Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

tsi setup pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile tsi setup pros and cons

Alright lets keep this thread civil guys, the point of this thread is for the install pics of the tsi kit with a few mods and dress up mods, in no way is this a thread meant to discuss whos d**k is bigger than whos or better, I will be honest and un biased about the pros and cons about this kit, this is to help every one out especially the tsi guys who are having difficulties. Let the ?s begin.
Attached Thumbnails tsi setup pros and cons-catch-can.jpg   tsi setup pros and cons-engine-close.jpg   tsi setup pros and cons-engine-far.jpg   tsi setup pros and cons-turbo-manifold.jpg   tsi setup pros and cons-intercooler.jpg  

Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Few more pics for yall.Including my homemade intercooler sprayers and the shaved trunk.
Attached Thumbnails tsi setup pros and cons-front-end.jpg   tsi setup pros and cons-front-side.jpg   tsi setup pros and cons-rear-side.jpg   tsi setup pros and cons-water-spray.jpg   tsi setup pros and cons-trunk.jpg  

Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:38 PM
Account Disabled

Too bad you had to start a new thread. NG forgot to take his meds.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

well, how much fitment and fabrication have you had to do? Not for the extras, per se, but just to get it to work? how much did you have to spend, in addition to the kit, to get it to work? I've heard that the major problem with this kit is that it's not really plug-n-play...
Old Jul 7, 2005, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

had to figure out that the mas had to be in the same place as it would be for a cai, buy 2 more gaskets to extend the pipe past the oil pan shave the pan for a few minutes and mount the blow off valve before the mas.Cut the bumper for the large intercooler. And get something else for a fuel pump either an inline like me or a stock upgrade. But the fmu is nice 14:1 and a loud *** blowoff valve.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 05:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

As far as I can tell the only problems I have with the kit are the manifold design...which isn't the worst design, but certainly not the best imo, the placement of the O2 sensor (again, could be worse, but of the kits available it's the worst placement imo again), and the fuel management. I just don't true the simple high fuel pressure approach to fuel tuning. It lacks...well...tuning. Otherwise, I think it seems like a very nice alternative to more expensive RRM and RPW kits, though I don't see it as being the kit with the most to offer.

All in all I wish more people would buy this kit so we could get more varied input, but I, and I think others do as well, appreciate the fact that you've been so candid about everything, and I look forward to hearing more from you in the future. Boost on!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

People on the MSP forum are concerned with putting the MAS after the turbo. They say it could cause premature failure of the MAS because of the added air pressure (the MSP has stock BOV issues, so people move the MAS and then vent to atmosphere). Do you feel there will be any issues? Why do it that way instead of mounting the mas pre-turbo?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

hey, ive been following u since day one, and then when u left i followed airlinevommitbag, no im not stalking u, lol. i AM however very interested in buying the tsi kit. i chose to sell my custom kit and put that money in the bank for my motor rebuild, once its rebuilt and BEEFED up, im going FI. i have thought a LOT about this kit and the others, i actually like this kit the most, mainly cause i had the rrm manifold setup, and it kinda looked funny, i mean it is tooo many pipes and too much restriction, plus it barely fits. i do like the rezt of rrm's kit though.

so, my questions to u are:
1.)do u have to remove crash bar for intercooler to fit?
2.)did u need to buy ANY pipe couplers or adapters?
3.)are u venting or recirc.?
4.)what does the wg come set at?
5.)what is THE ACTUAL brand of the turbo?
6.)have u had any problems with any of the parts(except for the fuel crap)?
7.)were the oil lines long enough?
8.)how much did u spend to have the car running good?
9.)not trying to start a war here, but whose kit do u in your own opinion think is better, rrm, rpw, or tsi? (personally i think tsi, cause u can have a shop tune it the same as rrm's and be pushing just as much reliable power for wayyy less moolahh, if i had the cash though i would go rrm for name brand parts mainly.)
10.)IN your honest opinion, was/is it worth it, to turbo a lancer?
11.)arent u overheating with just one fan?

thanks a TON for helpin me decide if i go turbo or sell the car, and since it seems u are the only one brave enough to have this kit, i figured who else am i gonna ask all these questions, lol. i have more questions for ya too, but they have ALL completely slipped my mind right now.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

I also have the TSI kit on my car and have had no reliabilty issues or any problems what so ever. The only place i see this kit lacking in is fuel management and maybe a bigger turbo, but for low boost the t25 is fine. I think with buying the kit and PROPER fuel management you can easily get the same results and save a few hundred dollars.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 02:30 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The T28 can swap directly in the T25's place, so you can always just swap it out and sell the T25 to recoup some of your costs or hold onto it as a backup turbo.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have been looking into upgrading the turbo looks like i can buy a gt28 for about $750 from TEC and sell my t25 on ebay for about 300, still need that $450 though.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 02:39 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, it's definitely a worthwhile upgrade though IMO. Far better spool characteristics for a 16v 2.0l.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 10:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the TSI kits i've seen the T-25 isn't an exact fit for a true garret T-25/28. The exhaust housing on the TSI kit was a round 3 or 4 bolt flange. The Garret T-25/28's are not flanged in this way.

Any insight on this Ryan or another TSI kit owner?

Do your turbo's have the round flanges? The 4 that i've seen all did and the turbo's were knockoff garrets. That's one of my biggest gripes with the kit as their are known issues with the knockoff turbo's over time.

Also do your O2 sesor pipes drop down the left side of the turbo in kindof a flattened L shape? The one's i've seen have and that seems very restrictive to me. It also makes the O2 extension a must.

Lastely, great post... this is something i've wanted to see for a while but it always just ends up going to crap and becoming a versus type post. If that happens just report the person to a mod please!
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Its round but its got the garrett words casted in it and it has a serial number tag from garrett , this isnt a normal garrett turbo it spools different and it boosts higher i ran all weekend pissin off v8s at 12 psi fri and sat with no sweat, with this set up im sure the kit isnt putting up huge horse #s but with it , its putting out some hellla torque. When i let one of the guys with the road race kit boosting at 7-8 psi drive my car he was amazed at the torque and the acceleration 0- 100. I will admit its not as fast 90- on but im ok with it because i dont feel like going that fast on the highway and getting caught. I love getting smashed in the seat through 3rd gear.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I drilled a hole in that L pipe and welded a nut to the pipe for my o2 sensor, the 2nd sensor does have a hole pre made for it in the 2nd pipe they send you that eliminates the cat. The pipe does seem small i was going to make an exhaust cut out to come straight out behind the front wheel with a remote butterfly to open it and have it close it to run the current exhaust, to see a difference. Im just scared because i like the way the car spools and creates torque and i dont want to lose that torque to gain a couple extra horse.

Quick Reply: tsi setup pros and cons