Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Blown turbo? More serious?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well now i'm totally stumped. Driving to the train station today i decided to check something for the hell of it. I started in 1st gear only about 15-20% throttle and watched my narrowband bonce back and forth until i can read the point where the ECU triggers Open Loop function. Before i turbo'ed my car it would bounce back and forth until about 3200 rpms when it was go into open loop and it would then stick on rich, about halfway between full rich and the first bar of stoich yellow. NOW i do the same and once the ecu triggers Open Loop it goes to dead lean. I first thought it was only doing this at boost but now i realize its doing it at any throttle position, at Open Loop, regardless of whether i'm in positive pressure or not. I was doing about -10 on my vac/boost gauge and nowhere near spool up when sure enough, open loop, dead lean. So now i'm thinking something with the ecu? Would something as simple as disconnecting the battery terminal and then reconnecting to let the car relearn the curves solve it? I thought back a little ways and the last time i disconnected the negative battery terminal was BEFORE i had fixed the issue with the VTA blowoff valve. Could the ecu just be undercompensating since i was VTA and going super rich during its learn process? i'm not home yet to test it out but i figured you guys might have some insight....

Also after the car has been sitting overnight or bone cold it blows a tad bit of smoke out the exhaust for the first minute or two until it has warmed up a little. Normal for a used turbo with so so seals?
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

THAT FIXED IT! the fmu is fine! its a 14:1 and i ordered a 12:1 so i'll swap them out anyway to get a little less fuel at WOT, but man does the car haul ***. I still need to douse the turbo in carb cleaner/degreaser and clean some of the crap thats burning off of it, but man its sooo nice to have it running properly. At full throttle at full 5psi to about 5500 rpm i was peaking at around 1300 for my egts, 1000-1100 at cruising, and between 850 and 950 at idle. I felt 3rd gear grind a little even when i shifted so i know the power is hittin the ground at least
Old Jun 20, 2006, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

get a nice act 2600lb clutch and some good tires and youll love it more
Old Jun 21, 2006, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

So heres my last post for this thread since everything is up and running correctly. Just want to address 1 or 2 questions just to make sure i'm getting the same thigns everyone else is....

1) EGTs, I'm running around 900F at idle, 1300F at highway cruising around 65mph, and i peaked about 1450F-1500F when i made a quick pull last night. Looks good right?

2) slight hesitation in the transition between vac and boost, thats just a sign of a worn turbo right? Nothing stumbly or anything, just kinda slouches for a second.

3) During that slouch period the Narrowband dips to deadlean for a second or two and then all the way up to rich i guess when the FMU kicks in. Normal?
Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

I don't hit 1300 degrees NA unless I'm doing 80mph. At 65 I believe its down at 1200 RyanBush (the original TSi kit dude) his EGT's after turbo were significantly lower than NA (long time ago can't rememebr) but when his engine blew and he took it apart everything was covered in black deposits (too rich). Find out what it says above 65 mph. My peaks and stays at 1300 from 80 to 90. I haven't gone faster than 90 and read the gauge. I was reading once that turbo deisel trucks were looking for 1275 at 65mph while pulling a load for optimal power.