Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rescuscitating this thread...

Hi all,

Informal poll: would anyone be willing to help either fund Jack's coding efforts via small donations to get a workable Digital Dash back up or lend coding assistance if Jack is willing to "open source" it?

I'd love a working (even part-time working!) semi-graphical dashboard for my UTEC and to my knowledge UTEC Control Center (UCC) doesn't yet do this. I am going to play with DataLogLab to check it out and the horsepower calculation could be quite useful, though I would really like a full-time "gauge screen" that is easier on the eye than the standard UTEC HyperTerminal output, and I'm betting others would too.

Thoughts / comments?

Thanks,
Adam
Old Dec 10, 2004, 09:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Funding isn't needed.. just some free time.. I got it working well enough (and reliable enough) to work on a HP Jornada PDA which is running the HPC version of PocketPC 2000.. I hadn't put any more time into it since nobody really showed much interest..

Digital Dashboard is basically a convenience tool, its a one-button data logger and in addition it parses and displays the data in an easy to view format..

I am currently not working on the PC version anymore since the TCP-IP features were cool, but nobody really was interested in them, and for me they proved to be a pain to get everything to start up in sync..

I am going to rewrite the HPC (PocketPC) code back to VB or Delphi and release it as a low-impact app (Portable executable) that doesn't require any additional resources to run (no installation required) and post a new thread about it in a week or two.

I'm pondering doing some horsepower calcs in realtime if someone wants to send me a decent formula to use that will work.. the problem is that the logs don't output both the speed sensor, and RPM output at the same time (in fact I don't think it outputs speed anywhere) which would aid in determining what gear the car is in for calculations.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I am going to rewrite the HPC (PocketPC) code back to VB or Delphi and release it as a low-impact app (Portable executable) that doesn't require any additional resources to run (no installation required) and post a new thread about it in a week or two.
Awesome...thanks Jack! I'm also fooling around with OBDii software and PC cable linkages for my laptop. I'd ideally love to replicate Smanders' CarPC, and have a UTEC dash with graphical "gauges" for normal driving conditions that I can display on an in-car monitor or my laptop (possibly hooked up on a bolted-in laptop stand).

We'll stay tuned for your update of DigitalDash regardless of where you decide to take it. :-)

Thanks,
Adam
Old Dec 23, 2004, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

MJ, my car passed emissions. Cough cough cough, what wire is cut? NO! Not me!

Anyways, this has swayed me away from the EMS as a potential, because Im concerned about the future of having to swap out the EMS for an OBD-II compliant computer. I was planning on running a MAP sensor and such..but now Im just confused again.

Give me the run down....to be running a COMPLETE UTEC package, you would need...the UTEC....now, the Tuner? AND a D-TEC? Thats just pricey, the EMS can be had for less. Im not clear on what the available options and necessities are...care to fill me in? Thanks for the help, BTW. Rough day, but its registered, insured and inspected now. :-)
Old Dec 23, 2004, 06:55 PM
EvoM Guru

This is the wrong thread for this question.. YOu only need the UTEC.. the Tuner is for tuning the car though and will be necessary if you want to tune the car yourself.. The DTEC isn't necessary at all, its a nice addon but will be alot more useful when they release all the new firmware and accessories for it.
Old Dec 24, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

malibu jack please tell me you are working on this still. it has made me really consider a utec instead of a flash
Old Dec 24, 2004, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

I haven't revised it in some time, but I was going to post a zipped up version of it for you guys to download in a new thread as a "Christmas Present" to everyone
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Just picked up a UTEC and ran across this thread...downloaded the software and just wanted to voice my appreciation for what you have done for us so far. I too would really like to see a graphical display for cruising around and keeping an eye on things. I'm not keen on installing a dozen gauges in my Evo. Bluetooth would be desirable as well, as my laptop has it built-in.

Please continue the great work Jack. (as time permits of course )
Old Aug 25, 2005, 06:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Hehe.. Yeah this is a tool I have been using for over a year to log data.. Both for the Windows CE and PC.. Haven't updated it recently, but I do intend to do a complete rewrite and integrate OBD-II diagnostics into it with an OBD-II scantool.. But you probably won't see this soon since I'm in the process of moving, buying a house, etc.. so The next chance I get to work on anything will be December (I also am writing a turbocharger comparison article which will tie me up through november)
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Hehe.. Yeah this is a tool I have been using for over a year to log data.. Both for the Windows CE and PC.. Haven't updated it recently, but I do intend to do a complete rewrite and integrate OBD-II diagnostics into it with an OBD-II scantool.. But you probably won't see this soon since I'm in the process of moving, buying a house, etc.. so The next chance I get to work on anything will be December (I also am writing a turbocharger comparison article which will tie me up through november)

Can you stay where your at until your done with this? Then I think we will all let you move. OK?

Congrars on the house though. Let me know about that turbo write up, if you are willing to travel I can have my hands on a MD dyno for this.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Man can u send me the shareware version or a link to where i could find it by the way man youre smart as hell, GOOD WORK
Old Aug 30, 2005, 07:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes.. go to www.aktivematrix.com there's a download section, the file is in there.. I thought the link to it was still in this thread.. but I guess its not.

Direct link.. http://www2.aktivematrix.com:9450/dl...file&file_id=2
Old Sep 1, 2005, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:36 PM

bump for status? I am really interested in this.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:21 PM
EvoM Guru

My site is down for awhile, been busy with my life outside of the Evo.. The current version posted is the only version available right now... I may get around to updating a bunch of stuff and do a complete rewrite if my motivation level climbs... I've been designing some new parts for motorcycles recently and haven't had time for other things besides my new baby, work, house, etc..

Quick Reply: MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash