Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Ebay Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay Turbo Kit

I was browsing eBay just now and i wandered upon this:

eBay Turbo Kit

they also have manifolds:

eBay Manifold

just thought you guys might like to check it out.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

never trust the ebay parts...personally^^
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:37 AM
Evolved Member

the turbo kit page isnt working for me but the manifold is just a weld together log style manifold. Same that A2 and spooled motorsports use. The manifold should be fine (as long as it fits good) but I can't comment on the turbo kit. You just never can tell with ebay
Old Oct 27, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

I'd trust this seller, personally... 100 % feedback from 70 orders and they repsond with exact answers from the buyers responses. If the pics were closer I could examine the welds better... Oh well. Oh yeah, and their TIG welded, not MIG like others out there !
Old Oct 28, 2006, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

It doesn't appear that the battery is in place. There is no overall shot but there is one where you can see the driver side engine mount and I would think the battery should cover that up. If you had to relocate the battery thats kinda ghey.
Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's my opinion on "Ebay turbo kits" overall..

They are a good value if you aren't expecting much from them..

Generally their incomplete, and only come with enough of the parts absolutely needed to do an install, but most of the parts are not designed specifically for the car. They generally are missing oil lines, fittings, flanges, etc..

The turbos are generally chinese knock-offs, it doesnt mean their bad, but don't expect them to last like an OE turbo or name brand might..

I ordered a cheap turbo kit from SSAutochrome for my Honda, this was intended to see what parts it came with and what it took to get installed..

The turbo was fairly nice, but obviously a knockoff, the hot side housing looks like a copy of a copy casting, The clearances and machining is decent, but over-all its a good "stand-in" for a good turbo that will have to eventually be put in there.

There were no Oil lines or fittings..

The intercooler had no brackets to mount it, which means making something that works..

The Wastegate was a knock-off of a Tial, although it was a pretty good copy and machined well.

Those were the bad things.....

The good things about it..

The Manifold was stainless, the welds were robotic and the metal flanges and pipe were fairly thick, cracking could be a problem, but if you properly brace it, you shouldn't have trouble. The quality of the manifold was actually not all that bad, as long as your not expecting $500 product for a $100 part..

The Intercooler pipes fit right.. Surprisingly, and they routed right..

The Intercooler actually looked to be a decent core, internally it was a bar and plate, and wasn't some repurposed radiator core, It could use improvement, but definitely worth the money..

And the downpipe was actually pretty nice and fit right, though I can see it being a problem due to the thickness of the stainless it was manufactered out of, and it was missing the O2 sensor bung.

The summary...

Every part was a knock-off and copied from a major manufacturer, from the TurboXS knockoff BOV, Tial knockoff wastegate, Turbo, Intercooler, etc..

You are getting a bargain **IF** you can complete the install and have the fabrication skills to do it, it will give you the minimum parts necessary to be considered a kit, and if you have to pay someone to do the install, its **NOT** worth the money, if your doing it yourself, have some skills, and are patient enough to order missing parts as you come across them, then its a value.

There is a reason these kits are $500 or whatever their going for.. And there's a reason why complete kits specific to your car can cost over $2000 or more...

Don't forget engine management too..
Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good writeup Jack!
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:44 AM

ebays manifold welds tend to break often though. and that leads to exhaust leaks.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 02:20 PM

hey guys/girls i am new to the evo site but i am on 6gc.net and all i got to say is the ebay stuff isnt that bad my brothers girl friend is running a 5sfe stock unoped motor it made 119 horsepower with it non-turbo then we put a 150 dollar ebay made turbo on it and it has made 247whp and 272 torque at only 11 psi nothing else besided intake and exhaust. this turbo has been running strong for 2 1/2 years now with no problems i wouldnt put it on an evo but it was very impressive for a 150 shipped turbo and she has an ebay manifold and it still doesnt have any cracks for less the 700 bucks she has made OVER 100% more power. i dont no anout you guys but i am not the rickest man in the world and i like to save money like putting an ebay turbo back on my evo 250 shipped instead of 500 or more imo SOME not all ebay stuff is good for example exhaust and o2 housing
Old Aug 3, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drag87racer
hey guys/girls i am new to the evo site but i am on 6gc.net and all i got to say is the ebay stuff isnt that bad my brothers girl friend is running a 5sfe stock unoped motor it made 119 horsepower with it non-turbo then we put a 150 dollar ebay made turbo on it and it has made 247whp and 272 torque at only 11 psi nothing else besided intake and exhaust. this turbo has been running strong for 2 1/2 years now with no problems i wouldnt put it on an evo but it was very impressive for a 150 shipped turbo and she has an ebay manifold and it still doesnt have any cracks for less the 700 bucks she has made OVER 100% more power. i dont no anout you guys but i am not the rickest man in the world and i like to save money like putting an ebay turbo back on my evo 250 shipped instead of 500 or more imo SOME not all ebay stuff is good for example exhaust and o2 housing
what a way to introduce yourself.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

all i gotta say is you get what you pay for. Its all in how you decide to make things cheap, work.