Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Knock counts @ 4500-5300 rpm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knock counts @ 4500-5300 rpm

I have my datalogs on my laptop which I will post up, but as for now, I am having some knock issues both @ part throttle and full throttle around 4500-5200 rpm. I richened up that area adding .2 total, but I am still getting knock counts. As a matter of fact, originally, I was getting @ most 2-4 counts, but after riching it up a bit, I saw 8 counts once.

BTW, Junior @ TurboTrix originally tuned my car, but during that day, I was having boost issues since I had the stock bypass valve. I was losing power right after the peak @ 5800rpm. Thats a different post all together though. Right now, Im making the first adjustments on my UTEC, and I noticed the knock still there.

Here is my old dyno graph:

Should I be pulling back timing as well? I will get my datalogs as soon as I pick up my laptop later on tonight.

Kenny
Old Apr 11, 2004, 04:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You should be adjusting your timing as well, HOWEVER, I don't know if that knock count is what I could consider severe, you'll have to wait until someone else who has seen this can chime in, but my car gets no knock whatsoever..

What was your starting point for the timing? You should log all of your data for the "stock Mode" if possible and gather some timing framework to start from at part and full throttle.. try to reproduce the stock timing in the UTEC first.. Then adjust accordingly.. That is what I'm doing at the moment, but my car seems to be a little different than others and has a little more aggresive timing than other cars I've seen.. (it could also explain why my car had historically been a little stronger than others)
Old Apr 11, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Funny how some cars have a peronality all their own.... I'm with Malibu, start from stock mode and take it from there.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 04:48 PM
EvoM Guru

ya know.. How are you handling the Idle (adding alittle fuel) for the Cams? Did you upgrade fuel injectors or the pump? My car WITHOUT the cams and the stock fuel injectors was hitting 99% duty at one point.. could explain why adding fuel wasn't doing any good, you may be hitting alimitation in your fuel system.. From your mod list, it looks as if your still running stock fuel injectors and pump? Try to upgrade the pump before you go crazy..
Old Apr 11, 2004, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Im gonna add the injectors and fuel pump to my sig. I have 680cc injectors and 255 warlboro. When I previously had dynoflash but not tuned for the cams, the idle wasnt that bad. Then, once I had UTEC put in, the idle got noticable worst. I remember a friend of mine(Rollaway) adding fuel @ idle with his AFC, and his idle getting alot better. So I did the same. It was previously @ around 11.2 @ idle. I kept on riching up .1 and it got better. I dont have my laptop with me right now, but I think I have it @ 10.9 right now and the idle is noticable better.

My starting point was from where Juniour @ TurboTrix had my tune @ since I dont know where my "stock" setup was @.

Ill see about pulling some timing back, and see where that takes me.

Kenny
Old Apr 11, 2004, 07:11 PM
EvoM Guru

I don't recall if you mentioned this yet, but did you flash the ECU back to stock when you got the UTEC? Or are you tuning on top of the Dynoflash? if your tuning on top of the dynoflash I can understand why your getting a bit of detonation..
Old Apr 11, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

remember, i dont think you can run map 0 with upgraded injectors either......FYI RRR
Old Apr 11, 2004, 08:19 PM
EvoM Guru

You can, but it'll run RICH and stinky.. LOL
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Im sorry to hear that your having troubles, Call up turbo trix and talk to junior