Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Tunning with E-manage and new injectors.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tunning with E-manage and new injectors.

I have a few questions about tuning with an E-manage and 440cc injectors. I am running a t25 turbo at about 5-6psi of boost right now with a large front mount intercooler. The only fuel tuning it has right now is a Rising rate fuel pressure regulator. I have just got my E-manage fixed and have bought 440cc injectors from a Rx-7 which i read are a direct replacement in our cars. Ok, now my question is are the injectors hard to tune, i know all about changing the parameters in the emanage for larger injectors but i have also read that the idle needs additional adjustment after changing injector sizes, is this true and if so will my car run until i can get it tuned or does it need to be tuned right after install? My other question is, is it safe to raise the boost with the large intercooler and new injectors, im thinking 8-10psi? 5psi seems really conservative, even for stock internals.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

not sure on all of that but ill give you a bump cause i wana know....
Old Mar 22, 2005, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Did you get the latter year RX-& injectors (don't know which year)? The early years injectors have different ohms.

I'll get a person who know RX-7's injectors better than I.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:07 AM

Heres a link i found that shows the ohms and injector size for each year of the rx7 http://www.supra-tech.com/Tech/Injectors.htm
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Im not sure the exact year but they are from the newer second generation rx7's 89-91 area. They are 460cc high impedance. I bought them from Banzai Racing for $110 shipped.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Also the model number on the injectors is 195500-2010.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ozturbo
I have a few questions about tuning with an E-manage and 440cc injectors. I am running a t25 turbo at about 5-6psi of boost right now with a large front mount intercooler. The only fuel tuning it has right now is a Rising rate fuel pressure regulator. I have just got my E-manage fixed and have bought 440cc injectors from a Rx-7 which i read are a direct replacement in our cars. Ok, now my question is are the injectors hard to tune, i know all about changing the parameters in the emanage for larger injectors but i have also read that the idle needs additional adjustment after changing injector sizes, is this true and if so will my car run until i can get it tuned or does it need to be tuned right after install? My other question is, is it safe to raise the boost with the large intercooler and new injectors, im thinking 8-10psi? 5psi seems really conservative, even for stock internals.
Those 460cc's are, in my opinion, pretty big for just 5 - 6 psi on that small of a turbo. When you say you have a rising rate FPR, do you just mean a regular 1:1 rising rate, or a boost dependent rrFPR with a different ratio like a Vortech unit? Either way, you will need some sort of piggyback to control those injectors as they will have you running pig rich. However, I dont think the injectors are very hard to tune in.... I have done a rough seat-of-the-pants tune with my 460cc's with just SAFC and the car is running pretty well.... No wideband O2 but the EGTs remain solid across the band. And it was quite easy... Having said that, I have never tried an Emanage with my setup and I dont know how familiar you are with Emanage and its settings. My idle needed a slight adjustment after I installed them, in terms of I turned the BISS screw maybe a 1/4 of a turn open, but it was nothing drastic. My advice though, if you have the resources to get it dyno tuned, then do it. When I was running pig rich (AFC correction at 0), I was burning so much gas you could see it in the air... now, it is much more daily driveable and polluting-friendly and hauls at WOT on a butt-tune .... but if you do have the resources to get it dialed in correctly, I would advise you to do it. You can drive your car without it, but you will sleep better at night with it.

Personally, based on my experience with the smaller motors, I woudl say it is safe to crank it up to 8 - 10 psi. Others on this site will chime in and say dont do it. I personally know people in the 4G93 that have ran 10 - 12 psi untuned (as in non-dyno tuned) and lived to walk another day. I have heard rumours of people running 15 psi on stock internals tuned and having no severe ill effects. On that note, I have heard of people running 12 untuned, doing 60 - 140mph drops on the highway and boom. All depends on your level of comfort and your level of desire to get the car running right, and your degree of monitoring tools. I personally think that spending upwards of 3 - 4 Gs on these expensive turbo kits, then running 5 psi is useless. But that is just me.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

The emanage can convert the fuel maps for you by entering stock injector size and then the larger injectors size, so im not to worried about running extremely rich, i just heard tuning your car to idle correctly with larger injectors was a pain. I guess i will find out next week when everything is installed. I have access to tuning my car with a wideband meter, and on a very rare occassion i may be able to get my car tuned on the dyno for free, though getting it tuned on a dyno may be a few months away from when the new injectors are installed.
Old Mar 25, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

The injectors came to day and ill be installing them Monday. I will be doing just a seat of the pants tune and in the next few weeks will be getting it tuned with a Wideband meter.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

If you're going to tune, you need a secoond person to help you out. It's really hard to just do it yoursrself.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

i know mark (Qtlancer) is tuned on Emanage try to talk to him
not so sure if he did injectors though... Im sure your car will be
driveable you just might me running really rich. I was tuned
with safcII and 550cc inj running so rich i just had to get the
AEM EMS asap was spending so much on gas. Do you have
internals also?? If you dont i think you can turn up boost to
9psi maybe 10?? I hope this goes smoothly and let me know
what numbers you put up?? Goodluck! Hope you can just get it
on the dyno. yes it was a pain to tune the new injectors and had to
adjust idle as well like airquez said
Old Mar 26, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

I won't be tuning on a dyno for a long while, i need to spend the money on a Wide band guage. Also I dont have internals right know i think my next upgade will be a new clutch, im trying to go in steps of what i think are going to need replaced before they actually give out on me. On the terms of tuning what is a safe a/f ratio with good power gains. I was thinking 12-12.5, is this going to be to lean? Also with 9-10psi should i tune it closer to 11.-11.9.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

I installed the injectors today and its not working out to well, the idle is extremely lumpy and the car is pretty much undrivable, well atleast i didnot attempt to drive it. The injector correction factor does not seem to be working or atleast i dont feel a diffrence. I hope to have it running in the next day or two. If any one has any advice please feel free to help. Also does anyone know where i can figure the amount of flow over the stock injectors the new ones are flowing so i can make an estimate on how much fuel i need to remove for the car to be running normal.