Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

My custom 16g build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2007, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My custom 16g build

So, after reading up on the two custom 16g builds ive decided to start to build my own. Im bidding right now on a 16g turbo with manifold and internal wastegate.

Im gonna build the kit slowly and update here. Ill also ask any questions I have here.

My only real concern about this custom kit is the manifold. The evo mani would be much to tough to weld and machine the 4g94 flange onto. Im not sure what manifold to go with, I want it to be rock solid.

Here are the two threads im basing my build on and using as reference.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=230409
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=139735

Last edited by mitsuozboi; Jan 8, 2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: added links
Old Jan 7, 2007, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Could go custom, I'm sure there are plenty of shops in your town that could build you a manifold.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

yeah. But it needs to be cost effective as well. I am going this route because I can't afford to spend 5k on a rrm kit. lol

I think it might be easier to find a good mani that works and weld a 4g94 flange to it. less steps in the customization process. But I dunno. Mabey a totally custom one could be better!?!
Old Jan 7, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

There's currently a guy selling his RRM/turbotrix kit for 2000$, I doubt anyone could build a comparable kit for that price. If money is a problem you could try to work out a payment plan with the seller or do what I did and get a loan from your parents and work out a payment plan with them.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

my parents agaisnt me changing anything engine whys on a pretty much new car (28k miles)... Thanks for the info on that but cant swing that right now. Thats my problem. I jumped on this bid because its such a good deal right now. Im gonna try to find good deals on stuff slowly to build the kit. plus I love the 16g turbo.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt the 16g is that much different from the T-28, at least on our application but it is definitely a nice turbo. A custom manifold would probably be the best route, at least in terms of functionality and appearance. You could get a custom downpipe made at the same time with a bung for a wideband O2 and you could have a bung made in the manifold for an EGT probe.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

good point. I would have to drill out a mani anyway. Im going the tunable route. Zeitronix wideband and probably to start off, rrm's piggyback with software. I think those two combined with egt and another boost gauge would be fine.

The evo DP worked I do believe for one of the previous builds. he had to extend it a foot though. also, my exhaust is 2.25". I dunno if the dp would work. he had a 2.5".

Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

If you went custom you could have them make any size you want with any bolt pattern you want. I think that a custom dp would be cheaper than buying a stock evo dp and having it modified to fit.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the cast manifold will be the most durable one you could buy. If you win the auction just get a new engine to manifold gasket and drill the holes need. If that seems to be a problem buy the megan racing stock replacement evo manifold (easier to drill). No need to buy a 4g94 flange (your just adding cost and work).

about the downpipe you can make it whatever you want. I a told you before you can either get a stock evo downpipe (cheap) or get an aftermarket on and add the additional lingth and to what size you need. That wont be that hard.

just refer to those two threads and follow their example. Buy what you can afford and wait till you have everything you need.

Hell i have a fmu sitting in my closet i had on my oz ill send you (you pay shipping) to get you started. This will let you make the piggyback last on your list.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

yeah. I may be able to just drill new holes in the stock evo mani but I dont think the ports line up close enouph to do it w/o getting leaks. Thats why 01G_WRX_02 was gonna weld on the 4g94 flange. He just ended up getting a header that was even close then the evo. Or mabey im just missing something. If I do win the auction Ill be able to really look at it and see.

I might take you up on that fmu.. although I am planning to get piggyback as one of first things since It is helpful right off the bat.

Edit: after looking at it it would probably work.. some holes are very close to the edge though...

Last edited by mitsuozboi; Jan 7, 2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

if you look at his thread he has the gasket on the manifold and the runners line up. On those other pics i showed you (on his thread), you can see that he just drilled new holes (you can see the evo holes still in the manifold). I say way spend more money and put in more effort if you dont have to.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

^^

yup, your right. I see that now. Ill just get a lancer gasket to mark the holes. I think ill have to grind out the outer two ports though. they are a bit off. Thats no biggie though. Thanks for the posts. Hopefully im not to much of a pita. lol
Old Jan 7, 2007, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsuozboi
^^

yup, your right. I see that now. Ill just get a lancer gasket to mark the holes. I think ill have to grind out the outer two ports though. they are a bit off. Thats no biggie though. Thanks for the posts. Hopefully im not to much of a pita. lol
lol no you bring actual ?'s to the forum. You should visit the vw/audi forums. its the same effin people asking how to do the samethings and cant search. THAT makes me mad.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.roadracemotorsports.com/turboparts.htm

Here is your manifold.......
Old Jan 7, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

if that manifold bolted up to a 16g it would be perfect. although it doesnt mention that it fits the 16g. It also uses an external wastegate. I wonder what I need to do to switch over to a external.

Last edited by mitsuozboi; Jan 7, 2007 at 06:10 PM.