Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

MalibuJack

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MalibuJack

Hey MJ, I had a few questions for you. I believe I posted these before, but I wanted to pick your brain on something.

I see you have that awesome interface that you've been workin on. Now, I like that, but I was curious if you have plans to do anything that mimics an HKS CAMP system. I am going to buy the UTEC, its the cheapest, with the tuner and a/f and the most user friendly. I figured that the Auto Tune feature of the EMS is nice, but I dont want a standalone. Now, Im going to look for a tablet pc of some sort, and I would like to have some sort of real time display, showing me all the necessary gauges and what not. The question is, it is possible (Im sure it is, after seeing what you have done).

I want to eliminate all the gauges I have in my car and just have one, small LCD. I can even go as far as mounting a micro pc and 7" screen for much cheaper than a CAMP, and have it be useable to tune with. Just wanna know if Im barking up the wrong tree and whats overkill/feasible. Thanks man, keep up the good work!
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Your actually not too far off from what I've been working on.. The software is real-time gauges (for the most part digital in look) In theory, its possible to setup gauges for everything you can use an electronic sender for, however this app will display whatever data is available in the UTEC log.. Since I have the Tuner also, I can display pretty much everything relevent to tuning, including boost (because I installed the MAP sensor)

I bought a 7" Touchscreen and a 1 Din display housing (SMANDERS has one also on his website except mine was a kit) and I used a Mini-ITX motherboard made by VIA with a 600mhz processor, it has the software I wrote, plus an MP3 player, DVD player, and Navigation system.. and your right, my total investment in it is about $700 which is around what the full CAMP system is. Check out my thread, there are a few photos with some of the screens, some hardware pics, etc. (I also added wireless bluetooth connections to the TXS Tuner so I can use my laptop and not connect a cable to it for the time being)

I found a handfull of new bugs in my dashboard app, but I will start distributing copies of it shortly to some beta testers.
Old May 1, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, you rock! I dont know if I'd go the touch screen route, but you're definitely onto what I want. I could, actually, wind up using a Palm PC, no, or something similar. Or I could just build the Micro PC without the touch screen....the fact that its available and someone else is realizing my dream!(Im not educated nor experienced enough to do this stuff) Let me know how this works out.
Old May 1, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Jack, just to clarify...you said digital in look. Thats wild, just the same. Im curious, what would it take to simulate dial gauges on the screen? Any plans there? I know its awfully "Fast and Furious", but quite functional and stealth when pulled off correctly.
Old May 1, 2004, 09:34 PM
EvoM Guru

I found for my needs that the digital gauges was a better choice.. There are a few addon libraries out there that allow you to use gauges, but Analog gauges on a digital screen just seems kinda cheesy. What I do with my digital gauges is (for instance the AFR setting) hits certain ranges, and the text and its background changes color when its within a range that I set..

The touch screen is actually a bit of a convenience factor.. if you ever work with a Laptop in a car for any period of time, a mouse (Trackpoint) and keyboard aren't necessarily the easiest way to get data into the computer. Instead I put hostspots (hidden buttons) on my app and let it trigger other events.
Old May 1, 2004, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Excellent points man! Im really curious, Im a geek when it comes to having gadgets and unique stuff, but Im really trying to figure out what Im going to need...do I even need the tuner? Ya know, its a tough decision...I would like the tuner, the utec and an onboard laptop to datalog, and thats it...but a small laptop of pocket PC with hyperterms. Without being able to see a set up, I dont know what to do, honestly.

I figure the small pocket pc, with the touch screen would help, but again, I have never used or seen a UTEC with the software in action, so its hard to see where Im gonna go with it.
Old May 2, 2004, 08:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Well, from a software standpoint, at the minimum you will need a terminal program and a serial adapter that works with your pocket PC. at this moment, I only have one working build that is feature limited that works with PocketPC 2000+ .

You do not need the TurboXS Tuner to log data with your PC, its not required for anything except the ability to tune your car. My software takes advantage of it being there and displays the data is it exists, otherwise it just shows an AFR of --.-- in its place, eventually it will not show anything if it doesnt detect the tuner.

I've been beta testing another amazing product (http://www.dataloglab.com) that will work along side my dashboard app, its pretty accurate, and is currently my preferred method of analysing the log files I've captured using my application. (it has no realtime datalogging functions, so our two products are the perfect match) Look at the Data Log Labs thread, and their website.

