Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

ways to chill intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2005, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ways to chill intercooler?

i'm a bit curious how many different ways you can chill an intercooler, ie water spray, alcohol spray, but what else? anything effective but non combustive? i really don't know much about this sorta stuff, but i need the info for a project coming up (not really car related)
Old Apr 4, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

I've heard and see the halo intercoolers but from everything I have read they do nothing unless you use NOS spraying on them and it is just because some of the NOS is sucked in therough the intake. People have used a halo with CO2 which is atleast -10 C and it still had little to no effect on HP. This is from audi, mazda, mitsu, and subi people so I wouldn't think that anything would yield too much of a difference
Old Apr 5, 2005, 06:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want a non-combustable system, just get a water sprayer (like the Evo) or use the CryO2 system.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 06:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im pretty sure that liquid air kits are not allowed for street use. Here is a legal way around this. All you need is a washer bottle and pump, 8 feet of wash hose, 4 washer jets, 6 feet of wire , an inline fuse (10A) and a toggle switch. You should be able to pick this up from your local scrap yard for under $30.00
Find a spot under the hood to mount the bottle and pump. Run the washer hose to the intercooler and mount the 4 jets. When they spray they will cover the intercooler with washer fluid. Fill the bottle with -40 washer fluid and test it by running the wire to the battery (make sure you have the fuse in place). Bam your done. The alcholal in the washer fluid evaporates fast and will drop the air temp 10-20.
Since the washer fluid is enviromentally friendly it is legal.

**Note**
(Regurgutated post from BIG BEN...I cleaned up his inability to post in lower case and posted it here)
Old Apr 5, 2005, 06:47 AM
Account Disabled

thanks for the help guys. yeah, i was thinking the cry02 system, but the problem is, carbon dioxide isn't so heatlthy to breath
Old Apr 5, 2005, 09:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Does the IC really get that hot? Unless it's getting very hot I wouldn't even waste my time/money.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

mount it outside the car Front mount it get a bigger IC

the washerfluid injection idea is good..... even better would be if you can find real sprayers that would mist the fluid (because mist evaporates faster than a stream).... but it'll be more expensive, I'm sure.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

mount it inside the car and turn on the A/C
Old Apr 5, 2005, 12:46 PM
Account Disabled

well, i guess i should reveal my intentions: this isn't for a intercooler at all. my other passion is computers, specifically overclocking them, which recquires me to watercool my system.

i'm trying to come up with another idea to chill the heater core we use as radiators besides pushing ambient air through. i believe an alcohol/water mixture (atomized of course via mist nozzles) would work best

thanks for the help guys
Old Apr 5, 2005, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

If that's the case, you should look into cooling options like liquid gasses, or dry ice
Old Apr 5, 2005, 02:27 PM
Account Disabled

well, dry ice is good for temporary benching, but you have to build a copper tube of sorts to hold it, which involves braising. as for phase change cooling, that is the witches t!t for cpu cooling, but its fairly expensive and you have to know alot to do it right
Old Apr 5, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HobieKopek
Unless it's getting very hot I wouldn't even waste my time/money.
I am with Andrew. An intercooler really doesn't need cooling help. The sprayers and what not amount to overkill unless you have some unholy race setup. A properly sized intercooler will be fine on its own.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by airlinevomitbag
I am with Andrew. An intercooler really doesn't need cooling help. The sprayers and what not amount to overkill unless you have some unholy race setup. A properly sized intercooler will be fine on its own.

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread.