Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

want a utec?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
want a utec?

i'm so tired of waiting for this myth of an update to be released. anyone want a slightly used utec?
jeremy
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So when you getting the AEM EMS
You'd have to sell it to me for the price of a SAFC2 and it's Wiring Harness

4-BNGR
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
So when you getting the AEM EMS
You'd have to sell it to me for the price of a SAFC2 and it's Wiring Harness

4-BNGR
dude, i think that's what i'm going to have to do! i can't just keep waiting and waiting. this race season's going to be gone by the time they release this update. the car is ready for some huge power and the utec is my only real stumbling block at this point. the ams gt35rl wants to spool through the roof at 7400rpms, and just cant. it's rather upsetting, because i love the turbo xs guys to death. i don't even want to think about trying to get an aem rep on the phone for support .
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:53 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Maybe you should consider becoming a beta tester ?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

i'd do it in a minute. no doubt about it.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That sucks, I haven't heard anything about it recently either and I AM a beta tester. Trust me when I tell you that their spending alot of time refining things and adding things that have been suggested.

It would suck for them to lose a customer to an AEM just because of the delay.. you should at least contact them and ask them if you can beta test. Your car would likely be the most modified car running a UTEC, it should be a good test of the open loop fuel control, scaling, adjustable rev limits, and bypassed fuel cut..
Old Aug 18, 2004, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

stand alone > piggy back
Old Aug 18, 2004, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
That sucks, I haven't heard anything about it recently either and I AM a beta tester. Trust me when I tell you that their spending alot of time refining things and adding things that have been suggested.

It would suck for them to lose a customer to an AEM just because of the delay.. you should at least contact them and ask them if you can beta test. Your car would likely be the most modified car running a UTEC, it should be a good test of the open loop fuel control, scaling, adjustable rev limits, and bypassed fuel cut..
That's what I'm saying dude!!! I'll give them a call.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Unhappy

Geez, I am still trying to learn this thing, There are AEM tuners here which was suggested to me in the beginning but was sold on the UTEC for the ease of installation etc etc.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 08:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 4-BNGR
stand alone > piggy back
the UTEC is more of a standalone than a piggyback..

I can tell you from experience that I'll take the UTEC over trying to configure a standalone to run well for daily driving..

Getting big numbers out of the dyno or the drag strip is only part of the work when setting up a full standalone.

I won't go through the configuration and feature programming on a standalone just to get the car running for the first time..

we're lucky that the AEM, Autronic, and other standalones come with a base setup to get the car running, but unless your really familiar with the units, and have the time to spend tweaking things like A/C Compressor cycling, engine fans, Cold start enrichment, part throttle cruising, knock thresholds, injector types, just to get the car to "drive like stock" in daily driving.. Tuning is more than WOT performance, its about fuel economy, smooth cruising, safety, comfort, durability.. Something that the stock ECU does well..

But I get the best of both worlds, I can optimize the performance aspect of the tuning, with absolute control of the important features, without having to start over by creating a drivable car, and let the ECU perform the mundane day to day stuff that mitsubishi has spent years developing...

Ya know, its a pointless debate because everyone is going to believe what they want about which is better.. Truth is NEITHER is better, their just different.. But a one line comment like that is just unecessary and pointless.. Might as well try to convince a MAC user that he can be just as productive on a PC..
Old Aug 19, 2004, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

easy on the mac jack.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
the UTEC is more of a standalone than a piggyback..

I can tell you from experience that I'll take the UTEC over trying to configure a standalone to run well for daily driving..

Getting big numbers out of the dyno or the drag strip is only part of the work when setting up a full standalone.

I won't go through the configuration and feature programming on a standalone just to get the car running for the first time..

we're lucky that the AEM, Autronic, and other standalones come with a base setup to get the car running, but unless your really familiar with the units, and have the time to spend tweaking things like A/C Compressor cycling, engine fans, Cold start enrichment, part throttle cruising, knock thresholds, injector types, just to get the car to "drive like stock" in daily driving.. Tuning is more than WOT performance, its about fuel economy, smooth cruising, safety, comfort, durability.. Something that the stock ECU does well..

But I get the best of both worlds, I can optimize the performance aspect of the tuning, with absolute control of the important features, without having to start over by creating a drivable car, and let the ECU perform the mundane day to day stuff that mitsubishi has spent years developing...

Ya know, its a pointless debate because everyone is going to believe what they want about which is better.. Truth is NEITHER is better, their just different.. But a one line comment like that is just unecessary and pointless.. Might as well try to convince a MAC user that he can be just as productive on a PC..
Well put. A tuner at XS Engineering in Socal told everyone at an evo meet that piggybacks systems were good options, but only for "moderate" level of tune and modifications. That day, the highest horsepower evo put down 450whp. Four days later, a car with an Xede piggyback laid down 563whp on that dyno, which was 110whp higher than any evo tested on that dyno. It also had stock airbox and stock MAF. The best part however, is how it runs just like a stock evo in terms of cold startups etc, because the stock ecu still takes care of such details. Oh yeah, it is half the price. I'm not pimping the Xede, I'm just saying good piggybacks are awesome.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Yep, exactly.. Truth is, the XEDE and the UTEC are fundamentally very similar, so what applies to one, would apply to the other. .and as both evolve, they will both have more features out of necessity, and ultimately end up being even more similar.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry for the delay. With all the projects we have going on it's hard for me on the Sales and Tech side to influence the Engineers and Owner's on what they should prioritize. We basically have a lot of projects going on.

Honestly, would you rather a rushed half assed update or a complete and functioning update.

If the same features that made you purchase the UTEC do not fit your mod path any longer, by all means go the direction that will make you happy. In the end each engine management has a place for certain people. I know dearly that the new software makes tuning the EVO cake walk.

Jermaine@turboxs.com
www.turboxs.com

P.S. - The UTEC drives the ignition coils and the injectors. Piggy backs don't do that.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

by al means, the utec is my choice hands down....... w/ injector scaling and rev limit control. i sure don't wish to spend another 2K when i know i have a capable tool already. it's just that this season will be gone very soon. i, along w/ everyone else, know that you guys are very busy and none of us want a "half assed upgrage." maybe a taste of what's to come. just the scaling, or rev limit control? anything would be a godsend at this point. i am very genuine when i say that i appreciate all that you guys do for enthusiasts and am not bad mouthing you at all, i'm just getting a bit anxious to see what my car can actually produce.
thanks,
jeremy

Quick Reply: want a utec?