From an in-car computer standpoint.. This is what I have (that is functional at the moment, I have a new machine that is similar, but intended to be perminently mounted when my testing is done)

1) Via Mini-ITX 600mhz motherboard, w/ 256mb (my standin machine has 1GB)
- Custom "CD Case" System enclosure, fits in my glovebox, or under my seat
- Running Windows XP (media center version) so it has all the "TV oriented" Explorer
interface features, you can run any other HTPC/ICPC software or DesktopX
- I have a USB 2.0 DVD+RW drive, since the machine is capable of booting off USB
I chose to not place a drive internal to the machine, but use it only when needed.
- www.digitalww.com 7" VGA Touchscreen Kit, with their "1 Din project housing", it can
purchased complete as a display also. see www.smanders.com for his installation

2) To connect to your TurboXS UTEC or Tuner, you need an available Serial port. My system board has the port, however any USB-Serial adapter DOES work. If your feeling adventurous, I sourced a Bluetooth "Virtual Serial Cable" device that plugs into my tuner (or UTEC) and is powered with a 12v to 5v 1-chip power regulator that I created from parts I got from radio shack (it was basically 1 device that I wired up) and I have a bluetooth adapter that I currently use with my laptop, but will reconfigure it with the in-car PC should I decide to continue using it.

Now for the really geeky stuff.. I'm working on getting a Cellular "modem" device, with this device I can go onto the internet, and allow the "my tuner of choice" to assist me in monitoring my car's performance, during STREET pulls in 3rd gear, he can then analyse the data and help me adjust my maps. ADDITIONALLY, using the Data Log Labs software, I enter the same type of data into it, as you would at the dyno. Since I know the UTEC's sample rate, and the car's RPM, wheel diameter, and "Drivetrain loss", Cf (Coefficient of friction, ie, the HP to maintain a particular speed) The software is able to calculate within the same level of accuracy as a true rolling road dyno. For instance, once I got all the data correctly entered for gearing, wind resistance, weight, etc. the data I collected calculated to about 317hp (350lbft of torque) with my level of modifications, and the known times I've made in the 1/4 mile, I'd have to say its fairly accurate. But the real advantage is the Deltas between runs since the calculations are consistant, gains will still be something I can calculate. In other words.. Road tuning is now a viable option for seeing real results, PLUS there are tangeble gains that can be shown with a fair degree of accuracy.

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 2, 2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old May 2, 2004, 09:20 AM
EvoM Guru

The advantage I have now Is I can tune any UTEC, and with a wideband O2 sensor, do a road tune that rivals a dyno tune, plus tune for better drivability and work with real world situations such as part throttle adjustments, the airflow under the hood (into the intake and through the intercooler, plus intercooler efficiency) can really be tested. Things such as Instant center and unsprung mass will have a real effect on HP readings and horsepower gains and losses due to rim/tire packages can realistically be calculated. (those 18" wheels and Toyo Proxes tires really do suck about 20hp over the stock 17" wheels because more weight is concentrated towards the outer diameter of the rim/tire combo)

These are all things one never takes into account when making power. The only thing that is missing at this point is the ability to do SAE corrections for temp and altitude in the DLL software doing it by hand is kinda SUCKY, with a simple racers electronic barometer/thermometer kit from Summit you can get that info and get fairly consistent numbers regardless of the days your testing.

And you guys thought I was just a numbers geek..
Old May 2, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Jack, your a genius/crazy. See the fine line between the two? I figure the first order of business is to get the utec, then buy the tuner and Palm PC after that.

What Im aiming to do is just have the data logging capability, the tuner and the UTEC. To have the F&F style gauges is useless, and I agree, digi gauges are more suited to what I want to do. I'd like to stick with the Palm style, but if I have to go with the 7" touch screen and build a small trunk mounted PC, I can always use it for my MP3 collection and bluetooth the whole damn thing. Power wires and a wire to the screen, and thats it, the car is fully tuneable from the drivers seat.
Old May 2, 2004, 06:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Very cool.. Yeah, I've been told there's a fine line between genius and insanity, but most will say I've completely skipped the genius part... LOL

Anyway, I wish I could describe how simple the install of both the tuner and utec were.. the tuner took time and a trip to the muffler shop.. the UTEC took me about an hour originally so I can do it neatly, and run nice clean wiring to the sensors and map selector switch. I can take my UTEC out in under 15 minutes at this point.

and my in-car PC was intended to do GPS, MP3 player, DVD's (only for show), and my Digital Dash.. so you will have no trouble doing what you want. Just takes a little time and patience.
Old May 2, 2004, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Jack, I was looking at the AEM EMS, with the digital dash. I almost dropped dead at the sight of it. Heres the link :

http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=7510

As you see, they guy has the AEM with UEGO controller, laptop under the seat and the 7" lcd hooked to the laptop and used as his dash. Wild, wild.
Old May 3, 2004, 12:13 AM
EvoM Guru

From what I was able to see, the only thing that the UTEC doesn't show is speed.. but my software uses GPS delta info to get heading, altitude, and speed (you have to move several meters before it registers though) Those types of gauges to me are more useful than Sweep gauges since its a quick visual indicator, again, I don't see it very useful overall simply because indicators (lights) are all thats necessary for critical information. (RPM, AFR too lean, Boost limit, injector duty cycle, etc..) Those are the things I'd like to be reminded of if they go out of their range of norm (or at a level that can do damage)

Its still nice, and the AEM certainly is the tool to have for hardcore tuning, but the big disadvantage of using any standalone is losing OBD-II, on a street car, that can be a huge hassle when its time to get the car inspected.