Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Turbo kit vs. Custom kit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2005, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo kit vs. Custom kit

What do you guys tyhink is better. Spend more money and have everything or just build a turbo kit? And which one will have less problems or will they both have them?
Old Oct 14, 2005, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

i'm going to handle this one since i'm probably the stupidest person on here to ever piece together their own kit.

if you're the type of person who has to ask the difference between a CAI and a SRI, buy a full kit and have someone else put it on for you, and be prepared to pay a ton. If you're mildly intelligent and take the time to learn what you are putting on your car (since you're going to be ultimately responsible for it anyway), piecing things together is a great way to go.

at the rate i'm going, my kit is going to cost ~$1300 for an intercooled T25 but i'm only buying pieces when i find spectacular deals and i'm okay with it taking 6 months to piece together.

truthfully, they're all the same parts in the end. a greddy blow off valve is the same whether it is from a kit or bought it separately. the only headaches i've seen so far are in getting a manifold & downpipe custom made, but even those issues seem to be easily remedied.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

theres manifolds out there for t25s
Old Oct 14, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

yea, cnfx has a nice ceramic great quality turbo mani, tsi, and of course rrm's up/dn pipe set.

personally i think cnfx's design is best out there as of now, its heavy duty and straight forward, plus its cheaper than the other options.

to respond to the first post:
go custom, i new nothing about these cars and by doing some searching and annoying some guru's, i built an entire kit from scratch for 1200 bucks, only problem was it needed a 20 dollar wg spring to be a perfect kit.

heres my thread, look it over, you'll see almost everything u need to make a custom kit.:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=134107
Old Oct 14, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

i honestly didn't know those were out there. that cnfx one looks like it is going to be my purchase. i'll have to do some research. :-)
Old Oct 14, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RPW makes a nice tubular turbo manifold. I pieced my kit together and it cost roughtly 4k all said and done. The price adds up quick when you use good parts matched with good tuning and buying everything brand new.
Old Oct 14, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

anyone have a link to the ceramic turbo manifold
Old Oct 15, 2005, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

I keep telling people this. My base kit that I pieced together was about the same price as RRM non-IC'ed kit. The only difference was that mine was intercooled and it included all the electronics (SAFC, SITC, AVCR, gauges) and all of the fuel stuff (Aeromotive FPR, 460cc injectors etc).
Old Oct 15, 2005, 08:36 AM

here is a link to the cnfx mani
http://www.cnfxperformance.com/index...22_70_82_88_99
Old Oct 15, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

hey airquez....questions for ya since you have an SAFC installed. i think i should make one part of my turbo install. would there be any reason i couldn't hook it up before i actually get to the install? would i be able to realize any benefits from having it? the threads i've seen, people say they are getting much better gas milage. any thoughts?
Old Oct 15, 2005, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

umm....
Old Oct 15, 2005, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by datdjrobp
hey airquez....questions for ya since you have an SAFC installed. i think i should make one part of my turbo install. would there be any reason i couldn't hook it up before i actually get to the install? would i be able to realize any benefits from having it? the threads i've seen, people say they are getting much better gas milage. any thoughts?
I had my AFC connected from back in my aspirated days. My mods back then where Eclipse 60mm TB, 2G turbo Eclipse MAS, UDP, Injen CAI and some other NA mods I forget (no header, no full exhaust) and I did see some gains from it. I still bottlenecked on the top end, but in low and mid range, against 90% of Hondas, I was unbeatable (well maybe 80% ). I had a lot of "air" mods and needed to adjust the fuel to compensate.

If yo uare currently aspirated, you can see some benefits, albeit minor probably, but at least you would be able to tinker with and get familiar with the AFC unit. You might be able to tweak the air / fuel curve to get more power or better gas mileage, but beware, most of the "gains" I hear about on here, I am skeptical about without a dyno to back it up. Mind you, I KNOW I gained from the AFC because with the "air" mods I had, I was running so lean, the car would stall sometimes on idle. Nonetheless, the only concern I would have is aesthetics. At separate times, I installed the SAFC, then the SITC, then all my gauges, then my AVCR, then my turbo timer .... the ECU was a mess with 15 different splices in for the power and ground and what not ... I didnt care, I much would prefer speed over looks but if you care, you might want to do it all at once and solder one connection only.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

what would be the best turbo to purchase to build this kit around. I want to do it with stock internals. I will upgrade later? I want only 5-7 boost for not but i want to the best turbo i can get with as little mods to make it fit
Old Oct 16, 2005, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SuckaFree
what would be the best turbo to purchase to build this kit around. I want to do it with stock internals. I will upgrade later? I want only 5-7 boost for not but i want to the best turbo i can get with as little mods to make it fit
when you go turbo it's all or nothing, partwise. you'll need a turbo exhaust manifold, downpipe, turbo, blow off valve, fuel management, upgraded fuel pump, piping, and then some way to tune the whole thing once it's installed. honestly, the turbo you choose, be it a T25, T28, T3/4, will depend on how much HP you want to make. i would guess you're sitting in the T25/T28 range if you only want to boost 5-7.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

well which turbo is the better one. plus which one is better for long road trips?

Quick Reply: Turbo kit vs. Custom kit