Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Custom Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Downpipe

Hey guys, Seems Im always full of stupid questions and heres another...

Just food for my thought, i'm still considering part sourcing a t28/25 turbo, purchasing a manifold, and then getting a custom downpipe made to save even more costs on this turbo project. So how hard would it be for an exhaust shop like either A) a midas or mineke, or B) local exhaust shop, to fab a downpipe for a t25/28 from a stock DSM with internal waste gate? Obviously the flange attached tot he turbo is large since it is collecting the gasses from both the outlet and the wastegate opening and they would have to fab that. I guess i'm still a little confused about what the downpipe looks like where it conencts to the turbo outletsince i've never seen one. Is it a large flange with two pipes (one for wastegate, one for turbine outlet) that merge into the downpipe (kinda a 2 into 1 pipe). Also what would be a general cost for this to be fabbed up. I can get a decent manifold for around 400, and the turbo i'm sure i can scavenge up for around 200, so if i can get a decent price on the down pipe and the oil lines it saves me a ton of money right there instead of buying a non IC'd turbo kit since i'm doing all the fuel tuning and piping work myself.

Second,...How the hell would i get my car there to get all of this fabbed up? I'd like to have it all done while my car is still driveable since its my only car right now. All i can think of is drive it there with the stock manifold on, bring the turbo and turbo manifold, have them remove the stock mani, mock up the turbo and turbo manifold and design the downpipe, then put my stock stuff bac on? I just cant figure out how to get my car there with the turbo and manifold preinstalled without running it with no downpipe, which is no good.... how did you guys get it fabbed up so it fits perfect...

Ok i'm done rambling
Old Mar 18, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

bump?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

haha if you tell mufflar shop to put your mani and turbo they are gonna say no!! or charge you hell lot!!! best way is get the messurment done and tell them to make it closest to your messure with flex pipe, so even if it little off you can put it on. or which ever manifold you are getting ask them if you can buy their downpipe! since same manifold with same size turbo;(t25,t28,gt28) then it should line up! some body recall if i wrong!