Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Differences in Turbos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, gt-28. now is that by garret as well. is it ball bearing and have the same flange as the t-25? whats the hp limit? thanks and good luck on that custom turbo build your on.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krnzzang84720
try GT28, that's what i am using. Almost done with parts hunt!!! saving money to buy parts cheap on deals on ebay, but taking so long time!!! almost done, we will boosting by feb!!! from what i know gt28 spool around 2500rpm and full boost around 3000rpm, i think that is very good with our rev limiter!!!
You pay what you get. Tons of money.

A used T25 can be fetched under 150 bucks w/ S&H while a GT28 will fetch you premium price: http://turbostore.com/garrettgt28.html . . . You should also know a GT28 can stretch beyond 6K rpm, and the G94 will hamstring its full potential. Otherwise, if you are not chasing after Omar's mark . . . it's a waste of effort and money. If you want to spend nearly a grand for a turbo, it's your money.

Example: You want to be a marathon runner; in order to be competitive, you ask a doctor to graft you a third lung.

BB technology adds more price to the tag. It's like wanting a 6 spd auto tranny for a lancer.

"dont want to push it to its limits."
A reg T25 or 14b will do the job being cost effective.

If you get a GT28 and only run it at 5 psi, it's just sad, pathetic, and a big waste of money like signing Shaq on your basketball to only play as a point guard instead of a center.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The differences between turbos can usually be summed up in any combination of 5 differences:
  • Compressor housing size
  • Compressor wheel size
  • Turbine housing size
  • Turbine size/material
  • Bearing type (thrust/ball bearing)

And then there are other matters like water cooled, oil cooled, internally or externally wastegated. This is just more of a general outline than anything else though.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

wow guys, theres more to this than i expected. all the info has been very helpful though pointing me in the direction of more questions. i think i need to invest more time in reading up on turbos their parts/types and how these work and effect performance. i still feel very lame and should probally further educated my self be fore making this investment.
guess it just buys me more time to save and hammer the car payments.

one more question though.

can any one suggest a good non bias informative read on turbo technology. be it a book or internet info. barnes and noble can get just about anything so shoot away if you know of some.
oh yeah did anyone catch the evolutionM evo shootout in sportcompactcar. good read.
thanks again in advance, love this site. blah blah blah sometimes i never shutup