Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

BR580 problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Wow, that is dissapointing. That is the biggest input I have.

I guess looking at the list of parts that you have and then the title of your post I am even more dissapointed. I know Tym took quite a bit of time on the phone with you to try and help. The "BR 580 turbo problems" is what is disturbing.

I think (NO INSULT INTENDED) that you definetely win the award for the most mixed part combination on an EVO. WOW is that a list of parts from everywhere!

Getting it to all work correctly together is going to be a chore and a half. I have seen very few cars work well with so many different parts on them.

I don't know that the problem is with the BR580. I am in the process of getting some AWD Dynojet dyno sheets from one of our customers, Mike. He has our Stage 4 kit plus the turbo kit and the EMS. Another shop did a race gas tune and a pump gas tune on the car for him. You will be able to see once I get these posted what it should look/work like. His car, our car and Matt's car were all done here Stages 1-4 with the EMS and with a 580 kit on them. All three of these cars can make 20 psi of boost from a roll on the road by 3800 rpm.

I am seeing more and more kits going out of here with mixed up combinations or incomplete modification lists and the results just flat out suck. I can't put the blame on the turbos as getting something to work is all about combination.

Take a look at how well the stock turbo works on these cars. We ran 11.65 @117.88 mph with the stock turbo and Stages 1-4 with the EMS. That is just a combination that is hard to beat. We did the entire upgrade path on the EVO's like we have done all the rest of our cars, in a certain order for a reason. You build on each thing and make it better.

The BR580 turbo will hold 30 psi of steady boost to 8500 rpm, that is what we are doing in our car. The 4 psi drop it sounds like you found the cause of it. I am unfamilar with that boost control, ours is very simple and only has one adjustment on it. Has worked well enough for us to run 7.81 at 175 mph on. I see the car is tuned on pump gas with no knock count. The boost I am assuming must be in the under 20 psi range. That would mean 16 psi or so when it dropped off. Dyno Dynamics reads low compared to Dynojet right? Just asking questions.

I am really sorry to hear what the car is doing, I just don't think the turbo kit is the culprit.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Hey David. Like I said above, Tym gave me some good ideas of what to check. It's not a bash on your kit. Not at all. When this thing hits, it's just crazy fast. It's just getting there that's the problem. I'll be working on it all week to resolve it. Again, the turbo is great, I'm just trying to get my parts to work together.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Nah, I definitely don't think your turbo kit is the culprit.. I suspect there's some issue with the boost controller or even the intercooler.. I always tell people that you need to address the restrictions in the system, and your parts do that very well therefore when you use all of your staged parts, they work as expected. Heck, I can run 23psi of boost tapering to 21 on your parts on a stock turbo and have produced nearly 320 whp on a stock MAF without cams, pump or injectors at the moment..

Dave is right though, mixing parts from different vendors means you need to REALLY understand the capabilities and limits of each of these parts, otherwise its hard to know where your problems will turn up. His approach to tuning is nearly identical to mine, its the KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) Method, in fact, I think the only difference of opinion we have on it is that I prefer to retain the OE computer (Us NY stage guys get shafted on inspections)

Now, with all of that said, you CAN put together a good combination of differing parts, but unfortunately you end up being the guinea pig..

SO, with all of this said, you need to find what is causing your restriction and unfortunately it may require going through the entire intake and exhaust tract, part by part and find whats not a happy camper. Of course because there are so many different parts, there could be several optimizations.

BTW, what are you using for an upper intercooler pipe? It should be at least 2.5" diameter tubing and as straight a shot as possible..
Thanks Jack. the pipe is a custom 2.5 straight pipe w/ the tial bov mounted on it.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ez76
jerastan I noticed you have high duration high lift JUN cams. Let's start with the cam gears - what settings are they at?
cams are set to 0/2
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
0 and +2? Was that done to improve Idle?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

0 and +2? Was that done to improve Idle?
you got it.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Hmm.. I wonder if that could be contributing to the late spool.. can you easily set it to 0/0? it would effect idle, but should lower the RPM range where you begin to build power (and exhaust pressure to build boost) I might have tried -1/+1 or -2/0 assuming you have the valve/head clearance.. Unless that is what JUN recommended.. as soon as you deal with high lift cams playing with gear timing gets risky..
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm.. I wonder if that could be contributing to the late spool.. can you easily set it to 0/0? it would effect idle, but should lower the RPM range where you begin to build power (and exhaust pressure to build boost) I might have tried -1/+1 or -2/0 assuming you have the valve/head clearance.. Unless that is what JUN recommended.. as soon as you deal with high lift cams playing with gear timing gets risky..
we'll be trying different cam settings for sure. i just took the car out for a spin at lunch to see if i could pin anything down. after the tial bov releases, it sounds like something else is releasing air as well. it happens every time i boost enough for the tial to release. WTF is that? It sounds like it's coming from the other side of the damn engine bay.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Did you remove the EGR system? did you use a blockoff plate on it?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Did you remove the EGR system? did you use a blockoff plate on it?
yep, and yep.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Hmm.. is it a whooshing sound, or an obnoxious hissing sound? If its a loud hissing I would check the lower intercooler piping, and the intercooler.. Like I said earlier, its possible the intercooler isn't designed to move the volume of air that this compressor is capable of.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Another really dumb thought.. are all the bungs on the intake manifold plugged, is it seating properly? If your using the stock throttle body, is the adapter and everything on it sealing good? Is the IAC motor on tight, and not leaking? Just some more things to check out.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm.. is it a whooshing sound, or an obnoxious hissing sound? If its a loud hissing I would check the lower intercooler piping, and the intercooler.. Like I said earlier, its possible the intercooler isn't designed to move the volume of air that this compressor is capable of.
it's def. a loud whooshing sound. sounds like a different type of bov. as far as the perrin fmic goes, i would hope that it can handle the air flow? i'll be checking the piping tonight.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Hopefully its something simple, or just one difficult component.. Intercooler design is complex, and most are purpose built.. They are designed to flow with the least restriction, but offer the best cooling of the air.. which means its a compromise of airflow to increase surface area to increase cooling, but when you do that, it introduces a pressure drop (restriction) you should contact Perrin to find out the specific specs of your core.. before anyone gets confused, you can cool the air by offering alot of surface area, but since you only have so much space to work within, you have to compromise that to offer the least restriction, but the air needs to stay within the intercooler long enough for the heat to be absorbed by the intercooler.. IF its too big, the air won't stay in it long enough to be cooled effectively or it will introduce too much of a pressure drop, if its too small, it becomes a restriction.. so its sizing needs to work with the capabilities of your turbo.. The buschur intercooler already takes that into account, and works well with the stock turbo too.. (only a 1psi drop on a stock turbo after I installed it, which I had to adjust for)

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jul 13, 2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Another really dumb thought.. are all the bungs on the intake manifold plugged, is it seating properly? If your using the stock throttle body, is the adapter and everything on it sealing good? Is the IAC motor on tight, and not leaking? Just some more things to check out.
everything was up to snuff after the install. i'll check it out again tonight though.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Man I hope you get your issues figured out soon. Still to see that graph on that dyno (heartbreaker from H@ll) makes me smile. It will be nice to see it once you have everything worked out.

Quick Reply: BR580 problems