Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

UTEC and XEDE Comparo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2004, 07:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
UTEC and XEDE Comparo

I got a PM from a member who asked me a few interesting questions.. My response was a bit more in-depth than he might have been interested in. I found it to be a good reply and worthy of posting for everyone to see. Plus, its comparing the UTEC and the XEDE and I just don't have enough information about the XEDE to fairly compare the two. So I wanted others to contribute USEFUL INFORMATION! I want this to be a fair comparison of both products so people can make an educated decision. I realize this has been covered before, but it seems to happen on occasion. Since I respect Shiv and his efforts, I think its only fair that this post include only factual information, and personal (Nonconfrontational) experiences. In other words, I ask that the moderators sticky this thread and that members not use this as permission to flame any product. Please do not go offtopic, and please do not post unless you have a factual contribution. (mods.. Help us all.. )

Originally Posted by Sentinal
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the MBC's just adjust boost only and not A/F?

between Utec and Xede which is easier to use? Can you download maps for them online for spacific mods? and will they work on a stock car without hurting anything? How difficult is installing them? and do they have any display to show you boost level or A/F or anything else or will additonal gauges be needed

Sorry for so many n00b questions I've never done this before my knowledge stops after suspention intake and exhaust
Yes, the MBC only adjusts boost, and the S-AFC would adjust your AFR's.. That covers the two major concerns you woulod have and their a great setup if your budget minded.

I think the Utec is easier to use once you can get used to their "text only" interface... honestly, their both easy to work on once your comfortable with their interfaces. Both can be used on any car regardless of modification level. The XEDE has several maps available, however I recommend some level of custom tuning regardless of either platform. The honest truth is no "downloaded map" will adequately address your specific car, anyone who tells you otherwise is not being entirely honest with you. However downloaded maps are always a good starting point. There aren't many for the UTEC offered by TurboXS, but there are about a dozen for the XEDE. There is one difference though, the UTEC has alot more user support and there are user maps and members who have alot of experience and can help you out. The XEDE doesn't seem to have that same level of contribution.

Neither the XEDE or the UTEC have AFR listed in their logs, the problem isn't that their not capable of it, but that our built-in O2 sensor isn't accurate enough to tune with. Thats just an unfortunate fact about any narrowband O2 sensor on most production vehicles. With that said, the TurboXS Tuner can be used in conjunction with the UTEC and you can log AFR data with your tuning logs. The UTEC also has an optional MAP sensor to show boost pressure in your logs. Additionally that Map sensor can be used for closed loop boost control giving you a very capable boost controller solution (both are capable of boost control, however closed loop boost control is a UTEC only feature and an MBC or EBC is not needed)

I cannot currently make any more comments on the XEDE because I don't own one to test out. The only thing I do know in addition to the features I've mentioned when comparing is the Utec has direct control over timing, the Xede uses offsets.. You will have to make your decision on what you think is better after you research the pros and cons of that. Currently fuel control on both function similarly (MAF offset) However in the next firmware release, the UTEC will directly control the fuel injectors (I have been testing it and it works great) therefore things such as injector scaling, ECU rev and speed limiters, Boost cut, and fuel cut are no longer an issue and will not require a reflash on the UTEC. The Xede will require some level of reflash for any of those changes.

In all, you will never make a mistake with either product, the UTEC is an easier install, and has boost reading in the logs, and also will append AFR's if you get the tuner, its also capable of several programmed maps (5).

the XEDE should have wideband input at some point in the future, its slightly more difficult to install. However that shouldn't sway your decision, its no more difficult than connecting an additional wire or two. Finally the XEDE is capable of two maps.

Your local tuner should be able to tune either of these without much difficulty. However you should contact someone locally to see what they used, since local support will be more important overall.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up jack! You ALWAY have something to contribute to this board.
The one thing that I question is the level of support . It seems like there are alot more people with the Xede, thus the information pool is larger. There always seems to be more activity on the Vishnu board.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Nevermind Im not supposted to post in other vendors forums- woops

Last edited by David@Vishnu; Sep 19, 2004 at 08:34 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 08:36 AM
EvoM Guru

I suppose its ok if you want to talk about the features of the XEDE.. You can PM me with the info you want posted and I'll post it..

Actually maybe the mods can move this thread to a neutral forum?

Last edited by MalibuJack; Sep 19, 2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Malibujack: I learn something new everytime you post on here. this is my current project for my evo. I'm trying to decide between the two. thanks for such an informative post.

-Chad-
Old Sep 19, 2004, 09:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Its always good to keep an open mind and let the product speak for itself. I can only relate my experiences with the product I've worked with most. So I'm hoping the other contributions are positive and will help in the process.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

I really wish more would be posted on this subject. I have recently been trying to decide between the two and any and all info would be appreciated
Old Nov 18, 2004, 08:18 PM
EvoM Guru

There is actually another thread posted in a more neutral forum.. Ultimately it resulted in an "Agree to disagree" response between the approaches that the Xede takes and the UTEC takes.. I have my opinions on the subject, but you really need to decide for yourself what is best for you. But try to do a search, there's definitely another very good thread that myself, shiv, and a few others posted with pretty good, and solid information on both platforms.

If your caught between the two products trying to decide, you have to give alot of thought to whether or not you plan on doing alot of tuning yourself, the kind of boost, gas, and mods you want to run, and the features your looking for out of these products.. My opinion on the subject is biased, but I am openminded enough to say that your ultimate decision should be made after weighing the features of both. Features that may be desirable on one side, may be considered undesirable on the other side..