Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

BOV vacuum line

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 09:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you got sent a vlv set up for the evo's... works fine on lancers as well. What you do is hook the manifold vacuum line to the purple cap's nipple. That is essential. The reason they tapped the inlet flange is so that you can connect that spot to the other fitting on the greddy. You connect that nipple on the flange to the small tube coming out of the bottom side of the greddy BOV.

On the evo's the greddy has issues with releasing quick enough. So to get around this you need to feed that other fitting on the greddy from a pressure source. The pressure side is always being fed by the turbo and comes before the TB... to make it easy they just tapped the inlet flange.

To reconfirm... connect your manifold vacuum line to the bov's top nipple located in the purple cap. Then connect the tapped nipple, from the inlet flange, to the little nipple located on the bottom of the greddy bov. Since it isn't really necessary on the lancer you can plug the tapped location on the flange or connect it. It won't hurt anything doing it either way.

Personnally i did it that way as well and found it improved my part throttle bov release. Seems in that area the bov is so hesitant it can make your car feel choppy due to the compressor surge that takes place. While it's minimal it's noticeable... that tapped flange is the key to correcting the surge.

Hope this clears things up.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wish you would have called us about it. We would gladly answer those questions.

ROAD/RACE
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I should be certified RRM tech support!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ROCK
Wish you would have called us about it. We would gladly answer those questions.

ROAD/RACE
As I recall, I had a conversation with you about 2 months ago on the phone. I asked you specifically questions regarding my BOV leaking and coming open under boost pre-maturely. You assured me the BOV was not leaking, to set the screw back to 2 turns and check other things. The only reason this came up was because I saw a picture of Prototypemike's BOV and I noticed my setup looked nothing similar. How am I supposed to know there is a missing vacuum nipple and I have the wrong flange? Like I said in an earlier post, there is no vacuum nipple on the purple part of the bOV, just a threaded hole... I will look for the piece in the garage, but will be calling if I can't find it. I don't recall ever receiving that piece...
Old Feb 25, 2005, 07:33 PM
EvoM Guru

That peice comes with the kit in the box... i don't think ROCK understood what you were asking or saying. The BOV is guaranteed not to leak... if hooked up wrong like yours though it can open prematurely and stay open. It's more of installer error on that part and a vendor problem if you didn't get the nipple.

Keep in mind that is a product sold in the box direct from greddy... any instructions come from them not RRM.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer
That peice comes with the kit in the box... i don't think ROCK understood what you were asking or saying. The BOV is guaranteed not to leak... if hooked up wrong like yours though it can open prematurely and stay open. It's more of installer error on that part and a vendor problem if you didn't get the nipple.

Keep in mind that is a product sold in the box direct from greddy... any instructions come from them not RRM.
Yeah I understand what you are saying, but when I recevied the BOV, the box had been opened and the flange was already connected to it. I pull it out of the box, and leave the vacuum nipple at an angle open and attach the "other" vacuum nipple to the IM. Little did I know I had to install a third vacuum line and cap off another... I would credit the install error to poor instructions (Let me know there is a vacuum line on the flange that needs to be capped off...) or wrong parts being sent out (don't send me a flange with a vacuum nipple tapped into it...).

Anyway, I got it hooked up properly now and yes, the BOV is sounding like I never heard it before. I would describe it as a chirping whistle noise. I need to reset my ECU but I have a feeling my issues will be resolved finally. Well, I better not get too excited but my idle is now smooth and AF ratios are back to normal.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:13 PM
EvoM Guru

I see your anger i'm just saying not to blame RRM for it... they get things like that as is direct and send them out. Also the way you explained things wasn't very clear... if it wasn't for hotshot asking the right questions and seeing the pics i would have be scratching my head a little.

I know a good explanation on something you don't really know to much about can be hard but in a troubleshooting process it makes things more difficult when not explained well. I think this is what happened between you and RRM.

I'm glad i was able to assist as well as other members on here. That's what the boards are all about. Good luck.