Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Questions on datalog #2

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions on datalog #2

Well, after several runs of datalogging, I decided to zero out all of my fuel table on the stage 1 (2?) map provided by TXS. I did this due to dangerously high afrs. I also changed my max maf value to 15 (1500hz), as my car seems to never go above 1525 or so. After zeroing out the fuel map, I made some 3rd gear only pulls. I managed to only get one of them to save to .txt (damn newbie!)

I have attached the datalog for anyone's feedback. I put the data in EXCEL and ran a graph of RPM vs AFR. The x axis was rpm to keep things linear. The graph shows some signs of "incosistancy" within the afr trend. I am going to subtract fuel on the yellow highlighted lines, and add fuel to the blue lines. My ultimate goal is to be at 13.5 by 4k tapering down to 11.5 by 5900 or 6K up to redline.

The "log 2.txt" is the text file on the datalog, and the "log 2 chart.txt" is an excel file. You will need to d/l it and change the extension to .xls

Right now I am looking at the following corrections to my zero'd fuel map

3000 rpm 10% (-1)
3250 rpm 10% (-1)
4500 rpm 40% (-1)
4750 rpm 40% (-1)
4750 rpm 50% (-1)
5000 rpm 60% (-1)
5250 rpm 70% (-1)
5500 rpm 70% (-1)
5500 rpm 80% (-1)
5750 rpm 80% (-1)
6000 rpm 80% (-1)
6250 rpm 80% (.5)
6500 rpm 80% (.5)
6750 rpm 90% (.5)
7000 rpm 90% (.5)
7250 rpm 90% (1)
7500 rpm 90% (1)

A couple of other issues:
1. Any ideas as to why the tps dropped down from 4700 up to 7200?
2. The car seems to run great on map 0 which is a damn problem. I know the UTEC will be helpfull when I do cams, bigger turbo, etc... But it seems useless for someone with the basic bolt ons. Maybe someone can explain this one.

Any feedback or comments are greatly appreciated!!
Attached Files
File Type: txt
log 2.txt (15.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: txt
Log 2 chart.txt (28.0 KB, 46 views)
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:24 AM
e8
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgplancer

A couple of other issues:
1. Any ideas as to why the tps dropped down from 4700 up to 7200?
2. The car seems to run great on map 0 which is a damn problem. I know the UTEC will be helpfull when I do cams, bigger turbo, etc... But it seems useless for someone with the basic bolt ons. Maybe someone can explain this one.

Any feedback or comments are greatly appreciated!!
just a comment.

your car runs great on map 0 because that's the stock setting. as in, the UTEC is just observing and your stock ECU is doing everything.

you might want to recalibrate your TPS to get rid of the first problem. but, that is weird. maybe you were lifting slightly and you didn't know it?
Old Sep 3, 2004, 11:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I haven't seen the TPS value drop if your wide open.. However poor signal can cause that (noise on the lines??) Anyway, that looks like a run done in 4th or 5th gear.. you should try to do them in third gear to keep the RPM's and airflow up..

The stage1 map included with the UTEC is actually pretty conservative compared to the factory ECU's timing and the boost map isn't "quite right"
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by e8
just a comment.

your car runs great on map 0 because that's the stock setting. as in, the UTEC is just observing and your stock ECU is doing everything.

you might want to recalibrate your TPS to get rid of the first problem. but, that is weird. maybe you were lifting slightly and you didn't know it?

I understand that when in map 0 you are running pass through on the utec, but the car should run somewhat rich in ECU mode. The problem is that my evo seems to run just fine in pass through making the utec an accessory I don't seem to need at this time. I was just commenting on this.

As far as your comment on the TPS, I'll check into your suggestion of having it recalibrated, or do subsequent runs to see if it happens again. Who knows, maybe I did lift a little due to the "tremendous" power band.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I haven't seen the TPS value drop if your wide open.. However poor signal can cause that (noise on the lines??) Anyway, that looks like a run done in 4th or 5th gear.. you should try to do them in third gear to keep the RPM's and airflow up..

The stage1 map included with the UTEC is actually pretty conservative compared to the factory ECU's timing and the boost map isn't "quite right"
The TPS signal could need to be recalibrated or maybe I did lift off of the throttle a little.

The run was actually in 3rd gear. I made some third gear only logs on the way home from work yesterday. It was a total of 5, but I had some issues on pausing the log after the first one, and seemed to stop the log all together instead of pausing it.

As for the stage 1 map, I didn't know that the timing was conservative. I will probably just end up running pass through (map 0) until I install more upgrades. The problem I am having is that the car seems to be one of the odd ***** out there that just runs good from the factory. Granted this could be wrong, as I only have an exhaust, intake, and intercooler setup. For now I see no point in running the UTEC, as the afrs are relativley lean and not rich like everyone else that I have talked to.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in my case the UTEC is useless right now, except for logging.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:16 PM
EvoM Guru

If you look at the map I posted for open loop fueling, that timing map I aquired is directly from my factory ECU's desired timing.. its way more aggressive than the base Stage1 map.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

I ran for some time on Map0 just to gather enough data to make a preliminary map.. then I did all my fuel and timing maps on my own..
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

If you look at the map I posted for open loop fueling, that timing map I aquired is directly from my factory ECU's desired timing.. its way more aggressive than the base Stage1 map.
I will look into that. I will see how my car reacts to the timing map to see if fuel needs to be added or subtracted.

I ran for some time on Map0 just to gather enough data to make a preliminary map.. then I did all my fuel and timing maps on my own.
Well I have been doing the same thing for the last 2 weeks, probably not as long as you did, but I am not seeing any definative changes in the fuel map. It seems that it runs strong with a zero'd fuel map. This is why I am puzzled.

I think that I am just going to break down and go to a dyno to do some pulls in map 0 "stock", and then do some with a concrete timing map and zero'd fuel map. Maybe I just don't need to make changes right now. What is even more puzzling is that after I installed the ABC, the boost got a lot more stable in any custom map, or stock mode. I understand the theory behind the ABC, as it "helps" even without running a custom map.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 05:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Well, its possible that the issue is your combination of fuel map, timing map, and boost map.. I found that if the boost came on too late, the car felt weak.. You can use that boost map as a reference also, it should help.

Also, its important that you check this one thing, because there have been a few users who got bitten.. If you make changes to your fuel/timing map, and you find it doesn't do anything.. Doublecheck the switch on the back of the UTEC, it may be in program mode...