Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

AVC-R Install and settings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AVC-R Install and settings

Hey guys. I am thinking about trying to install this bc soon, and read over the guide that an EvoM member posted here some time back. Pretty good start, and I think physically I will not have a problem, but I was wondering if anyone had an advice on settings for the AVC-R and the Evo.

Stock Turbo, Stock internals, step 7 Denso plugs

Also have HKS DP, Espelir Catback, Apexi Intake, and Apexi Power FC (MAF).

So what settings should I start with and work on?

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:16 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Ill help you out. Set your boost between 19 and 20 psi on 91 octane. I wouldnt suggest more than like 21 psi on 93 and 20 on 91. Race fuel you can run 24 psi. Of course you have to adjust your fuel accordingly. The more boost you run the more fuel you might have to add to keep your af safe.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the AVCR effective to use on the EVO?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:29 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
Is the AVCR effective to use on the EVO?

It's very effective for me. Feels exactly like stock boost onset, but holds whatever you want all the way to redline. It has a lot of setting that seem like it's too complex, but you dont use most of it anyway. The main things are how you set the boost and your gear specific %s. It's a boost gauge too. It's all digital display and it can display like a round gauge. It can show solenoid duty cycles, revs, speed, boost of course. I would say the main advantage over a manual is that it doesn't spike. The boost onset is very smooth and prevents spikes. It also compensates for cold weather so you dont overboost.

Last edited by fre; Oct 15, 2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

how long did it take to install if I can ask?
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:34 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BADEVO
how long did it take to install if I can ask?
I made some additions to my previous post and I didn't install it. I had somebody else install my safcII and AVC-R. It seemed to take him longer on the safcII though. I know there is a unit that attaches to the intake. I would say it took him an hour to two hours because he soldered all my connections
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

I'm looking at one now thats why Im curious
Old Oct 15, 2004, 09:45 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Well it's up to you. They aren't cheap. They hold two different settings at once and you can run gimp mode which is just 7psi (wastegate). Again the main advantages are no spikes and weather adaptability. It will do what it has to to maintain the boost you tell it to. On the other hand manual boost controllers are cheap. It's up to you. The one thing a manual boost controller is better at is building boost faster, but you also get spikes because of it.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fre
It's very effective for me. Feels exactly like stock boost onset, but holds whatever you want all the way to redline. It has a lot of setting that seem like it's too complex, but you dont use most of it anyway. The main things are how you set the boost and your gear specific %s. It's a boost gauge too. It's all digital display and it can display like a round gauge. It can show solenoid duty cycles, revs, speed, boost of course. I would say the main advantage over a manual is that it doesn't spike. The boost onset is very smooth and prevents spikes. It also compensates for cold weather so you dont overboost.
what is your settings because I only messed with the duty cycle and boost and I can't get it to hold 20 psi. Any tips would help
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:21 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BushBurninEvo
what is your settings because I only messed with the duty cycle and boost and I can't get it to hold 20 psi. Any tips would help

Hrmmm I have an aps bov so your stocker might be leaking? I just set it and it runs. The only settings I saw changed were on that gear setting with % it was
1 - 10%
2 - 5%
3 - 0%
4 - -4%
5 - -8%
or someting like that. Other than that just set your boost to the level you want and load the file. I can hold 24 psi if I want
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

I installed mine but havent done any major tweaking yet. Set the duty and level of boost and it gets where I want it to go. However I do have a few problems. One is that the display shows a higher boost than my Defi BF gauge. They are tapped on the same line (I can post pics this weekend). Also I am having a problem with taper, so I am guessing my BOV is leaking
Old Oct 20, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

has anybody used the gear spacific boost settings?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 07:55 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Karash
I installed mine but havent done any major tweaking yet. Set the duty and level of boost and it gets where I want it to go. However I do have a few problems. One is that the display shows a higher boost than my Defi BF gauge. They are tapped on the same line (I can post pics this weekend). Also I am having a problem with taper, so I am guessing my BOV is leaking
Yea I would replace the bov. If it tapers towards redline then it is definitely leaking. Just installed my fuel pump, now for the injectors
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Finally got it dialed in. Didn't see any taper yesterday and had someone compare my gauge to the avc-r. The AVC-R and my Defi BF boost gauge in vacum is about .1 bar off difference. However, as soon as boost builds to 0 bar they read the same. Very strange.

Yesterday I actually noticed that gears 1, 2, and 3 were not obtaining full boost but hitting around 1.2 to 1.3 instead. I adjusted the gear specific "start duty" for each of those gears to 5%, 3% and 1% and it seems to have fixed the problem. 4th and 5th gear I left at 0%. The unit now holds 1.45 bar all the way to redline. The reason I thought it was tapering before is the combination of low gear low boost and the inability to focus on the gauge for an extended amount of time. Thank god for playback! I will be setting up setting B at 1.2 bar with the same settings.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 07:12 AM

dear guru(s),
For the past week i have been experiencing problems with boost cut on my Evolution 7 and i am not sure if it is caused by my AVC-R or mods.

Initially when i got the car, it was boosting on high of 1.5bar with these mods:
KNN Cone Air Filter

Then i installed HKS SSQV BOV and no issue. Couple of days later i installed HKS Silent Hi-Power Cat Back Exhaust System and that night itself when i was on 4th gear doing 6000rpm, there was a loud BANG sound which came out of my exhaust. So i decided to take it to the mech and have them check my AVC-R settings and it was fine.

Anyway, i installed a Fuel Pressure Regulator and set it to 2.7bar from the original of 2.4bar. After installation, tested the car and it was doing flyboost (boosting to the max) until the car jerk which i believe it was boost cut at 1.7bar. According to my mech if there wasn't any boost cut, it might fly up to 2.0bar or more. So we checked the all the hose and noticed the vacuum hose for HKS boost meter was pretty loose; had it changed to silicon hose and cable tie it. Tested the car and same problem on 3rd gear high RPM and above.

Decided to re-look at the AVC-R settings but i am not familiar with cars as i just bought this Evo and it came with the AVC-R. I saw a couple of options like select car, duty cycle, self learn and others but i am worried about messing it up. I would like to set my A to 1.2 and B to 1.5; currently when the EBC is off, the car is going at 1.1bar, could anyone guide me?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by lazzy; Jun 15, 2005 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: AVC-R Install and settings