Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Lamspeed speed density conversion kit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2024, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lamspeed speed density conversion kit

Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with the lamspeed speed density conversion kit?
Lamspeed Racing Mitsubishi Evolution 7/8/9 CT9A Speed Density Kit to s

I'm pretty sure my AFM needs replacing. And in my country a new AFM ranges from $1200-$1500, but the Lamspeed kit is half the price.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts
What is the AFM you are referencing?

You can buy the parts for the speed density conversion much cheaper than this kit as well. Omni 4 bar ($100), spoolin up harness ($25), GM IAT sensor ($40) plus shipping.

You can also skip the IAT if you want and use the fuel temperature sensor on the car. It isn't ideal but it does work. I have been setup like that for years.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schuhie
What is the AFM you are referencing?

You can buy the parts for the speed density conversion much cheaper than this kit as well. Omni 4 bar ($100), spoolin up harness ($25), GM IAT sensor ($40) plus shipping.

You can also skip the IAT if you want and use the fuel temperature sensor on the car. It isn't ideal but it does work. I have been setup like that for years.
AFM is Air Flow Meter
It's just another name for the MAF. But in my country calling it AFM is more common so it's just a habit.

Thank you so much for the information about piecing the speed density kit together. I didn't realise it was that easy. I do actually have an Omni 4 bar and a GM IAT already sitting here. I didn't know about the spoolup harness, that makes things much easier for me. Appreciate the advice

I will go Haltech eventually but for now I'm just trying to keep it running as the MAF appears to be dying and I didn't want to spend $1500 on a replacement one only to go Haltech eventually anyway
The following users liked this post:
schuhie (Jul 9, 2024)
Old Jul 9, 2024, 05:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by dav7
AFM is Air Flow Meter
It's just another name for the MAF. But in my country calling it AFM is more common so it's just a habit.

Thank you so much for the information about piecing the speed density kit together. I didn't realise it was that easy. I do actually have an Omni 4 bar and a GM IAT already sitting here. I didn't know about the spoolup harness, that makes things much easier for me. Appreciate the advice

I will go Haltech eventually but for now I'm just trying to keep it running as the MAF appears to be dying and I didn't want to spend $1500 on a replacement one only to go Haltech eventually anyway
That's what I figured but wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

Yea, its super simple to piece a conversion together. Like I said too, the IAT is the right way but you can simplify even more if you just use the fuel temperature sensor. I plan to add an IAT eventually but have been waiting til I re-powdercoat the upper IC pipe so I can add the bung and switch to a tial blow off valve at the same time to clean up the bay. It has just been years bc I haven't wanted to mess with it lol.

I really want to move to a PnP Haltech setup as well. It seems like it offers a lot of great function that the stock ECU doesn't have but again, my car has been solid for like 5 years so its hard to justify the cost. One day lol.

Good luck with the setup! Should be pretty straight forward once you get the sensors in place.
Old Jul 9, 2024, 06:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 420 Likes on 358 Posts
careful with that haltech stuff. password protection is PITA