Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Blown turbo? More serious?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow,

I ghetto rigged up a recirc port today. pvc plumbing Tee, 1" hose fittings, and a 1" hard plastic pool filter pipe (the corrugated style that they use for sump pumps too). I dont know if its the filter pipe, or the pvc elbow but man, that evo bov sounds crazy. It chirps with a whistle like a pissed off bird. Sounds like a higher pitched Greddy Type S, plus its completely audible even revving it at idle. So that solved the stalling, sputtering, etc problems. the Car idles and drives completely fine now.

HOWEVER

I think the FMU is no good. It was a used TSI Fmu that came with the turbo and manifold that i bought off the guy. I'm running dead lean according to my narrowband when i hit boost. My egts were rising a little higher than before (around 1250 from a quick 3/4 throttle boost) and i pullde the #4 plug out and the tip is white. I'm going to order a replacement FMU today, hopefully have it here by mid week and then swap em out and see if that fixes it. Hopefully it does because everything else is running great! I've got a little smoke coming from the downpipe and turbo area after those few lean pulls but my feed line leaked a tad yesterday so theres still some stuff on the bottom of the turbo and i'm sure running lean is making everything really hot. So we'll see what it does when i swap out the fmu and the feed line fitting.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Also i'm getting a little bit of smoke burning off from the flexpipe after a few quick boosting runs. The exhaust from the turbo outlet all the way to the cat is all brand new, could it be some of the oil from when i was having blowby due to the blocked drain port? I'm thinking of spraying downt he turbo and exhaust outsides with degreaser one day when they are cold and letting them dry off overnight and degrease/oil
Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

why are you boosting at all if your fmu aint working? thats the only thing controlling your fuel
Old Jun 18, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

No i'm not boosting at all. My car has been sitting in my driveway for a few days now. I just took it out for a quick drive down the block once i put the BOV recirc tube in to see if thats what was causing the vac leak to the FMU, but alas, it was still running lean. I ordered a new 12:1 fmu tonight. hopefully i will recieve it mid week and swap it out real quick and it will be fixed. if not, then i will be installing a fuel pressure gauge and seeing if i have a pressure leak anywhere, possibly checking out the walbro too. Don't see why a brand new one would be bad though, but i hear it has happened before. I have a feeling it is the FMU though. Right after i got my exhaust installed i took a few runs (while i was having the smoking issue) and my readings were rich when i hit boost and i didnt see any problems. So i'm thinking the FMU just up and crapped out. We'll see later this week.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard about some nightmares happening from dying/dead FMUs. There is a stage 2 Lancer on here who blew up his engine cuz his FMU was leaking, lost fuel pressure and viola - instant toasted piston rings. I've seriously considered getting an adjustable FPR.

On a side note - is it normal to hit boost just by revving it in neutral? I ask because I can't seem to get my turbo to boost from revving it in neutral. And its difficult to boost while in first gear - however, out of first it boosts fine and holds boost well. I do have my stock downpipe on still.... could I just be choking the exhaust enough that it can't spool while in first/neutral?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Z_Lancer_Man
On a side note - is it normal to hit boost just by revving it in neutral? I ask because I can't seem to get my turbo to boost from revving it in neutral.
Depending on the size of the turbo, generally, yes.

On my Talon Tsi (few years ago, now corpsed), I can get 1 lbs boost around 1.8 or 2.2K rpm (foggy memory) on my 14b while in neutral. I can rev up to 4K rpm and suddenly let go of the throttle and hear the BOV releasing the pressure. BTW: my car was stock.

For my other friend, he has a 20g in his 1g eclipse. He can manually rev the throttle by hand up to 6.5K and release it; of course, the Tial BOV goes off like a stereotypical, powerful supra that most people hear in racing vids.

And its difficult to boost while in first gear - however, out of first it boosts fine and holds boost well. I do have my stock downpipe on still.... could I just be choking the exhaust enough that it can't spool while in first/neutral?
Despite the rpm in 1st gear (never went pyscho rpm, just normal or short shifting it), I don't remember ever hitting boost nor the BOV sound, but I was never paying attention.

BTW: I'm not really a turbo expert. My talon lasted me for a short while after a rebuilt 14b, but I could never trace my overheating problem to what sensor and gave up on the project.

Last edited by bahamut; Jun 19, 2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

You can get the BOV to sound off in neutral if you rev it high enough to get the turbo spinning enough, but you wont hit boost. The car needs to put under load to be expelling a lot more volume of air to be effectively driving the turbines. At idle the exhaust gases coming out arent that much, so its only spinning the blades so much. Same thing with first gear, the load on the engine is still light so the exhaust volume is much lower than higher gears
Old Jun 18, 2006, 10:42 PM
Account Disabled

you should easily be able to boost in first gear...if you can't...maybe something is wrong
Old Jun 19, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll try it out somemore - its usually so short I don't even really notice.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

im having the same problems with the smoke from the flex pipe.. scares the crap outta me lol... keep us posted on your minor adjustements
Old Jun 19, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Ok so as a preventative measure, if the FMU swap doesnt fix the deadlean problem, what next? Check the fuel pump? If thats good then pressure of the whole system? Just tryin to get my checklist goin here in the even the FMU swap does not solve the problem. I'm runnin the BKR7E plugs gapped to .27-.30 too
Old Jun 19, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

What size of injectors do you have? Is it the right ohm? If you are using stock injectors, you're going to be in trouble. Check out RCengineering's injector formula for TC application: http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm#WORKSHEET

If your fuel pump was bad, you'll get erratic fuel reading on your fuel gauge.

Last edited by bahamut; Jun 19, 2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Stock injectors are perfectly fine with a 12:1 FMU. Check out RRM's kit, its what they use on stage 1 and they have tons of customers with at least 2 years on the kits no problems. No need for injector upgrade until you up the boost past 7psi
Old Jun 20, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

And as for the fuel pump the car behaves normally until the turbo spools up, then like i said it goes dead lean. Sounds like the FMU though. I dont have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up....YET....its one of those gauges that i do want to get. I'm insane about watching over gauges at all times so once this gets up and running correctly i'm picking up the RRM HVAC 3 gauge panel and putting in Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure, and one more gauge possibly water temp, on top of my EGT, Boost, and Soon to be replacing Narrowband with the AEM Uego which i will keep on the A pillar at eye's view.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

man it has to be a fmu no big deal alot cheaper then a new engine i hate worryin about the fmu dieing out on me thats why you get a fuel pressure gauge and always glance at it while boostin second its lower then normal u can save ur enigne as for the bov i can rev in nuetral and here it at almost any rpm above 3k and as for first gear i boost a full 7 psi

Quick Reply: Blown turbo? More serious?