Notices
Gruppe-S Engineering - California [Visit Site]

Rust issues with *brand new* Helix DNAs!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:13 AM
ST
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust issues with *brand new* Helix DNAs!

Since Gruppe-S is not responding to my inquiry on return/warranty on these parts, I wanted to warn folks about the Helix DNA coilovers that they are selling. I purchased this just last week and was installing them this past weekend. During the course of placing in the fronts, my friend and I noticed RUST on the seams between the shock and mounting brackets! Again these are brand spanking new DNAs i picked up personally from Gruppe-S. While normally I wouldn't care about blemishes, rust/oxidation is a whole other story, especially when it is right by the shock bracket welds. I have tried to contact Gruppe-S the past couple of days aobut this, but all attempts have failed. Please be forwarned!

Note: These pics were AFTER i scrapped off as much of the rust as possible.

Last edited by ST; Aug 9, 2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh wow....
Old Aug 9, 2006, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ST - We apologize for the lack of response regarding this issue... we've been short staffed this past week. This is the first case we've seen of rust like that (or of any kind as a matter of fact) with the Helix coilovers. Please bring them back and we'll exchange them for a new set.

Thanks

Max
Old Aug 9, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me, it looks like there plated and the plating has chipped, causing exposure. Sounds like Gruppe-S (max) is going to take care of you, good customer service Max.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 01:30 PM
ST
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
ST - We apologize for the lack of response regarding this issue... we've been short staffed this past week. This is the first case we've seen of rust like that (or of any kind as a matter of fact) with the Helix coilovers. Please bring them back and we'll exchange them for a new set.

Thanks

Max
Hello Max,
I am sorry I have to communicate through this avenue of the boards, but it seems it is the only response i can get presently. Is there a direct extension I can actually speak to someone by voice (no one has been answer the past few days). The shocks are on the car now, because I took 3 hours to put them on, only to find this issue. Would you be open to a full return (since I do not want to waste my time taking them on and off, getting alignment again, and incurring my time/labor/cost with this?

Regards,
ST
Old Aug 9, 2006, 09:45 PM
Former Sponsor

ST - Ah.. if the coilovers have been installed thenw e can take them back for a return unfortunately We can swap youa new bracket to replace the one with the rusting issue if you'd like. You can e-mail directly at max@gruppe-s.com

Thanks

Max
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
ST
Evolving Member

thanks for the reply max - my only concern is that I will be losing out another $100 on alignment, not to mention the install of the new shock thereof.

what is the warranty on the Helix DNAs, period and coverage?
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

And this is why its so cheap.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

ST - One full year from date of purchase. It would cover any manufacturing defects including the rusting.

Thanks

Max
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ST
thanks for the reply max - my only concern is that I will be losing out another $100 on alignment, not to mention the install of the new shock thereof.

what is the warranty on the Helix DNAs, period and coverage?
So you went ahead and installed them and had a $100 alignment knowing you wanted to return them or a refund? It looks like the pics were taken previous to the install.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:07 AM
ST
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by broeli
So you went ahead and installed them and had a $100 alignment knowing you wanted to return them or a refund? It looks like the pics were taken previous to the install.
The pics were taken AFTER installing 3 of the 4 coilover sets (note the brakeline in the background of the pic). Only after placing in the last coilover did we notice the rust, which was 3-4 hours after we started. Since the car was at my buddies place, and we were pressed for time, we finished the install anyhow. Unfortunately, the alignment was reallly, really jacked up, so i had no choice but rectify that professionally. It wasn't necessarily the rust that caused me to seek a refund, but rather the service (or lack thereof). Gruppe-S is somewhat local to me, thus I wanted to purchase from them (and in doing so bought almost all Helix stuff - they are almost the lone distributor). I don't mind blemishes here and there, because sh*t happens, and maybe expected too much. =/

Last edited by ST; Aug 11, 2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 03:24 PM
ST
Evolving Member

Welp, I finally got through to Gruppe-S and actually got to talk to Max first hand. I am happy to say that we found a resolution to this issue that will make us both happy.

Thanks Max...