Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

misfire, bucking, and breakups at partial throttle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2024, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
misfire, bucking, and breakups at partial throttle

Hi everyone, im having an issue and hope you all can help. I went and filled up with E85 drove home and turned the car off, drive normal did a pull- nothing out of the norm. Next weekend rolls around and the car wont start, took for ever to get her to turn over, needed throttle input. She wouldn't stay idling and i had to keep constant throttle. Did a hard reset on the car, disconnected battery for 10 mins. She then relearned the idle but not well, ordered a replacement IACV from rock auto and shes been doing better. So once she idled well i gave throttle and she bogs and sounds like shes running on 3 cylinders. i cant give partial throttle with up this breakup misfire happening between 1 and 2k rpms. If i floor it shes breaks up a little and revs to 3 or 4 in neutral. Ive only driven around the block since this been happening and if i try to give constant partial throttle she bucks like crazy, if i floor it she boost and bov works. on this misfire, breakup, subie sound - the afr goes max lean on the gauge too.

What ive done so far now is change the spark plugs- need to check gap, checked the cop with a light on each new plug. Pulled injectors and ultrasonic cleaned them. ive found my fuel pump pos wire was melted and barely attached (i know). everything ive done has made her run better but not fix the issue.
i need to do a boost leak test or vacuum leak test- but i have a FF turbo and its blocked by the IC so im not sure what i can do there.
and maybe my tps isnt reading right anymore. can the 02 sensor be bad and throw it off this much? Bad wiring in the cop?
logs are showing it barely reading when idle reving, and injector pulse goes from 1.4 ish to 0.0 ?? im on aem infinity but i dont know how to save them for some ones viewing here, i could send screen shots...

i might be forgetting somethings but any input is appreciated!

car is 2.0 buschur fully built, gsc s2 cams, 6266 comp turbo, e85 only, id2000cc, radium 255 fuel pump, no ac half rad. just about everything but the throttle body, intake mani, and drive shaft are <20k miles

Last edited by Geforce_EvoIX; Jul 23, 2024 at 05:10 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2024, 10:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 438 Likes on 373 Posts
did you check the timing belt marks? I think if the engine stops at TDC, one cam gear has a tendency to roll right and the other roll left and could result in tooth skipping when you start it again. this issue kicked my butt over a month ago, but I do have an ER oil pump gear that made this issue happen often
Old Jul 23, 2024, 01:30 AM

hmm i have not checked on that but i will later today, im AEM i can see both cam gears giving values but nothing comes up in the error sides.
i read another post about the crankshaft bolt was loose and causing similar issues.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 06:13 AM

Here are some quick pics I took of the logs..
Old Jul 23, 2024, 06:15 AM

Here are some quick pics I took of the logs..

Old Jul 26, 2024, 01:16 AM

i found it to be the TPS. in those logs it stayed flat 99% of the time, swapped with a buddys whos was working and now no problems
The following users liked this post:
ViciousLSD (Jul 26, 2024)
Old Jul 28, 2024, 03:24 AM

my tps came in and replaced it so to givce my friend his back. care idle was between 1k and 3k after new sensor .. disconnected battery for 2 mins. started again and idled perfect. my TPS wire side connector is shot and doesnt stay on and slighly comes off it seems so i taped it on. went for a drive came back, car felt great better than before. parked and washed the car and went to move and now idle is bad and experiencing similar symptoms as before ....