Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

BOV Vent To Atmosphere

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOV Vent To Atmosphere

Hey guys

I recieved a free BOV over the weekend, The only prob is that it vents to atmosphere. So me and a friend of mine had some down time, so we hooked up. At first it stalled like i read it would but then we adjusted the spring compression now it makes the cool sound and dosent stall at idle.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

shouldnt be a problem on a turbo ES, the reason that VTA stalls out on evo's is because the ECU expects the blow off to be recirculated. On most aftermaket bolt on turbo kits that are put on NA engines the BOVs are VTA. The reason it stalled may have been because the spring pressure wasnt enough to keep the BOV closed and it leaked, which caused the stalling.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Thats not necessarily true. THe reason why VTA causes stalling in cars depends on the placement of the MAF sensor. If you put the sensor just after the air filter pre compression then the air that is being blown out of the BOV is still being accounted for in the air/fuel readings because technically the car says "ok the air came in, unless theres a leak it can only go to the engine, so lets count that air". It you place the MAF just before the TB between the throttle plate and the BOV then the air is being counted by what is entering the engine and if air is being vented to atmosphere then it is not blowing through the MAF. So basic rule of thumb (if your air flow sensor is placed just after your air filter before the intake on the turbo, then you will need to vent your bov back to the intake plumbing. If it is placed between the throttle body and the bov, then the sensor is reading the air left over after the bov has already vented, so it accounts for what is actually entering the engine. In either case with the turbo'd 4g93 the air flow sensor can still read the air entering the system up to around 9 or 10 psi if placed on the pressurized side of things. after that you are overrunning the sensor and you need to place it on the intake side of the turbo or upgrade
Old Apr 11, 2006, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

I have the MAF just after the Filter and before the BOV. I have put about 25 miles on it and it hasent stalled at all, it seams to be running fine.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

The reason why the car is working *fine* the way you have it right now is because you probably have the BOV set too hard and it is not pushing out enough air in between shifts. I'm willing to bet you are having some minor compressor surge which is a big no no. If the BOV is set too hard and it isn't pushing enough compressed air out during the shift then yeah, you are running properly because the air that was read by the MAF is still in the charge pipe, however all that air is rushing back to your turbo and causing the compressor wheel to "surge". I'm willing to bet during shifts you hear a slight fluttering noise, thats compressor surge. Bad for the turbo
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

For a second i thought maybe you were talking about a BOV on an intake with no turbo kit, but thats stupid haha, yes, so still, all of my above posts are still relevant

Last edited by Sicktght311; Apr 11, 2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

i just took the car for a spin, and everything sounded the same as before. I hear no flutter sound, is there away to find out if i have compression surge?

Could the reason that I am not hearing the flutter be becouse I am only running like 5 PSI?

Last edited by mitch44759; Apr 11, 2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

No matter what boost you are running i wouldnt really mess with Surge. My suggestion is just be better safe than sorry, either relocate the Air sensor to post BOV, or Vent the BOV back to the intake. You may not always hear the compressor surging, its just not good no matter what. Kills the life of the turbo
Old Apr 11, 2006, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

ok i guess i will get over the sound even tho it sounds awsome>
Old Apr 11, 2006, 09:31 AM

wow, you guys think everyone is a noob or something. We didnt just throw a bunch of washers in the bov and go off boosting all over town. The spring rate was increased progressively till it opened at the right time. If anything its still a tad soft. That's better safe than sorry.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is still the wastegate to make the cool sound Assuming thats still vented and not recirced.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vent it back in. Car will be faster too, although if venting to atmosphere Middle School aged girls will follow you home!

ROAD/RACE
Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

dang the middle school girls are hard to pass up, heh heh [sarcasm].
Old Apr 11, 2006, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

BOV>wastegate imo PaahhCHINK!!!! WAMMMMM!!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 04:56 PM

considering the wastegate sounds like a huge boost leak i concur

Quick Reply: BOV Vent To Atmosphere