Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Rocket Fuel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I don't think that's right. I can see a car going the other way around (ie. having a back up map in case you put in too low octane) but remember, we drive econo cars. I've noticed zero performance gains or loses going from 87 to 91, to 89 and back to 87.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will have to try this and see how effective it is. Would you expect to see some gains even without turning up the boost?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

it is much harder to find now most stores dont carry it any more. and if you buy more than a gallon at a time they have to report it to the feds. not sure why but not worth the hassel.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Why are people talking about N/A... This is in the Forced Induction section.... Plus, this isn't just an octane booster... Ethanol, is an octane booster (with lower KE, which makes it crap). This has higher KE and should give some results on NA engines (hypothetically).

Either way, it's for people who boost. You're right, it's harder to find now, maybe because of this loop hole for the automarket?... I mean, any gas station can just dump this stuff in Reg gas to make it "Premium unleaded".... Though in canada they still do have them in a few speciality paint stores.

But I rather buy large barrels of this stuff than buying the C16 stuff straight from the track...At $5 a Gal for bulk for Tou, it'll so be worth it. Plus octane boosters are way more expensive.

If someone can get large quanities of this for next to nothing, it'll be worth distributing to the rest of us.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe this is a stupid question, but has Toluene ever been used in the water/meth injection? Curious what the results would be.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

ive used 101 octane fuel in my car and barely felt any difference at all
Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Why would you do that when you're not boosting or have proper maps for it?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 01:04 AM
Account Disabled

Higher octane gas for the base lancer (n/a or turboed) is like a sugar pill... it wont do anything except make you think like it's a little bit faster. Only reason certain cars have to use higher octane fuels is because their tuning requires it otherwise it'd knock like a mother. The lancer uses **** 87 here in so. cali just fine so no reason to spend the extra money into fooling yourself that you will go faster with "better" gas.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

Refer to this thread for further information on those who needs a boost in octane rating:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hlight=toulene
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

I manage a Sherwin Williams store and have never had anyone come in and by it for these purposes...but with the cost of raw materials solvents keep on rising...
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Unless you tune for the higher octane, it's pointless. Just getting that out there so we don't get a bunch of people complaining that they added this stuff and nothing happened. I've heard that running a higher octane when you don't need to is actually detrimental to the car, you can get deposits in the cylinders and damage to the cat.
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I don't think that's right. I can see a car going the other way around (ie. having a back up map in case you put in too low octane) but remember, we drive econo cars. I've noticed zero performance gains or loses going from 87 to 91, to 89 and back to 87.
Originally Posted by Iamkar33m
Higher octane gas for the base lancer (n/a or turboed) is like a sugar pill... it wont do anything except make you think like it's a little bit faster. Only reason certain cars have to use higher octane fuels is because their tuning requires it otherwise it'd knock like a mother. The lancer uses **** 87 here in so. cali just fine so no reason to spend the extra money into fooling yourself that you will go faster with "better" gas.
I agree. Look on the inside of your gas lid. It says use regular unleaded only, unless you have the rrm piggy you should only use 87. You will see no gains and the higher octane will leave more carbon deposits anyways. 100% waste of time.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I bought 2 gallons the other day and filled my tank with 91 octane (highest pump gas available here in SLC). I figure its about 15% Toulene in the tank, which makes it about 94-95 octane roughly. Supposedly my flash has a high octane map that it switches to- either way it seems to be building boost really fast and pulling harder than before. Reminds me of how it felt driving at sea level on 93 octane when I was in OR last summer. Either way, even if you bump your 91 up to 93 it makes a difference in a turbo car without a tune, everybody knows that... otherwise why would anybody put 93 in their car? Wouldnt we all just run 91 if that were the case? Of course 93 makes more power besides being more safe (preventing detenation). This Toulene stuff isnt cheap tho... it was over $15 per gallon from Sherwin Williams, so I dont think its something I will do often if I do it again... pobably just going to wait til I get a meth/water kit that will be more cost effective over time than race gas.