Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Found Ripp Mod Supercharger on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2006, 06:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I seem to remember hearing about more. I don't have names/dates, but my opinion about RIPP is pretty obvious. So I'll shut up.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerChicka84
I found this while searching ebay a little bit ago. Itts the ripp Mod supercharger Tuner package.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=140023122732

it seems like a good deal to me u saved 250... might be a chance for someone to save a bit of cash... i wish i could find one for the ralliart

Thanks
Well considering that this is for Lancer 02+, and I am assuming that they mean ES OZ etc., I would think that RR non-intercooled would be a much safer purchase for only $49 more, and you would'nt have to relocate your battery as well. Even for Ralliart the extra $1500 for RR turbo, well again, just consider it insurance against kaboom!!!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 06:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Amen. $49 to be 100% safer...
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
I seem to remember hearing about more. I don't have names/dates, but my opinion about RIPP is pretty obvious. So I'll shut up.
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Amen. $49 to be 100% safer...

I just don't get this. Will someone PLEASE tell me when the production version of the SDS has blown up on a lancer. I have been on these boards since the kit was introduced and as far as I know it hasn't happened. Their kits HAVE blown up other cars, and when people make vague references about SDS being unsafe I have always thought they were talking about the tune-yourself Tiburon kits or some of the older DSM kits which indeed were associated with blown engines. Now it looks like these references have morphed into false claims about the lancer. I have come to expect them from RRM and its former employees, but a moderator?

<IF SOMEONE CAN PROVE ME WRONG I WILL TAKE BACK ALL OF THIS.>

RRM kits blow up cars and no one seems to care. Don't get me wrong, I like RRM, I buy their products, but do we really need an RRM lovefest every time someone tries to sell something different? In many areas RRM products are the best out there, sometimes they're not, sometimes they're overpriced, and sometimes different people want different things. I bought the SDS because I wanted something different, and I do think that it is just as safe as an RRM kit if not safer. My AFR is 10.5-10.8 across the powerband, to me that's pretty damn safe. There have been some pretty effed-up readings off of RRM kits, that doesn't sound like 100% safe to me.

The customer service from Ripp has been pretty sh**y, the power is less than I had initially hoped, but I have said all of this before. Everyone seems to be focused on stuff that hasn't happened instead of the facts.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Ok, Ok, don't get you giblets in an uproar. I don't know crap about the SDS blowing engines I just know that there are a hell of a lot more people on here with RR or RPW kits and I don't here them complaining, they have had there stuff well road tested and thats the "insurance". E-bay makes me nervous anyway. I'm not 'n RR or RPW I just know I would look there before ebay. You said yourself that the customer service was "sh**y" and the gains were'nt as much as you hoped. Your pretty far from the 220hp that that kit advertises. Like I pointed out, you have to relocate your battery for that kit also. A question was asked and we answered thats all. It's ok to disagree, it's all good
Old Sep 1, 2006, 08:27 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

jeemybo - yeah, you have the production kit. Not the tuner kit. So, last I checked, that means you have the BlackBox that keeps you safe. I'm really not going to spend my morning hunting down the name/ID/story of every car that's blown up with a turbo/SC kit. RIPP had failures before the BlackBox was created. Hence the 5 different * notes on their description of the kit. Not every blowup is an EvoM user, as well, so I can't exactly hand you story after story.
RIPP is now selling a SC kit with no tuning material. That is inherently unsafe. 90% of potential customers would not know how to safely/properly fuel a turbo/SC setup.

I'm not pimping for RRM. I know they're not perfect. But I also know that a lot of RRM failures are mechanical (HotShot940's failed FMU comes to mind) or user error (wrong plugs, poor install, etc). I feel that I'd be a lot safer with the RRM kit at the moment.

Here's the honest truth - if I still had a Lancer and had money to burn, I'd want to SC it. I personally prefer the way SC works to the way TC works. BUT knowing how RIPP currently sells their kit and also how crappy their customer service is, I'd never go to them.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

i'll tell the honost truth, the sds kit only came with the black box for the lancer, there was only 1 and i said only 1 accident with the sds on the lancer which is my bro when he got it. zooracer. but that was all in the pre-production, basically a prototype. and i had the car after it and never had a problem till i sold it. thats the only thing i had trouble with the kit was selling it cause the car wasn't for me