
Attached Thumbnails MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash-utecdemo2.jpg  
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Looks good, might want to throw in INJ duty cycle in there too! Also instead of the blue backround contrast, use black and surround the box with a white border like the window has.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Ok.. all instrumentation is done, I also added an autostart feature and it saves all configuration settings automatically.

I also wanted so show you WHY I've decided to go this route with the user interface as opposed to a "Lab type" Simulation/instrumentation setup. First is performance and low overhead, Second is size, the entire application is currently under 100k (no external library reliances if you have a current updated O/S, if you don't, the runtimes are under 2mb) The app is entirely standalone.

And third.. See photo below..

Anyway, If you can't see the picture, I built one of the smallest self-contained computers you can get currently, it has Bluetooth, 60gb hard disk, audio and video playback, the head unit contains a DVDRom Drive and touch screen, and the control unit (The ECU pictured below) can fit almost anywhere (its under 2" high, 6" wide, and under 12" long and weighs under 3 pounds), its currently mocked up, but not completely assembled yet..

More status on the application to come shortly but I wanted to show where half of my time is being spent.
Attached Thumbnails MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash-digitaldash_ecu.jpg  
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

There was a reason the backgrounds are dark blue as opposed to black (not even certain if I can put an outline on it, I'm sure it can be done) All of the gauges have a 'peak hold' function and 'alarm' functions which will change the gauge color, if you click on one of the gauges, it will display the PEAK that the gauge saw, PLUS it will display ALL the values of the other gauges when that PEAK was seen..)

There's a few bug fixes I'm also working on.. Also, the picture you see doesn't have all the gauges displayed yet.. so EVERYTHING available in that data stream will be displayed there.

the GUI is also touch screen friendly and will have buttons big enough for fat fingers to "do functions"

Quick Reply: MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash