Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash

Ok guys.. I hacked together a rudementary Digital dash (the dash itself isn't 100% working yet..)

Working features..

Selectable Comm port (I adapted a VB Term app I had laying around) and other comm port features

data logging to file

Rudimentary I/O to the serial port (basic terminal features without true VT100 emulation.. you'll see why in a moment)

simultaneously view data while dashboard displays

TCP Listener, YES you can telnet to the program and use a real VT100 emulator so you can adjust settings..

Little if any error correction..

Stuff I'm still working on..

Graphical GUI (Munging data) a true "Digital Dash"
logger playback through the same exact GUI and I/O (useful for both a playback feature and for demo of the product)
Autostart features (starting connection, enabling port, starting logging)
allow several simultaneous TCP connections for different data acquisition tools
GPS Location and delta info (this will be used for clocking ET's and calculating horsepower and acceleration data)

---------------------------------------------

At the moment, the program is very rough, the GUI basically recognizes the logging data (Shift-1) and displays it in a text field, it will eventually munge that data and seperate it into a real display and do realtime graphing.

Once I get a GUI that is readable, and fairly stable, I'll post a demo of it for you guys to try out..

And for what its worth, VB is going to run faster at displaying I/O from the serial port, than the serial port can send data, so there should be very little latency..

For the time being, the App is UGLY and crashes if you do some common things with it, such as, telnet to the listener, and disconnect while data is being transferred, it will recover automatically in the future..

Ok guys.. So, whatcha think? I'd post a few photos, but you probably would not have a clue what your looking at.. I am focusing on the functionality before the GUI..

But not too bad for 2 days of work..
Old Apr 5, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack you are such a brainiac!

Good Job!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

God ime glad i waited for the UTEC!!!! ATTA BOY JACK!!!!!
Old Apr 5, 2004, 09:14 PM
EvoM Guru

hey, can someone upload (as a csv file) a GIGANTIC "Shift-1" datalog that has AFR info in the last column? The longer the log the better? I'm developing with a nullmodem to another PC and dumping data to the program through its serial port for testing.. since Its been too crappy out to get my Tuner installed, I am making assumptions about the log format..

ALSO Upcoming toys..

Hardware dashboard appliance (in Windows PocketPC2003) that also has these features based on the same code.. Turns out the code ported over to my pocketPC in about 10 minutes..

Oh, and I fabbed up a bluetooth device to hook up to the port on the UTEC.. I hate wires.. I may make that device available as a product for anyone who needs to make a close rangewireless serial connection to an on-board serial device (OBD-II logger etc)

I also added some routines to do some obd-II logging (using the scantool.net OBD-II device) simultaneously over an alternate serial port, but that doesnt work yet.. not sure how useful that data is going to be other than getting some snapshot data.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Apr 5, 2004 at 09:21 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 09:34 PM
EvoM Guru

anyone interested in a wireless "Bluetooth" package?
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Here's a first look at the app.. as you can see, VT100 telnet (almost) works, the dashboard shows data (it will be GUI soon), logging is functional as is the serial interface.. (BTW This is communicating over bluetooth! but at the moment not to the UTEC but my other laptop)
Attached Thumbnails MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash-utecdemo.jpg  

Last edited by MalibuJack; Apr 5, 2004 at 10:30 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

*****en, i will post a log tommarrow. I erase them each day and dont currently have one. Ill check here tommarrow and see if you got one yet or not.. Ray
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:54 PM
EvoM Guru

BTW, this app should work on both the EVO UTEC and the WRX UTEC...
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Made some performance improvements to the serial I/O, began work on the playback feature (figured out how fast to read the file and send the data to the GUI), and verified that Bluetooth works from inside the car.. Wireless UTEC Tuning!!

Started working on decoding the map exports, and looking at the map upload/download feature.. Started building a Grid Control GUI for the Maps. I'm hoping to find out from TXS if there are some shortcuts for sending data, or a way to quickly send configuration info back and forth from the UTEC (Raw data or diagnostic mode)

I'd like some input from TurboXS guys if they have some time..
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Hmm this UTEC thing is kinda nice. It might sway me from dynoflash, I wonder which yields better gains hmmm....
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

utec tells you if your knocking, dynoflash doesnt. utec u can switch maps while moving, dynoflash doesnt. dynoflash is cheaper than a utec. wait but turbo trix is prob the best place to get it tuned...hmmm they have done nothing but great things for my cars, you should give them a try.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

although this is offtopic, so I can't too much of a reply for ya in this thread.. Each has its advantages. It really depends on how much interaction you want with your car. Given a good tuner, both can yield the same results. The main advantage to the utec is several different maps and its ability to be retuned when necessary. Anyway.. back to the normal thread.. PM Me if you want specific info and pros/cons.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by MalibuJack
anyone interested in a wireless "Bluetooth" package?
That's too cool! I want one.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

I'd be interested in Bluetooth as I already have a laptop with Bluetooth built in.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

I want one too... btw, Jack what's up with those knock counts man?

Jermaine~

Quick Reply: MalibuJack's UTEC DigitalDash