Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

UTEC and Boost Controller??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTEC and Boost Controller??

Hi,
I just want to know.. If I get UTEC and do I need boost controller??
I heard ECU can set boost.
I am newbie so please let me know.
Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

The Utec can control boost, no separate controller needed.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Actually, the UTEC comes with a auxilary boost controller. It looks like a MBC, but uses a constant bleed to help set boost.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:58 PM

i already have ebc...so if i set up a utec would i leave the ebc or remove it?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wanna know too...biggity bump...
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The UTEC uses the stock boost control solenoid, the ABC (Bleed valve) allows you to tune the range of boost the stock boost solenoid can control.

if you have an EBC/MBC, you can continue to use the EBC/MBC and let that device control the boost, or you can reconnect the stock boost solenoid and let the UTEC do it. Simple enough eh?

The big question I get asked is can the UTEC control an aftermarket solenoid from an EBC, the simple answer is "No".. The more complex answer is it depends on the effort you want to make, and the solenoid you want to use.

The short and easy answer is to leave what you have if you Like how your current boost controller works.. Or you can hook the stock solenoid and lines back up, make sure it works, then add the ABC and control the boost from the UTEC.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Short answer is, if you want the UTEC to control boost, hook the stock parts back up. So you would remove the EBC..
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I'm setting up my car to autocross in an SCCA class that doesn't permit boost control, but I'd like to be able to quickly enable boost control for the street. Would it be possible to physically disconnect the boost control of the UTEC on race days by unplugging a wire connection to the ECU harness and then re-enable it by just plugging in a wire on non-race days?
Old Aug 21, 2004, 11:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Not really, the Boost control itself doesnt have any appearance of being anything but stock.. You would have to set one of your maps to be ECU for the boost control settings and it will allow the factory ECU to control boost.

You don't have to install the ABC at all... Especially if your not interested in getting boost levels much higher than stock. With a Downpipe and full exhaust, I found I was getting more boost ANYWAY without adding the ABC and I didn't install it for quite awhile.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

So, if I understand you correctly, you can set up a map on the UTEC to leave the boost control system completely stock (stock taper and all) so that the boost levels would be identical to what they would be without the UTEC.

I actually want the street boost control to lower boost as you said as I'm concerned about having too much for pump gas with a turboback, MAF pipe and I/C piping -- especially in the wintertime.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:42 PM
EvoM Guru

One other SCCA legality issue is that you can't modify the stock fuel cut. Is that a user-definable feature on the UTEC (sorry that this is a little off the topic of this thread)?
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:58 PM
EvoM Guru

You can leave the fueling options alone, which at this time offsets the MAF reading, so it will not alter fuel cut or factory rev limits.. If you run open loop fueling, (in the upcoming firmware) you can set the rev limit, fuel cut is no longer utilized.

With the current firmware, it won't touch the stock fuel cut or rev limits.. In the new firmware, you would have to specifically enable open loop fueling.

FWIW altering the MAF signal will alter the fuel cut level slightly since it appears to cut based on MAF reading.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
So, if I understand you correctly, you can set up a map on the UTEC to leave the boost control system completely stock (stock taper and all) so that the boost levels would be identical to what they would be without the UTEC.

I actually want the street boost control to lower boost as you said as I'm concerned about having too much for pump gas with a turboback, MAF pipe and I/C piping -- especially in the wintertime.
I actually have/had the same concerns.. I have another map that I use frequently that has the boost control set to the lowest it will go.. You can utilize closed loop boost control on the street and always target a particular boost without fear of having trouble.

But yes, you can basically passthrough anything you want to the factory ECU if you need to.. If you don't want to alter boost, leave the boost settings at ECU in the areas you want to leave stock (or in your case, the entire map) Same for fuel and timing.

In fact, I have a map that passes the stock timing through that I use for most of my daily driving since thats how I log a majority of my data.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 02:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Hey, thanks a bunch, MalibuJack.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 09:48 AM

Thank You very much