Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Anyone figure out the 04 issue

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2005, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone figure out the 04 issue

Has anyone got the anwser to the 04 turbo issue with the fuel. If so please let me know. I want to buy a kit and if i can buy one for an 03 and make it work for the 04 let me know.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Do some research. The only issue has been the fuel. The 2004+ models have a returnless fuel system, which causes a problem for some reason with fuel pressure and using an FMU. If you run some searches on Google (and try b15sentra.net) try looking up how to convert a returnless fuel system to a return fuel system. I think all you need to do is swap fuel rails with a 1.8L Mirage, or 02-03 Lancer, then run the fuel line back to the gas tank.

The other option is to add an injector in the intake pipe right before the throttle body and manage is using a Greddy eManage or similar unit.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 09:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RRM has it figured out and installing on a customers car in Sept. Should have results soon. A little more patients and you'll be able to get it all in one package.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

i understand that but what if i want to go with a different turbo rather than RRM. It seems that the rrm stage 1 is as much as others stage 2. WHy should i pay so much more.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Seeing as stage 1 rrm kits have been putting down comparitive numbers that other stage 2's that's why. Also trying to get support for things if your not local isn't as easy as other vendors would have you think. RRM is well known for their support even when your 3k+ miles away. You get what you pay for... that's what i say.

But hey... if you want custom and can figure it out go for it. Until then RRM will be there if you want them to be.

As for others figuring it out i don't know of any. There will be somebody soon though i'm sure, but how dependable the result will be is something you'll have to think about.

In the end it's about what you want... power with reliability... custom with pride... a little of both... just don't try to pinch pennies to much or you'll end up spending more than you could imagine and still having issues.

Good luck to you...
Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

what are some of the numbers the kits are putting out? Which kits will be easier to add on to and stuff like that? I also do a bunch of traveling will a turbo be say to drive lets say 12-15 hours a day?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:18 PM
EvoM Guru

the stage 1 ic'd kits have put down between 185-215whp on 5 speeds... 170-195 on auto's. The non ic'd kits have been able to produce 175-190whp on 5 speeds... 165-185 on auto's.

Comparitively there are kits putting down similiar numbers for less cost but only one has been showing real reliability in kit form. That's the RIPP SC. Not bashing SC's in anyway but in terms of power they are not really equal. An SC doesn't see peak boost till redline... a TC see's it at around 3k rpm. Thus the powerband of a TC kit is broader than that of an SC.

The TSI kit has started to get figured out but still has nothing real significant to show other than people needing to figure some things out and do custom work to get it running correctly. Nothing big if you know what your doing but if you don't this could put a big damper on your progress.

As far as a TC's reliability... i've got a 1G eclipse with over 190k miles on it... it's turbo'd and running at 16psi on that motor still. I drive the hell out of the car. There is no reason a TC shouldn't be reliable on a long drive. NONE.

If your looking at gas mileage the TC is the most effecient and form of FI and proven the most fuel efficient for cruising. However if you've got a heavy foot you will drain down the gas since it takes a lot of fuel to run any FI setup. If you lock it in cruise you'd see the best mileage out of a TC out of any other means of FI.

Hope this helps...
Old Aug 25, 2005, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

true TC is way better for your 4 banger imho. and some people have rrm turbo's that have 30k miles put on them. And they still have no problems. just take care of it when you do get it , and you will be fine.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

never heard of a tc kit for a lancer?
Old Aug 25, 2005, 01:20 PM
EvoM Guru

RRM has been turboing the lancer since it came out in 02... due to some changes with the 04+ they needed to redesign a few things but they will continue to TC the lancer for a long time to come.

In fact they are the first company to turbo the lancer and have been a vendor on EVOM for almost as long as the board has existed. You've probably seen their "modern Image" car in several magazines... it's a yellow lancer all stickered up. It was the first US lancer turbo'd.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Blah blah Lancers.... Miragers did it first....

And faster
Old Aug 26, 2005, 06:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AirQuez

And faster
You gotta love the mirage guys...
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

LOL my bad TC short for turbo charge haha
Old Aug 27, 2005, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AirQuez

And faster
true