Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

HMT EVO 16g6 Project

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 16g6 Project

Heres my kit I put together myself. This is all the stuff I gathered in about one week, so that meens the UPS man will be at my house all next week.

Ill keep you posted as I start the project and Ill try to remember to take pics as I go.

Im just missing a few thing like oil feed line, and coolant hoses.

Used Evo 8 16g, Manifold, o2 housing....................evom.net............... ...........$315

Used Evo 8 Stock EVO DP..................................evom.net...... .........................$20
Note: Fits awesome doesnt hit anything, but I had to cut the end and lengthen it about 12 inches. I had to had a o2 sensor bung for stock sensor, and one for the Wideband if you have a wideband gauge. the EVO DP is metric size but 2.5" exhaust pipe fits great.

Used Evo 8 FMIC & All Pipes................................evom.net..... .........................$125
Note: The lower IC pipes on the drivers side had to be cut to make it fit right tho, but thats no biggie. And the IC bolts right in. Also you have to lose you crash bar or cut it.

Stock Evo Oil Return Line....................................evom.net.. ..........................$5
Note: Cut the stock evo one. tap the pan,a 1/2 brass nipple to a 90* 1/2 elbow, to a 1/2 barb to oil line and hook the upper half of the EVO oil return line to it

Ebay Intake for OZ,ES,LS lancer........................................Ebay .................................................. ....$57.95
Note: I had to cut it up in several place to make it fit.

4g94 Head Flange.........http://bmcrace.com/products/flanges/........................$36
Note: Works good to reflange the ebay EVO header

AEM 6-in-1 Gauge Type Wideband UEGO Controller #30-4100......Ebay..........$256.95
Note: easy to install works great and it comes with a o2 bung.

9" Push fan........................................Ebay... .................................................. ..$46.95
Note: it replaces the A/C fan cause the stock one is to thick and would hit the turbo

Walbro 255......................................evom.net. .................................................$ 65
Note: Read on to install in the How to forum.

Vortech 12:1 FMU.............................Honda-tech.com.......................................$45
Note: Just a temparory fix. to get you fuel right with turbo.Install in How to forum. with my set up I get an AFR of 11.0-11.5 when boosting. Best to get bigger injectors,EM and a Tune good tune instead of using an FMU.

Ebay Triple Gauge Pod....................................Ebay....... ............................................$34.90
Note: Fits great

52mm Prosport Boost Gauge...................prosportgauges.com........ .................$42.24
Note: Must have to read your boost

52mm Prosport Oil Pressure Gauge......... prosportgauges.com........................$43.24
Note: Good to have to read your Oil Pressure

85-87 Volvo 740 2.3L Wastegate Actuator 5psi..............Juckyard....................$5
Note: Need it to change the stock EVO one that set to 17psi i think. right now with the volvo one im running psi.

SSAC/XSpower Header............................................ Ebay.............................................. ...$137.38
Note: The ports line up to the New flange better than stock Iron manifold. there cheap but known to crack. I took a chance and go it anyway. stock 2003 evo with the 9.8cm smaller exhaust housing for a quicker spool. 04+ have an 10.9 exhaust housing.

After I get all the bugs worked out. ill install my 440cc wrx injectors and get a EM havent decided on one yet tho, or ill get a custome tune.

Last edited by 01G_WRX_02; Jan 23, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

what kind of manifold are you using?
Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

tubular manifold with the head flange reweld

Last edited by 01G_WRX_02; Jan 23, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Aa EVO manifold w/ a 4g94 flange welded on? I hope the runner spacing is the same on the exhaust ports.

Sounds like its gonna be a nice setup. Did you also get and oil feed line to connect to the turbo? Just dont see it in the list.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I'd be shocked if the evo dp worked.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phil_
Aa EVO manifold w/ a 4g94 flange welded on? I hope the runner spacing is the same on the exhaust ports.

Sounds like its gonna be a nice setup. Did you also get and oil feed line to connect to the turbo? Just dont see it in the list.
yeah im getting that local once I get the trubo in the mail. Ill be using standard brake line for it.

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I'd be shocked if the evo dp worked.

I dont think it will but it looks similar and I know ill have to do some cutting to it and had adding more pipe to it so I can take the 2nd cat out.
Old Oct 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Why were 2 headers mentioned? The Ebay one and then the SSAC one? Wish you the best on fitting this kit up...
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

yeah I messed it up, I fixed it tho.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

I can tell you the the 4g63 manifold wont work, the ports are way different and spaced differently, the oil return line wont work, and wheres the oil feed line? I would also go with a 16" push fan, as 9" is a bit small for replacing both stock fans, with the evo dp, I can bet that your oil pan is going to be in the way as well. I am glad to see a aem wideband in the bunch though, but I would do something about the fmu, thats just asking for trouble.
Phillip
Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by prench
I can tell you the the 4g63 manifold wont work, the ports are way different and spaced differently, the oil return line wont work, and wheres the oil feed line? I would also go with a 16" push fan, as 9" is a bit small for replacing both stock fans, with the evo dp, I can bet that your oil pan is going to be in the way as well. I am glad to see a aem wideband in the bunch though, but I would do something about the fmu, thats just asking for trouble.
Phillip

I know the 4g63 manifold wont work. Im rewelding a 4g94 flange on it. The Oil return line I planed to cut the flex section out and add a peice of hose what ever length I need. The oil feed as said in a previous post Ill be using standard brake line for it, I have done it before. Im only replacing the passenges side fan with and 9" 1050-1400 CFM thats plenty and thats the only size fan you can fit in the front of the radiator. As for the DP Im only using it for the flanges and Ill be making the rest of it. Then FMU is only a temporary thing untill I can decide on what EM to get.

Last edited by 01G_WRX_02; Oct 22, 2006 at 01:04 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

what size fittings are you gonna be running for the Oil feed-side and Discharge side?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by phil_

You need to lengthen the runners by about 1.75" to clear the water pipe on the front of the block with the EVO 16G6. I did all the fab work that he's trying to do on a friend's Lancer. The spacing on the runners is also a PITA. You can line up the middle two and weld into place. But the outer runners need to be pulled in closer to line up to the 4G94 flange. A large clamp on outer runners will pull both of them in enough to weld into place. Other than that, an EVO 16G6 and EVO manifold with the 4G94 flange works nicely. Cheers!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
You need to lengthen the runners by about 1.75" to clear the water pipe on the front of the block with the EVO 16G6. I did all the fab work that he's trying to do on a friend's Lancer. The spacing on the runners is also a PITA. You can line up the middle two and weld into place. But the outer runners need to be pulled in closer to line up to the 4G94 flange. A large clamp on outer runners will pull both of them in enough to weld into place. Other than that, an EVO 16G6 and EVO manifold with the 4G94 flange works nicely. Cheers!

I only think it will hit a little I can just cut the peice off.

Originally Posted by AznFlip
updates (more pics...)

Manifold and turbo installed. I'm having a little fitting problem on the turbo because of the stock oil feed bracket, but no big deal, I'll just grind it off...

Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

heres some pics of what I have to far.

DP not in the pic. i polished the UICP and part of the IC tanks.

heres the 4g94 flange on top of the Evo manifold to

more

more

heres my Volvo Waste gate set up.

more

Last edited by 01G_WRX_02; Oct 24, 2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 07:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That flange is DAMN close.. I am doing something similar on a honda civic with my old spare evo turbo..

Quick Reply: HMT EVO 16g6 Project