Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Turbo Questions (BOV, Vac, Piggyback,etc)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo Questions (BOV, Vac, Piggyback,etc)

Hey

Got my turbo installed, i've been monitoring it, heres some questions ive been wondering

1. Got my boost gauge installed, when its idleing where should my boost gauge be sitting??

2. Can u make any BOV louder, i know its re-circulating but anyway to make it louder, n e tricks or n e thing?

3. ok heres a pic of my boost guage:

ok so w/ the stage 2 turbo, w/ the piggyback ur supposed to increase the idle to 1000rpm, well i did that it was going good, then i boosted it, was having a lil fun, wasnt bagging on it. then later on i was jus sitting in a parking lot talking to my friend and then my idle was going really weird, it went like
1000,500/600 and constantly fall and raise, it was almost like the throttle body was fighting w/ the piggyback. Then my boost level was sitting at was dropping to below 20(the 20 below the 0) and then i stalled. Then i drove it, stopped at a light, rpm's went to 1000 everything was cool, then i got home, car was being jumpy and sketchy like CRAZY, boost gauge was showing 15(15 below the 0)... and when im sometimes driving it hesitates a little, ITS ALMOST LIKE IT WANTS TO STALL BUT CANT.

...leading to the next thing

4. my downpipe isnt connected to my exhause so my car sounds like a lawnmower right now, does all this stuttering and what not have n e thing to do w/ all the back pressure and back fire im getting??

can n e one explain n e of this??

thanks
Old Aug 7, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Depending on where you taped your boost gauge and the boost gauge itself will determine what pressure it will stablize during idle. Also, it is perfectly fine when you are in idle that you are running -boost pressure. When you punch it and it boost your boost gauge should react properly.
4. Personally, I don't know what is causing the stuttering but I do know you should try to get that downpipe hooked up as soon as possible. You will be releasing all those dangerous fumes and they can be getting in your cab. Also, if you have the RRM header and a testpipe then it is perfectly normal that you are getting some backfire. This is due to the fact that the residue gas isn't getting burnt up in the catalytic converter. In addition, RRM setup tends to run rich.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

why start multiple thread, jut know it all out in one thread
Old Aug 7, 2005, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
why start multiple thread, jut know it all out in one thread

sorry as im monitoring my turbo i've been posting...ya ill jus post in this one then.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 06:29 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

1. Fine where it is (-20inHG)
2. Not really. VTA or get a more "open" filter.
3. Idle sounds to me like piggy vs. ECU, the rest sounds like either rich or lean (hard to tell from the description). Dyno it w/ WBO2 and/or buy a WBO2 w/ display.
4. Maybe, but I doubt it. See grubiaco's response.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 08:59 PM
EvoM Guru

he contacted me on this... he's got a leaky injector. Once he gets that fixed he should be good to go.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

ya im hoping it gets fixed...freakin sucks....
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer
he contacted me on this... he's got a leaky injector. Once he gets that fixed he should be good to go.
Did you ever have this problem, Boe? I had it for a while with my WRX injectors, but I know it wasn't the injectors themselves so much as the injector seals that seat the injector tip in the IM. Was really annoying, because it started leaking badly after the 2nd time I got my car running. I talked to Terry last night on AIM and he said you recommended filing down the plastic spacers that mount the fuel rail, so were you implying that the angle the injectors are sitting at was a factor?
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Just trying to allow him to bolt the rail down farther and compress the lower seals better. I really don't like the way those lower seals are. Wish it was an o-ring seal like most other cars. But what you gonna do huh?

Terry... you could upgrade to the magnum fuel rail. I made mounts specifically for the stage 2 setup so that there are no leaks whatsoever. Also it's a good support mod. Ask RRM if they have any in stock if interested.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:42 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, I agree with the lower seals. They're a royal ***** and they do seem like they don't expand enough to stay compressed now that you mention it. Another pet peeve of mine though is dropping those ******* spacers onto the runners of the IM or through the engine bay. What a PITA. I removed mine when I put the RC Eng 440's in place.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 09:47 AM
EvoM Guru

I removed the spacers as well with the magnum rail. They are a real pain!
Old Aug 8, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer

Terry... you could upgrade to the magnum fuel rail. I made mounts specifically for the stage 2 setup so that there are no leaks whatsoever. Also it's a good support mod. Ask RRM if they have any in stock if interested.
I think i might jus do that...so the magnum fuel rail at rrm is a direct plug and play for the rc injectors or did u have to modify it for the injectors to work as well?
Old Aug 8, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

it also pisses me off cause its that one freakin injector...the others sit good, this one is spittin fuel likes its a bad habit.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 03:09 PM
EvoM Guru

I designed the magnum rail to be a direct fit for both the stock and RC injectors. Just tell RRM which setup you want and they'll include the right hardware for you. The mounting clips are different for NA/Stage 2 so ensure you specify your stage 2.

The instructions give good pics of everything as well as being very detailed. If you have questions you know how to get ahold of me as well.

Seems i always had the one injector issue as well... usually the drivers side. Thus the magnum rail was born! I upgraded imapunkclaimer's car to it as well due to the same thing. Also i wanted him to have a better fuel supply as he's representin at local meets.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Update:

fixed the injector yesterday, one of the "O" rings (the 2nd injector on the passenger side) had a nasty chunk out of it, like easily a quarter of the seal was gone...hmmmm i wonder why fuel was spitting out from the top? so we tried lookin for a "O" ring last night but couldnt find one so i called my friend who installed my turbo and he said "why dont u try the "O" ring from the stock injectors" so he came to my house dropped em off, we tried em and ya SO FAR SOO GOOD (im still getting the rrm fuel rail to feel safe) my friend even said it was a tighter fit.

Problems had along the way, idle was a sketchy when 1st started it b/c one my vac lines was pinched to the injectors so it was cutting off fuel...it was weird, as soon as u adjusted it the idle was like smooooooooth, my brother even said "ur car sounds way better"

heres my only problem...when im like crusing in like 4th gear or like 3rd even, and im sitting at like 1500-2000RPM( u know jus like trying to flow w/ traffic, save gas, doing the speed limit,etc ) my car stutters a lil bit, its not like a jerky motion but u feel it stutter, i think its when i move the gas pedal a lil bit, cant remember and then my boost guage moves to about -25, what would the issue, is it n e of these issues:

- the fact that my exhaust isnt hooked up b/c of my downpipe to exhaust issue
or
- piggyback still learning??

also is it normal for your boost guage to goto -30 when u deacclerate??

my runs really good EXCEPT for that lil stutter when crusing and im really wondering why... i hope someone has some answer for me.

Boe, I get paid next week so im gonna use a fraction of that check to buy that fuel rail, my brother said, rather be safe then sorry.

Also boe, my idle as dropped to like 700-800rpm now when its nice and warm, hasnt hit 500rpm, the idle seems normal, seems smooth. Should i move it back at 1000rpm or leave it and wait til it drops..we moved it to 1000rpm saturday night and i jus been running my car last night and this morning, so i'd imagine it takes time to go back down, i was jus double checking w/ u

Last edited by Go_Lancer_Go; Aug 9, 2005 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Questions (BOV, Vac, Piggyback,etc)