Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Coolant Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2024, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Recommendation

Hello I hope you are well. I recently purchased a 2003 evo 8 and I am going to get the fluids flushed. The previous owner used green 50/50 (distilled water) coolant however the shop I am bringing it too is recommending the MIT motors long life coolant (blue). Would changing the coolant from green 50/50 to MIT motors blue effect anything in a negative way? TIA
Old Jul 1, 2024, 01:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 412 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by sshumaker
Hello I hope you are well. I recently purchased a 2003 evo 8 and I am going to get the fluids flushed. The previous owner used green 50/50 (distilled water) coolant however the shop I am bringing it too is recommending the MIT motors long life coolant (blue). Would changing the coolant from green 50/50 to MIT motors blue effect anything in a negative way? TIA
I'd stay with the green/parts store coolants. repairs on these cars are quite frequent in my experience, so coolant is one thing I dont need to keep in stock.
one tuner here prefers the red, another prefers the green. I dont think shops keep the blue ones in stock so they will have to change it to green/red/yellow
Old Jul 1, 2024, 01:49 PM

Thank you for your insight it is much appreciated. I think the previous owner stuck with green due to having access to it when needed versus the blue you would need to order.
Old Jul 1, 2024, 02:03 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah easier to top off during long trips. I believe some parts stores carry the blue ones but I've not noticed it in stores near me
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
yeah easier to top off during long trips. I believe some parts stores carry the blue ones but I've not noticed it in stores near me
I dont know if you would have any information regarding this; When I do hard pulls sometimes the temp gauge goes a little past the safety mark I have it set to and will gradually go back to normal running temp when I let it rev down. Idling and normal driving it does not do this only when doing hard pulls. Do you have any recommendation on how to fix this? I upgraded the stock rad to a mishimoto but it still does it. I am thinking maybe the thermostat is not opening properly?
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM
EvoM Guru

I dont know if you would have any information regarding this; When I do hard pulls sometimes the temp gauge goes a little past the safety mark I have it set to and will gradually go back to normal running temp when I let it rev down. Idling and normal driving it does not do this only when doing hard pulls. Do you have any recommendation on how to fix this? I upgraded the stock rad to a mishimoto but it still does it. I am thinking maybe the thermostat is not opening properly?
I never had that issue, even on track. the cooling system is really good on these cars. your water pump might be dying, when was it changed? thermostat should also be replaced at some point. is there any sign youre loosing coolant? Mishimoto is garbage BTW.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

I never had that issue, even on track. the cooling system is really good on these cars. your water pump might be dying, when was it changed? thermostat should also be replaced at some point. is there any sign youre loosing coolant? Mishimoto is garbage BTW.
The water pump + thermostat was changed when the build was completed in 2023 by speed element in Cali. As far as loosing coolant since changing out the rad (last month) the coolant level has stayed the same even in the high heat and humidity. I am getting the thermostat changed at the end of this month I might as well have them do the pump as well. Would you recommend any specific water pump or would OEM be sufficient? What brand rad would you recommend?
Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

CSF makes good OE and racing radiators. I use their OE. If your Mishimoto is new then it should be fine (just overpaid for ebay china stuff).. My pumps get changed when I get a new engine build so they use mitsu parts. I have no experience with OE equivalents. Do both your fans work? make sure. if you have evoscan you can trigger the fans to test. I believe its common for the controller behind the fan to go bad. Do the fan(s) turn on when you turn the key to ON with a cold engine?
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM

CSF makes good OE and racing radiators. I use their OE. If your Mishimoto is new then it should be fine (just overpaid for ebay china stuff).. My pumps get changed when I get a new engine build so they use mitsu parts. I have no experience with OE equivalents. Do both your fans work? make sure. if you have evoscan you can trigger the fans to test. I believe its common for the controller behind the fan to go bad. Do the fan(s) turn on when you turn the key to ON with a cold engine?
I will just go OEM for the Therm+water pump and play it safe. For the rad fan I only have 1 (on the radiatior itself) and to my knowledge it works but I think I should test it to make sure. When engine is cold and I turn the key to on the fan does not turn on.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
EvoM Guru

I will just go OEM for the Therm+water pump and play it safe. For the rad fan I only have 1 (on the radiatior itself) and to my knowledge it works but I think I should test it to make sure. When engine is cold and I turn the key to on the fan does not turn on.
you dont have a fan on the front? when temp is reached both my fans turn on, they have 2 speeds i believe
Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

you dont have a fan on the front? when temp is reached both my fans turn on, they have 2 speeds i believe
A fan infront of the rad? I only have the one behind it at this time.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
EvoM Guru

A fan infront of the rad? I only have the one behind it at this time.
yeah there should be one at the front to cool down the right side of the condenser/radiator. the rear fan cools down the left side

like this

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

yeah there should be one at the front to cool down the right side of the condenser/radiator. the rear fan cools down the left side
Okay cool I will look into installing an additional fan and see where that leaves me. I truly appreciate your insight and knowledge you have been a big help.
Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM
EvoM Guru

i have to say, dont buy mishimoto fans get SPAL if you want aftermarket
The following users liked this post:
RallySport9 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

you might be able to find t hem on ebay or car-part.com

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30539987609...AAC4E3duv1JcfQ

Quick Reply: Coolant Recommendation