Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Tuning out knock help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2024, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tuning out knock help

Need some help, maybe i am missing something very important.
I have 2003 evo 8 GSR with following mods:
Metal pipe intake with big filter - stock maf
stock evo 10 bov
Aftermarket downpipe - blown through cat - hks cat back
Exedy "stage 1" organic clutch w/ HD pressure plate - when installed the OEM dual mass flywheel had already been machines and was machines again - Machine shop wasn't sure if it was still in spec. No issues with clutch
JDC COP Kit - fresh plugs (BPR7EIX) installed less then 1k miles ago and gapped tighter then oem, i believe .024 instead of .031.
Omni 4 bar
DW300 fuel pump
Hallman Manuel boost control - set to 20psi Stock boost control plug in but capped.
catch can (if it matters) recirc to intake after maf.

Boost gauge and AFR gauge wired in (AFR gauge hooked up secondary o2 sensor location for reference).
Using Tephra v7 9417 ROM w/ecuflash/evoscan to flash/log. Converted stock map to big map in tephra as well as ensured omni 4 bar settings.
I use my alt map as a testing map, while maintaining original high/ low octane maps as they are basically stock maps.
Car is running 91 octane (South California)

Problem:
i experience knock around 2500-4000 rpm around 80-140 load. Doesn't happen all the time but happens fairly often, no matter the gear either.
Noticed it if i going 60 mph and give 50% to speed up, i get knock as i accelerate and then goes away on its own or through letting off.
I had zero'd the EGR timing ADV table, as well made leanspool start and stop be after 7k rpm.
I began my removing timing across the whole map by -2 degrees at a time and didnt notice a difference, i got to the point that i got fed up and removed 7 degree of timing across the whole ALT map except for idle area.

i had also changed open loop throttle #1/#2 to 36% at 3k and above instead of being at like 4250 rpms. trying to get the car in open loop earlier as well richen the ALT fuel map by .5 of anything over 80 load.

Its hard to say, but i feel like i had removed some of the knock, evoscan still showed large pools of 2 knock and even 6 counts at rpm.

Something that i noticed is that the car tends to still have an addition 2 degrees of timing, regardless of the matter the ALT map was very low timing, and my butt dyno can feel it. while reviewing my logs i did notice something - sometimes my AFR even at 18-20 psi is only 12.5-13.0 even tho the map calls for 10.0 basically.

I also noticed that a few hickups like hitting 320 load at 4k rpms spike (possible due to recirculation bov causing a spike in airflow?) after a 245 load at 3750 rpm (6counts of knock- 19.8 psi and afr at 13.0)

I suspect that it can be fuel pump failure, or out of injectors, but this car is basically stock, and when doing longer pulls i have seen AFR gauge bottom out at 10.0) so i know the fuel pump can push the fuel.

I have also noticed i do not get much boost fall off, if i hit 20 psi and it stays 20 untill 7k, ( i might be bugging on this, but i havent noticed a fall off, no logs show this as i do not have the space to rev out 3rd to 7k

I am stumped, can my knock be the car being lean sometimes? (not all pulls are lean)
due to the load hiccup, can it be due to the vibrations in the hardpipe on the MAF?

I have attached a few logs (kind of lengthy)
Any experts please pitch in.
Attached Files
File Type: csv
reg map drive - knock.csv (263.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Dzmitry23; Jul 8, 2024 at 08:00 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2024, 07:10 AM

Update - Will check spark plugs (less then 1k miles) to see if they look out of ordinary.
I have injen intercooler+intake piping kit - seems like people complained about metal intake pipes with maf but not with the injen kit. Will swap out and see if there is any change
Old Jul 9, 2024, 07:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 449 Likes on 383 Posts
have you done any work that might have pulled on the knock sensor wire? mine had a serious issue after a build but my builder was too lazy to actually change the sensor
Old Jul 9, 2024, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by ViciousLSD
have you done any work that might have pulled on the knock sensor wire? mine had a serious issue after a build but my builder was too lazy to actually change the sensor
engine was removed to service new clutch and timing belt. Everything was looked over but everything is stock and not messed with under intake.

I was recommended to do a boost leak test and make sure it can hold 30 psi with little bleed over 5 second.
I found that i hacent dont blood leak test to that extent and had my "iac flapper warmup" that's only on thr 03/04 being a major leak.
got a work trip, bit going to start with getting that taken care of before going back to the issue.

Can't believe I overlooked the basic thing.
Old Jul 11, 2024, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dzmitry23
...... i got to the point that i got fed up and removed 7 degree of timing across the whole ALT map except for idle area.

..... well richen the ALT fuel map by .5 of anything over 80 load.

.....regardless of the matter the ALT map w.....
Are you changing timing or fuel on the alt map? why?

You need to be tuning the high octane and low octane maps