Notices
GSC Motorsports - Charleston, SC [Visit Site]

GSC Beehive spring failure

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSC Beehive spring failure

If you love your engine, AVOID GSC Power Division parts. I installed a set of GSC S2 cams and valve springs in a customers EVO 8 a few weeks ago. Pretty routine install, I've done tons of them. I had done a full engine build on the car a few months earlier, 10.5:1 compression, Eagle Rods, ect. I get the car back together and start it up to let it idle and warm up before I make some tuning adjustments. The car was running for about 3 minutes and it made a clunk sound and shut off. I tried to spin the crank by hand but it was getting stuck at a certain spot each way. So I pulled the spark plug and looked inside to see the valve sideways in the cylinder. I pulled the valve cover and seen that the spring had broken and collapsed. I took it all apart to see a total mess. I first called MAP who sold me the parts and I was told to call GSC directly. I called them and they told me to send the spring to them to be tested. I sent them all the springs, they tested all of them. From what they tell me all the springs are good besides one being broken. There was no signs of an incorrect installation either and basically is was not either parties fault and they tell me they will replace the one spring. Well I sure the hell am NOT putting these back in after I repair the $1500-$2000 in damage the spring caused me. The break on the spring is very clean, the spring in not bent nor scratched, it just broke, and ruined my customers engine. Well they have refused to help me, so all I can do is help others by spreading the word that they sell cheap junk that can destroy your engine. Please share this and spread the word.

TrevTec Motorsports, Las Vegas NV

Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Show this to Bradley at English racing, they only run GSC, and I do too. Seems pretty rare if this infact is a gsc spring, but im still going to run them
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One failure seems hardly a reason to avoid running GSC. Good luck with your forum bashing involving one failure.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Sodium filled exhaust valve broke...which came first the chicken or the egg? Let me guess, there was over a 100K on the original valves? Picture of the retainer?

Last edited by JohnBradley; Aug 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This might actually be THE ONLY failure of the GSC springs that's been reported.

Sucks this failure happened but it is not at all an indication of a common problem.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 12:17 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by project_skyline
One failure seems hardly a reason to avoid running GSC. Good luck with your forum bashing involving one failure.
+1

This is news to me, there are hundreds of evos out there running GSC parts without issue.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:02 PM

I really wouldnt expect a valve no matter what type to win a battle with a piston. The fact is, this happen, and it happen to me. Could be a new bad batch, not sure, Im more concerned with the fact they will not own up to it.

Maybe its a one in a million thing, who knows. It did happen and now I have to pay for it. Luckily there are lots of other companies to buy springs from.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TREVTEC
I really wouldnt expect a valve no matter what type to win a battle with a piston. The fact is, this happen, and it happen to me. Could be a new bad batch, not sure, Im more concerned with the fact they will not own up to it.

Maybe its a one in a million thing, who knows. It did happen and now I have to pay for it. Luckily there are lots of other companies to buy springs from.
You didnt really answer the question about the valves lifespan though. We have seen the stock exhaust valves break at 145k more or less. This can go 2 ways on the spring since it can bind if the valve drops.

I would say that it if they were willing to replace the spring, take time to check them out, thats better than being told to pound sand. If it was broke or breaking normally it will hang the valve enough that the car Subes out and you can hear its not right, this just went straight to broken?

I understand the frustration but even you admit there many possibilities of what could have caused it so this thread really serves no purpose. If you had phrased this as "Anyone else ever seen this" or "What happened" rather than just putting them on blast you may have gotten a better response, especially considering you arent even a Vendor here.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Aug 30, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
You didnt really answer the question about the valves lifespan though. We have seen the stock exhaust valves break at 145k more or less. This can go 2 ways on the spring since it can bind if the valve drops.

I would say that it if they were willing to replace the spring, take time to check them out, thats better than being told to pound sand. If it was broke or breaking normally it will hang the valve enough that the car Subes out and you can hear its not right, this just went straight to broken?

I understand the frustration but even you admit there many possibilities of what could have caused it so this thread really serves no purpose. If you had phrased this as "Anyone else ever seen this" or "What happened" rather than just putting them on blast you may have gotten a better response, especially considering you arent even a Vendor here.
Well it started a little misfire and slowed down the RPM then just came to an abrupt stop. This was at idle, 3 minutes after I installed them. This was on an EVO 8 with 49K miles.

And Im not just putting them on blast, we have been talking back and forth for a few weeks. I took the spring to a few machine shops, shown the picture to tons of people and they all say the same thing, "Inferior metal", plain and simple.

They are sending me the set back with a new spring, the rest I have to eat.

I am not gonna put these in ANYTHING and these might have cost me $2200 but the first person to post up a name and address will get a free set of GSC valve springs, if they really send them.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Unless it went out for metallurgy I dont see it being plain and simple. We have installed hundreds of these sets and not had issues.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:55 PM

They told me it went to a Metalurgist, "They didn't find any issues".

I challenge anyone to break a valve spring without bending or scratching it in anyway. Its pretty clear what happen, you can see all the pics, this spring is flawless besides it being broke in half.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that sucks, seems like a very rare occurence.

Originally Posted by TREVTEC
I am not gonna put these in ANYTHING and these might have cost me $2200 but the first person to post up a name and address will get a free set of GSC valve springs, if they really send them.
Dustin Carnes
I'll PM you my address if you were serious
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
There are defects in all manufacturing processes, unfortunately.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 90zcrex
Well that sucks, seems like a very rare occurence.

Dustin Carnes
I'll PM you my address if you were serious
First person to post a name and address, its so GSC knows who to send them to
Old Aug 30, 2013, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Michael Roark
12613 NE 95th St.
Vancouver, WA 98682

(J/K You can send them to someone that really needs them)

Sorry to hear about the failure. This is rare. We run GSC products in our cars without issues.

Last edited by ETS Michael; Aug 30, 2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: GSC Beehive spring failure